Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Austech - 20 years of annoying people and politically incorrect behaviour

Thanks

study hard and make progress every day~

Thanks

Default Austech - 20 years of annoying people and politically incorrect behaviour

Cheers for all the hard work and sacrifice..... I’ve been around here since 2002 I guess. 15 years ! Haha But always come back to find the hard answers ! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snapperhead; 31-10-17 at 01:05 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to snapperhead For This Useful Post:

admin (01-11-17)

Thanks

Congratulations on the Milestone @!

Thanks

Thank you for your efforts over the last couple of decades. To have your life threatened seems unbelievable until you stop and think about what some will do these days.

I'm probably one of the more elderly posters here at 82 (and the naivity of some posts reflects this) and cut my PC teeth on an Applle IIe around 1980 when PCs in schools were a rarity. So I introduced students at the school to the Apple where I was head of the Mathematics Dept. I also held a couple of sessions for the staff but had heaps of scorn and derision on my head from the English Dept who could see no possible point in wasting their time knowing anything about PCs. Move on 10 years and those same Luddites found PCs to be essential tools. Things changed very quickly in that decade but I never have gone deeply into computer languages etc!!! But the old Apple started off my youngest son into IT and he is now in the USA at Siemens heading up a team working in 3D.

But I have been interested in electronics ever since constructing my first crystal set in 1946. And now I've gone full circle and back to headphone listening but this time hi-end classical music on a Roon controlled server system rather than the indeterminate AM of the 1940s.

Satellites have been imposed on us here as, although not far from the transmitters, we are in a black spot. So interest in satellite has been sponsored by necessity rather than as a hobby and this old brain get perplexed with its compklexity at times!!

But a big thank you for your persistence and energy with this site. So I wish you, and all others involved the best wishes, maybe too early for Xmas but ....

John
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

admin (05-11-17),gulliver (12-12-17),lsemmens (17-11-17),mtv (05-11-17),OSIRUS (16-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

John and many other 'seniors' here, it's truly amazing the changes in technology and how we live that have occurred in our lifetime, even for those who haven't been around as long as you.

Even during Austech's comparatively short existence, the changes have been immense.

We can only wonder what this world will be like in another 20 years... even if it will still exist at all by then.

I think we are all paying a dear price for this thing called 'progress'.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

c427537 (14-03-20),gulliver (12-12-17),OSIRUS (16-11-17)

Thanks

It's a big accomplishment to survive and to thrive for so long on the internet. Congratulations!

• The Following User Says Thank You to abmain For This Useful Post:

admin (05-11-17)

Thanks

Default Exponential life changes

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    John and many other 'seniors' here, it's truly amazing the changes in technology and how we live that have occurred in our lifetime, even for those who haven't been around as long as you.

Even during Austech's comparatively short existence, the changes have been immense.

We can only wonder what this world will be like in another 20 years... even if it will still exist at all by then.

At the risk of getting a bit off topic and not trying to provoke any political discussion, I fear the general population is having trouble accepting that globalisation might mean an increased living standard in India and China but that will devolve to a general decrease here. I'm not on any "anti globalisation" soapbox here but am apprehensive about the future particularly with "Intelligent" robots displacing low skilled workers. The progress of micro processing is remarkable but does sponsor images of "2001 Space Oddessy" becoming a Franklenstein reality if people are not careful.

Bottom line is that, IMHO, events and reactions are random and generally uncontrollable so attempts at organising seem to ineviably fail. And it also seems we might be only one of an infinite number of universes!!! The mind boggles.

And all that might explain why we are saddled with VAST!!!

POSTSCRIPT: And it just occurred to me that "Hal" or some other intelligent Robot would not approve of the unintelligent and illogical decisions made in many Government quarters in most countries. Would we be better off in a computer controlled society? I'm not so sure. Chaos seems the more natural mode we like.
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 05-11-17 at 04:53 PM.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

fred121 (25-12-17)

Thanks

happy 20th birthday austech
    austech will outlast me

• The Following User Says Thank You to eagleeyes For This Useful Post:

admin (16-11-17)

Thanks

happy 20th birthday austech

• The Following User Says Thank You to bouraq For This Useful Post:

admin (16-11-17)

Thanks

It was 20 years ago today sgt pepper asked the band to play. good times cheers Andrew

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fred121 For This Useful Post:

admin (28-11-17),OSIRUS (29-01-18)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

*taught*

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,526 Posts

Ive pissed plenty off over the years and will continue to do so, But I still feel the love but stuffed if I know Andrew has been tolerant with me, we had our ups and downs, but I still have the respect for him an his admin team! is Austech like a drug? hell yes" I guess i'll be pissing off plenty more in years to come! cheers and thanks team Austech!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

admin (28-11-17),mtv (24-11-17),OSIRUS (29-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ive pissed plenty off over the years and will continue to do so, But I still feel the love but stuffed if I know Andrew has been tolerant with me, we had our ups and downs, but I still have the respect for him an his admin team! is Austech like a drug? hell yes" I guess i'll be pissing off plenty more in years to come! cheers and thanks team Austech!
    Good on you Rick, yes I can recall banning you once long long but from memory I think you asked for it
    Some funny shit went on, I wish I could remember it all.

I wish I had of recorded the phone conversation I had with the Mod Shop's lawyer many years ago. They sent me a cease and desist letter demanding the banning of their name being mentioned on Austech at all....at the time they were engaged in wholesale piracy selling pirated Pay Tv cards out of both their stores and even doing a pizza style home delivery service.

Anyway, I got the letter full of legal threats from them and hit the roof. I rang their lawyer and boy, what a conversation ! It was obvious that he had never been spoken to like that before. There was plenty of "how dare you speak to me like that" from him and lots of #### off you stupid ####ing dumb #### from me. I can of course speak nicely, but he was rude from the start.

We kept on mentioning their pirate activities and they didn't sue me, mostly because the Federal Police ended up arresting them all.

It would have to be one of the funniest phone conversations I have had though, it would make the Austech pool room.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (30-01-18),lsemmens (28-11-17),mkhannah (16-03-18),mtv (28-11-17),OSIRUS (29-01-18)

Thanks

Hello Admin - Thank you for a great forum.. Have been following and reading for many many years, I have had interest in satellite television since the1990's when I was just a teen. I moved over from what was the original JFK site after it went dark, then joined Austech - The information from the forum has been most accurate and most informative. Most sites shutdown after receiving their first cease and desist letter and at the thought of legal action by the paytv operators, so having kept that at bay and survived the on slaught - That deserves a huge congratulations - Keep it up. Thank you !

Thanks

happy 20th birthday austech,well done and keep up the good,looking forward to the next 20 years

Thanks

Happy Birthday Austech.....

I love this site!!!!

Thanks

Congrats on the 20th Anniversary

2009/10 AFL Tipping Champion supertrek's Avatar
    Thanks

yes same here.

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Anniversary

Hello everyone I hope you're all well!
    where did the time go?
    i guess Congratulations on the 21st anniversary since its 2018 .

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 955 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

Twenty years ago "Clip Art" and maybe a "gif" were the biggest image file you would dare to use on the net ..... now we have TV channels & video on demand available from all over the world in SD, HD & 4K etc ...

and this is just one area where there have been enormous improvements ..... it does make you wonder what we will have in the next 20 years ? (And what new things we will be discussing on Austech .... )
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 18-03-18 at 12:49 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast