Thread: Powerline can't access on internet

Thanks

Default Powerline can't access on internet

Hi, I've got a couple XWN5001 Wifi adapter and XAV5201 Netgear to send data signal into power line.

Some days ago I changed my security key in my network and I setted factory settings on my couple of powerline.

Now I have all leds of powerline adapters lighted on steadly but I can't navigate on internet but only into lan network.

I resetted them and I restarted my router but I didn't fix the issue.

Why does it happen?

How can I solve it?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

If all LED's are lit, it means they are connected to your network, did you update the security keys on other PC's to match?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

umby75 (18-09-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If all LED's are lit, it means they are connected to your network, did you update the security keys on other PC's to match?
    When you connect to access point some device you don't have protection key in default and you can connect whatever you want at access point.

N.b.: I configurated my network with dhcp disabled but I don't that it is the problem...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

How good are you on the computer and what OS are you using? I shudder at troubleshooting online, but we can try. First of all, do you have a box connected directly to the router via lan or wifi directly without using the powerline adapters? Can you access the internet from this box? This should give us a good idea of whether the problem is with the powerline adapters. Others please feel free to contribute.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

admin (22-09-17),umby75 (18-09-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    How good are you on the computer and what OS are you using? I shudder at troubleshooting online, but we can try. First of all, do you have a box connected directly to the router via lan or wifi directly without using the powerline adapters? Can you access the internet from this box? This should give us a good idea of whether the problem is with the powerline adapters. Others please feel free to contribute.
    What do you mean when you ask me do you have a box connected directly, etc.?
    I have got a Tplink w8980 n600 router and I connected the XAV5201 through the ethernet port to router. I used my couple of powerline fine until I changed my wifi passkey in my network.
    But now I think that powerlines are configurated fine because I wouldn't have had my all LEDs lit on (XAV5201 all LEDs lit on in green state; all LEDs of XWN5001 are lit on in green state except the wifi LED in blue steadly).
    If I use my PC, smartphone, tablet and you try to connect to XWN5001 you can get the connection (even because is open) but you're unable to navigate. Instead if you try to connect my Synology Nas into Lan you can get to..

Thanks

Connect your pc directly to the router via one of the lan ports. Can you then access the internet from the PC?
    Last edited by DB44; 18-09-17 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    Connect your pc directly to the router via one of the lan ports. Can you then access the internet from the PC?
    Yep, with my Pc linked to router through internet I can have access to internet regularly..

Thanks

Okay. As I understand internet works for anything connected to the router, whether by lan cable or wifi. What is not working is wifi access to internet through the powerline devices. If this is correct the next logical step is to test whether your powerline network is actually connecting to the Net. The easiest way to do this is to connect your PC to your powerline device by lan cable, not wifi. If your PC is portable, take it to one of the other rooms. If not you can move one of the powerline adapters to a power point close to your pc and connect to it via lan cable. In either case disconnect the wifi connection and use only Lan.

The result I am expecting is that your PC will be able to connect to the Internet via the powerline adapter but only when connected to it by lan cable, not wifi. If this is the case we will have established that your powerline networking is functioning. The problem will then likely be the wifi setup on the powerline adapters. If this is the case we will then look at this. Sorry, but no further help tonight, at least from me.
    Last edited by DB44; 19-09-17 at 01:14 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

tristen (19-09-17)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Yes, as above, connect computer directly to 2nd distant POWERLINE Ethernet adapter with LAN/Cat6 cable and see if you have internet. If NOT then maybe you have what I experienced below.

I needed internet at a distant location for a satellite receiver and installed two POWERLINE Ethernet adapters in a 60' (20m+) mobile home. They worked fine for 3 months. then all of a sudden they stopped? WTF?

I ran a 60' LAN/Cat6 cable directly to remote device(sat box) from router, (bypassing POWERLINE Ethernet adapter) and internet connectivity was fine?

