Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Police Vehicles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default New Police Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Seriously though, the BMW costs well over double the price of the SS Commodore.
    There was an article in Drive (or similar) about this recently, and they concluded there are actually cost savings with the BMW.

Apparently while the base cost of a Holden is less, the added cost of signwriting, emergency lights and gear inside brings it to more than $120k.

The BMW comes completely fitted out for the $120k. Nothing more to add.

Add into the mix a saving in fuel cost and apparently cheaper servicing and repairs (ie everything is done at BMW instead of having to take the Holden to different locations to get different components repaired) and they will (apparently) be saving money.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That makes sense, Peteramjet, It is often more economical to spend a bit more upfront than purchase on price alone.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That makes sense, Peteramjet, It is often more economical to spend a bit more upfront than purchase on price alone.
    That's not the way government departments operate, Isemmens. In my long service in a government department, I've seen many times where they buy cheap, and pay heavily later down the track.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

hoe was right

NSW Police have just chosen the Chrysler SRT and BMW Twin Turbo Diesel to replace Commodores and Falcons

NSW Police today unveiled the BMW 530d and Chrysler SRT Core as the replacement vehicles to the outgoing Traffic and Highway Patrol Command fleet vehicles, with Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy saying the latest addition is focused on safety and efficiency.
    Having used Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores as the main Traffic and Highway Patrol enforcement vehicles for decades, and with both manufacturers ceasing Australian production last year, the command undertook a global fleet review to identify vehicles best suited for Australian law enforcement purposes.

Following an exhaustive and comprehensive three-year search, which included rigorous assessment and testing of 17 different variants of several vehicles, the BMW 530d and Chrysler SRT Core were chosen to replace Ford and Holden models from July 2018.

“The safety of our police officers and the community they serve is our top priority, and both these vehicles demonstrated the safety levels meeting our requirements,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

“Equally as important, the platform of both vehicles supports the state of the art technology that is key to the government’s focus on reducing the incidents of road trauma across New South Wales.

The BMW and Dodge Chrysler brands provide NSW Police Force with a solid foundation to build on through years of experience in building law enforcement vehicles.

Both vehicles are designed specifically for policing duties and similar models have performed as law enforcement vehicles across North America and Europe for years, and have an established presence in Australia, meaning support and further development will be accessible to the NSW Police Force.
    I have noticed here in Vic, there heaps of Hyundai's on the road as Police cars
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-05-18 at 09:37 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Does it matter what they drive in Victoria? They're not allowed to chase anyone anyway are they?
    Its been reintroduced for over a year now but kept on the down low.

I agree that it should not matter.

With modern tech it should be simple to radio ahead and lay in wait or get a HD image of the plates.

0-100 in 5.8 is still pretty slow.

SRT8 Pursuit cars have good drive lines, lets see if the rest of the car holds together as they are well know as junk quality.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If I was chasing some clown, the last thing I would be concerned about trying to get is the the number plate because these no guarantee its not been stolen from another vehicle.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks

If I were being chased, I'd head for the first bit of dirt. Let's see how these cars handle real Aussie roads.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    0-100 in 5.8 is still pretty slow.
    You hardly need speed anymore in our Nanny state
    Every road coming into my town is an 80k zone for at least 40ks.... Then add School Zones, Traffic, Buses, Trucks.
    You could catch someone on a push bike nowdays
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (27-05-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Few new Vehicles in this neck of the woods

Also plenty of the new V6 AWD Commodores and heaps of unmarked Hyundai's

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (06-09-18)

• 05-09-18, 02:03 PM

Reason
    OT

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Few new Vehicles in this neck of the woods

Also plenty of the new V6 AWD Commodores and heaps of unmarked Hyundai's
    Nice. Out of those, even though the Colorado is new, I'd prefer the cruiser.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Nice. Out of those, even though the Colorado is new, I'd prefer the cruiser.
    Yeah, pretty nice gig getting around in a $80k Luxury 4WD with free fuel
    In my town, they have had the Nissan Patrol 3.0TD for 15 years+, still have it now.
    Yet the next coastal town down the road has always had a Toyota Landcruiser???

