Thread: Garmin navigator app, by telstra.

Gulargambone, Western Plains, NSW, Australia.
    Thanks

Default Garmin navigator app, by telstra.

Hi everyone. I am running this navigator app. in association with telstra on a samsung s6 phone. So far it seems to be quite good for what I want it to do, when I want it to do it. I need to pay to get online to up to date maps by paying through telstra in app purchase. A dollar a day or something which is quite acceptable for the 8 or 9 days a year that I do use it. Positioning of the phone was going to be taken care of by using a HUD holder, which sounded like a good idea. The paperwork that came with the holder says most nav apps have the option to select "reflective" display for correct orientation. Within this garmin thing is a HUD selection but all it does is turn on bluetooth to talk to some garmin hardware or other, which I don't have so I have no idea what it wants to talk to. I was thinking the reverse screen should be all I need to get working. Garmin "help" line chat is useless to even get on to as they want some product type number or some such. So I guess my question is, does anyone else use this app and have knowledge of the screen reversal thing?
    Don't be too quick to dismiss conspiracy theories.
    Remember that EVERYTHING that has EVER been discovered
    started somewhere as a THEORY!!

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Hi muddy, I don't have that exact app, I have the previous Android Garmin App called Navigon on an S3 & it has an option in settings for HUD support, not sure how it works as I don't have access to a HUD holder to try what it does.

Have no idea how you get your App to do what you want & without a HUD holder to test on, so it seems no point for me to install the new app to test for you.
    I have dedicated GPS that I use, so no need for it.
    I have used Garmin Navigon on my bike, but that's with direct phone display.

If your lucky forum member Surething will chime in & point you in the right direction.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Don't know if the OP will welcome my input following. That's an older app and i'm not even sure it's being fully supported still. However, even when it came out it copped a lot of flack for being expensive because you could buy a reasonable Garmin navigator with lifetime maps for little more than the price of an annual subscription to Telstra for the premium features. Also, it doesn't use on-board maps so can be flaky when mobile reception is poor in some regional areas. I also [hazily] recall that it will only work with a genuine Garmin HUD which may be the reason you can't link yours. In fairness to Garmin, i'd describe it this as more a Telstra software product using a Garmin frontend so i doubt you'll get much help from their service desk drones anyway.

You'll be able to get other apps with on-board maps but without the Garmin look and feel of course.
    Last edited by Surething; 22-09-17 at 07:46 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (22-09-17)