Hmmmm, took distant 2nd POWERLINE Ethernet adapter and plugged it into wall outlet in same room as modem/router, plugged in 60' LAN/Cat6 cable into (now not so distant), 2nd POWERLINE Ethernet adapter, and ran that cable to other end of mobile home. NO INTERNET out to remote device(sat box)!!! WTF, twice??

Something has/had appeared on line that was blocking or severely impeding the internet signal(remember with a POWERLINE Ethernet adapter, ANY electrical outlet off of the same transformer side winding will get internet signal). I'm sure one of the brighter members here could tell you the freq where the Internet bandwidth is inserted/injected (I do not know) but wherever the 1st POWERLINE Ethernet adapter was inserting/injecting the internet onto powerline (in the RF spectrum), something was now overriding the "injected" internet signal and internet connectivity was no longer making it thru to 2nd (distant) powerline adapter. So I assumed someone in the general neighborhood vicinity, getting their electric supply from the same windings off of the power pole transformer, has/had activated a device causing the internet interruption.

I ran a LAN/Cat6 hardline directly to remote device(sat box) and internet connectivity was restored.

umby75, If you connect a LAN/Cat6 cable from your distant device (computer/laptop) directly to the distant 2nd POWERLINE Ethernet adapter and you get internet connectivity, then the scenario I encountered above is NOT your problem.
    Last edited by cmangle; 19-09-17 at 09:25 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmangle For This Useful Post:

umby75 (22-09-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

when i was visiting my brother in the uk iset this up for him i had problems,i had to press one of the buttons on each of the units within 2 minutes of connecting them

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-09-17),umby75 (22-09-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Dai is correct.

See page 6 of the Installation Manual, reproduced below.

\

Umby75, do you have the manual?

If not, it can be downloaded from

Please read the Installation Manual in its entirety.

Having said that, you would be wise to follow DB44's sound advice in post #8.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@dai and @tristen. You are both spot on. I've had the same experience with these adapters of various brands, including Netgear. What I suspect in this case from the state of the leds is that the powerline networking is functioning, and that the problem is with the wifi. But we can't be certain without the OP testing this. I usually don't have the patience to do this type of thing over the net, and am trying to troubleshoot systematically. Hopefully together we can solve the problem for him.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi, the problem is not related only for wi-fi connection but for ethernet interface too.
    The LEDs state is right for both powerline devices but I still have the same issue..
    I tried to change the outlet socket and I resetted many times following the manual but I can't fix it.
    Is my powerlines damaged?

Premium Member

Thanks

Now, I'm a little confused by the replies you have posted.

As I see it, you have three networks, which are interconnected....(1) the wired LAN section, (2) the wireless LAN section and (3) the powerline adaptor section.

You need to test each section independently, i.e. check (1) the wired LAN section. Then check (2) the wireless section followed by (3) the powerline adaptor section.

Once you are sure that each section is working independently you should then connect them together...but not before.

Incidentally, you MUST use the same Subnet for each device. This means if your router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1, the other units must have IP addresses in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.000.xxx. In this instance the Subnet Mask must be 255.255.255.0.

For example, router 192.168.0.1, first wireless device 192.168.0.2, second wireless device 192.168.0.3, first wired device 192.168.0.4, second wired device 192.168.0.5, first powerline device 192.168.0.6, second powerline device 192.168.0.7, and so on.

IP addresses do not have to be consecutive

Also, are the power points you have the powerline units connected to on the same electrical phase?

If your premises has a three-phase electrical supply rather than a single phase electrical supply , each powerline device must be connected to the same phase (not different phases).

Such devices will not work 'across' phases.
    Last edited by tristen; 22-09-17 at 01:56 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

admin (22-09-17),DB44 (23-09-17),umby75 (23-09-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Just to clarify,

Are the powerline devices still plugged into the same powerpoints as they were when they were working last, or have you moved them?

What mains power supply to your home do you have, single phase, two phase, or three phase?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (23-09-17),umby75 (23-09-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Now, I'm a little confused by the replies you have posted.