I wonder what we would get next, as the Nissan Patrol 3.0TD has come to its end.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-09-18 at 11:03 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, pretty nice gig getting around in a $80k Luxury 4WD with free fuel
    In my town, they have had the Nissan Patrol 3.0TD for 15 years+, still have it now.
    Yet the next coastal town down the road has always had a Toyota Landcruiser???

I wonder what we would get next, as the Nissan Patrol 3.0TD has come to its end.
    That's interesting. I thought the vehicles were leased and returned when they got to a certain age or km's.

Replacement for the Nissan Patrol; maybe the Ford Raptor, Chevy Silverado, Ram or Toyota Tundra, fitted with a hard-top canopy converted to a cage or pod for the specials, but then again I'm dreaming.

They might just opt for having the proven Landcruisers and new Colorado in replacement of Patrols.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 07-09-18 at 12:30 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

OB ,do you mean they have had Patrols for 15 years , not the same Patrol for 15 years? i dont think they last that long lol

we have a couple of Pajeros / Camrys , and HWP have a Yamaha bike. We also have a Colorado for a roadside speed camera unit

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    OB ,do you mean they have had Patrols for 15 years , not the same Patrol for 15 years? i dont think they last that long lol

we have a couple of Pajeros / Camrys , and HWP have a Yamaha bike. We also have a Colorado for a roadside speed camera unit
    Yes mate, that is is what i meant
    In fact, they started with the TD42 way back then, then the 3.0TD until this day, they have turned over many vehicles (not on their roof)
    And they have chewed out many sets of tyres. Yeah, they get a new vehicle every 80,000k or so i'd guess.

They got a set of Mud Terrain tyres once, not the best for high speed work on the curvy black top
    Tyres lasted 20K.... They never got M/T again

LSemmens
    Thanks

They got a set of Mud Terrain tyres once, not the best for high speed work on the curvy black top
    Tyres lasted 20K.... They never got M/T again
    I'd hope that YOU were the supplier....

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (07-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I wonder about the whole speeding thing these days and how big a problem it REALLY is.
    Most people are so terrified with all the bullshit road safety campaigns they are driving 10K UNDER the limit,if not more, all the time.
    Add to that the way speedos all over read these days and the traffic tends to relatively crawl.

I go up the pacific Highway from Sydney often and am generally the fastest moving car on the road well and truly. I drive by the GPS which is accurate and it looks like I'm flying by everyone else when I am actually doing the limit or the 3 Kmh I sometimes set because the Cruise control is hard to get right.
    I much have been past about 20 cop cars with radars ( or lasers or whatever) this year and never pulled over once.

Go up the pacific highway where they are doing all the road work and it's an absolute joke. In the 80 zones the traffic might move at 65 and in the 60 zones it might be 45 but is usually less. Of course nothing more insulting or offensive than crawling along 20K under the limit and going past one of those moronic " How fast are you going now signs" NOT FAST ENOUGH arseholes.

I think the cops only really need anything with any speed in the citys because that's where the crims and real dipshits tend to be. Out on the highways, any modern vehicle will get up and run fast enough to chase someone down in a reasonable time if they are not TRYING to get away.
    If they are then make an assesment of the factors and go from there. Not much good getting numberplates if it's a stolen car and the POS driving is not the owner. You have to get the guy responsible not the one who's name the rego is in.

REPEATEDLY I am put in more danger and frustration by stupid old farts dwardling along or that can't make a positive decision about what they want to do and creating problems for those around them. Yes, I see young hoons doing stupid things but they are well outnumbered and I consider I am put in far more dangerous situations by old twits..... and dare I say it ( although with my wifes total agreeance) Women are the worst offenders.

