Thread: GMEKingray MHW34G,powerpass?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default GMEKingray MHW34G,powerpass?

I have a number of Kingray MHA's I have bought over the years and due to a lousy location I want to try relocating (AGAIN) the antenna which will mean a cable run of over 80 metres.
    Just ingnore for the moment just how important the quality of the Co-Ax used is in the equation, I want to experiment with In-Line Amps.
    I currently have a MHA44 (14V) at the antenna and about 40 meters a SAM204 dist amp. The SAM was bought and used at another location, became surplus untill one day the cable was damaged and I read the phamplet,put the powerpass bridge in place and bunged it in the line and it works, later yet I ran a cable from it to another TV and it works tooo.
    I have the power option link on the SAM for 14v.
    The reason why I have the 14v is that I first used the MH44 with a portable TV,mast so I could go where there was no power available.
    Now, the MHW34G has printed on the circuit board 'Power Pass Link' and inside the box is 2 solder pads only.If I were to solder across the pads,could this MH amp work as a pass thru ??
    I dont have the original phamplet and I havent had much success trying to find details of this unit except ebay sales.
    The MHW32 can be run on 17.VAC,22VAC or 14VDC,selected by a removeable bridge link.
    Any directions, suggestions apart from moving to a better reception area would be appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It is not as simple as that as there is a requirement to isolate the incoming signal from the dc supply, which was achieved by rfc's and bypass capacitors that are also missing from the pcb.

If those 2 pads are bridged it is unlikely anything will happen at all.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for that antennaman. I eventually clicked on enough bits in the GME site to both see pics/specs of various MHA's and find the manuals for similar MHA's and it was apparent bits were missing from my units.
    By the product news I gather that the MH's I have are 'Series 1' type and were not generaly set up for pass-thru but those made after a date ???are 'Series 2' and have the pass-thru ability as standard.
    Next time I am in my main town I shall spend some time at the TV bits retailer checking out what MHA's they have in stock.
    Again, thanks for your reply.

Thanks

There are MHW34IL models that I and another mob use as inline amplifiers for the extreme cable runs (a hundred metres plus), and they are just a semi-passive (as far as I know) inline amp. They get the job done with a perfect picture.

Premium Member

Thanks

Big Mick000, thanks for that info re the MHW34IL model.

Premium Member

Thanks

P.i.t.A is back with another stuff-up.
    Between torrential rain and gale force winds on Sunday I pulled down the antenna and removed the MHA44 that was there.
    I replaced it with a MHU42 that has no pass thru facility.I then tried to insert the MHU44 after connecting the pass thru link into the cable run.
    I connected it up according to both the GME site and a phamlet I have on a similar MHA but nothing.
    It literally killed the signal. Using a multi metre set at 20V DC I noted at the input before connection I had 13 V but after connecting the MHU44 it dropped to 11V.
    I replaced the MHU42 with a MHU32,similar to the MHU34GIL model but got the same result.
    So I removed the MHU44, did a cockey join in the cable ie twisted the ends together and wrapped a bit of fine copper wire around the braid for both strength and connection and back comes the signal.
    Now the MHU44 was working on its on as the MHA, the MHA32 is working up there now, so what the hell have I stuffed up thats stopping the pass thru working on the MHU44.
    I have CAREFULLY checked there are no straggly bits of fine braid shorting,cleaned the pins on the pass connect etc.
    I have also checked the voltage selection pins are all set at the 14Vdc/17Vac where they are fitted.
    As usual I have exceeded my abilty quota and now have hit the brickwall.
    So any further assistance would be sooo appreciated.

Its been so long since I looked the MHU44 I had forgotten