As I see it, you have three networks, which are interconnected....(1) the wired LAN section, (2) the wireless LAN section and (3) the powerline adaptor section.

You need to test each section independently, i.e. check (1) the wired LAN section. Then check (2) the wireless section followed by (3) the powerline adaptor section.

Once you are sure that each section is working independently you should then connect them together...but not before.

Incidentally, you MUST use the same Subnet for each device. This means if your router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1, the other units must have IP addresses in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.000.xxx. In this instance the Subnet Mask must be 255.255.255.0.

For example, router 192.168.0.1, first wireless device 192.168.0.2, second wireless device 192.168.0.3, first wired device 192.168.0.4, second wired device 192.168.0.5, first powerline device 192.168.0.6, second powerline device 192.168.0.7, and so on.

IP addresses do not have to be consecutive

Also, are the power points you have the powerline units connected to on the same electrical phase?

If your premises has a three-phase electrical supply rather than a single phase electrical supply , each powerline device must be connected to the same phase (not different phases).

Such devices will not work 'across' phases.
    What do you mean when you say do you have three networks interconnected?
    I'm using my once router with wireless and modem features and I assigned to each devices an ip into my lan with wired and wireless devices. I.e. I'm using my Synology Nas and Pc connected to router through ethernet and I can access to internet regularly.
    The ip configuration is right because I couldn't be online without a correct ip assignment and configuration even if I setted dhcp disabled (static IPs).
    The ip family is 192.168.1.X with 255.255.255.0 as subnet.
    Furthermore I'm using my phone now in wireless connection to this router and I can access to internet easily..

My electrical power here is 220V single-phase

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Just to clarify,

Are the powerline devices still plugged into the same powerpoints as they were when they were working last, or have you moved them?

What mains power supply to your home do you have, single phase, two phase, or three phase?
    I moved my powerline because when it worked fine was plugged to an extension cable and I tried to exclude the issue caused by extension cable...
    Then now I have the same result wherever I plug my powerline..

Here we have single-phase at home (220V)

Last edited by umby75; 23-09-17 at 10:09 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Hmmmm....

So it appears that your modem router, which also has wireless capability, is working successfully as:

1/. You can access the internet from a computer connected to the router via the computer's wired (ethernet) connection.

2/. Your telephone can access the internet via the wireless section of your router.

This, therefore, eliminates both wireless and wired (ethernet) sections as being the cause of your problem, leaving the powerline section as the culprit, which has already been suggested.

I suggest that you restore the original powerline configuration using the extension cable you used before the problem occurred. Also connect to the same power points that you used previously.

Let us know:

1/. The results.

2/. How your first powerline adaptor is connected to the network.

It should be connected as in the image (page 8 of the Installation Manual) below.

3/. What is connected by ethernet cable to the other powerline adaptor.

(Incidentally, I have had instances in the past where powerline adaptors would not work successfully if an electrical appliance presenting a very low impedance load to the mains (electricity) supply was in close electrical proximity, e.g. deep freeze unit or similar).

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I seems to me when you changed the WiFi passwords the WiFi repeater is no longer linked to the network.

When is set up my system I had to pair the slave unit via WiFi as the slave acts as a WiFi repeater using the same pass-codes from the main WiFi modem.

Cheers

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

umby75 (23-09-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    I seems to me when you changed the WiFi passwords the WiFi repeater is no longer linked to the network.

When is set up my system I had to pair the slave unit via WiFi as the slave acts as a WiFi repeater using the same pass-codes from the main WiFi modem.

Cheers

SS Dave
    Well done!!!
    I've restored my powerline through this method!
    I set up using Wps feature by router and now I've my wifi network cloned by powerline....and mainly real access to internet!!
    I can't know why I encountered this issue..
    I tried to plug in same point I plugged when worked eith extension cable, I plugged only powerline into outlet but only with Wps feature I fixed it.
    Sometimes now I notice some interrupting on wifi but it is restored early.
    Probably my powerline is partially damaged..I don't know it..