I'm in 3 minds about police chases. I don't think they should just throw their hands up and say too dangerous because the scum will take advantage of that and get away with murder and more. OTOH, I lived on a main road and what I saw the cops do repeatedly was fking ridiculous. They would fly down the main road in the middle of Sydney with their V8 commodores and falcons screaming in top gear, obviously going 160+. I would hear a motorcycle come fast at full wharp and then 15-30 sec later a string of cop cars would come screaming by. Chasing a bike is ridiculous. I could get away from any car on a slow 600 let alone anything that was considered a remotely fast bike. Time these cops went past, the guy on the bike had made it home, put the bike away, oiled his leathers and was on his 2nd cuppa or beer.

I was Meters from being run down by that POS that went through the mall in Melbourne last year. Not a scratch but I don't mind admitting it well shook me up for months afterwards. I was Effing pissed off when I heard the whole story about them chasing/ following the guy for miles and hours and then acting like a lot of limp wristed pussy's carrying on about it being too dangerous to stop him even when they had him surrounded on a bridge. If he threatens you, shoot the bastard. Yeah I know, All the do gooders will have a sook about police shootings but so what? I have heard it before and asked the whingers if they have ever even held a hand gun in real life let alone shot one. Most will quote the old " shoot them in the leg bullshit showing how Naieve and stupidly TV educated they are.

I tell them I was a low A grade Pistol shooter and on a good day, I could put rounds in a leg size target from 25M away. Of course I had my nice modded gun with the comfy grips, the modded sights and trigger, the hand loaded accurate ammo and the target was a known distance, not moving, no one in the background to worry about and not potentialy shooting back or lunging at me with any other weapon. I used to shoot plenty of snub noses and Glocks doing training and I'd be lucky to make D grade with those POS.

Far as I'm concerned, if there is a low life and you tag him and it just happens to hit him mid chest and he does the room temperature challenge, Oh well, every kid is taught crime doesn't pay. Fk the whining do gooders. Fon't make idiotic policys to appease whingers with too much time and too little knowledge, do what is needed first and foremost. Had the Vic cops grown a pair and dropped this piece of shit when they had the chance, a lot of other people who did nothing wrong would have lived and a lot more would not have been hurt or mentally scarred for life.

If cops are so worried about their safety, become an accountant or go sit behind a desk. Some jobs DO require you have a bit of balls and take some risks. If you are a chicken shit then Fk off and go do a chicken shit job. A lot of people lost their lives, got seriously hurt and got fked up mentally for a very long time because the cops there were too pussy to stop this guy.
    Thanks very much for nothing Vic police. You have my complete contempt and disgust. IF there is not a fine involved these days, they make every excuse not to look after anyone but themselves.

Most cop cars are just platforms for numberplate recognition camera's these days anyhow rather than looking for speeding.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

There is the case of responsibility for police officers.

If your told on the radio to drop the pursuit you do so, if your told to go for it you have permission to pursuit, should a accident occur during it the officer was doing their job.

One thing a police officer needs to do is follow instructions, not pull a gun and start firing away because thats the side of bed he/she got out of in the morning on that day.

Im unsure if i had written this earlier in the thread but i have a few Highway Patrol officers as regular customers for their private family vehicles.

They started off as pretty pissed off that they would be losing their SS Commodores, after talking to some of them i pointed out that getting from A to B was rarely about sheer power to accelerate.

What was more important is the ability to outbrake and steer at a higher mid corner speeds while maintaining safe control of the vehicle.

The level of sophistication of brand name Euro vehicle stability control and electronic braking systems would ensure police office safety while helping them chase cars without it.

When a chased car runs off the road, its rarely in a straight line on a open road, chased drivers get it wrong while braking and turning.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (09-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I hate to say, but these look awesome!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

at 51 odd k retail, they are a good choice.....

government would be getting them for way less with fleet discount and no tax......

stingers for city use and chrysler 300 srt8 core (with speed limiter removed) for hwy patrol would be the go......

Premium Member
    Thanks

Regional towns in Vic have been sent so many unmarked Kia's now...
    Bloody hard to tell a Cop from Mum doing the school run these days

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast