Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the ABC still operating on Optus D1???

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Interesting move by the ABC. VAST doesn't offer ABC(1) in standard definition. So can we assume VAST-fed self-help sites will only be able to retransmit ABC HD without an SD simulcast? Or can the equipment Optus recommends do this? I guess one way to get an SD simulcast is to set up another dish pointed to D3...

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    You must be doing something wrong. Are you sure D3 is set to the correct LNBF setting?

All the Abc's are there are FTA

Cannot see what is incorrectly set but you could be right.

What LNBF settings are you using?
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

Tassie Devil, knowing you, you are old school have been around for many many years I bet you are still using a narrow band 11300 LNB. This LNB won't tune anything below 12250MHz, Change to the 10700 and all come in good guarantied. If you are still using a 1.2 meter prime focus form the B-Mac days you'll have a hard time finding a prime focus 10700 LNB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Tassie Devil, knowing you, you are old school have been around for many many years I bet you are still using a narrow band 11300 LNB. This LNB won't tune anything below 12250MHz, Change to the 10700 and all come in good guarantied. If you are still using a 1.2 meter prime focus form the B-Mac days you'll have a hard time finding a prime focus 10700 LNB.
    No, its a 10,700 unit. I have two LNBs on 1.2m dishes, one pointed at D1 (leads into the main lounge & the Vu+), the other at D3 (feeds VAST to several other rooms) and a left over smaller dish from Austar/Foxtel (2 feeds into the main lounge, one generally unused, the other to a Humax VAST PVR). That second feed from the smaller dish was connected to the Vu+ Solo2 in the search for the ABC chjannels. I checked that LNB VAST feed in and and it is also from a 10,700 LNB.

But maybe there is some sort of glitch with the Vu+ as if I try to feed in the SBS data for a particular set of frequencies, say for NSW, it detects no channels, but does find them for a general scan. However a general scan with that smaller dish D3 feed only finds the hundreds of encrypted channels and no ABC one I can view.

I've spent many fruitless hours so far. Has anyone else managed to get unencrypted ABC off D3?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,494 Times in 1,800 Posts

I have a powers receiver with a vast cam and card, I get 8 ABC channels
    FTA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hazman View Post
    I have a powers receiver with a vast cam and card, I get 8 ABC channels
    FTA.

So I'm guessing that is the same as reception on a Humax 103S where VAST restrictions such as no skip functions apply & the HDD with recorded programs is tied to the receiver?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Anyone anywhere is permitted to receive ABC and SBS, regardless of location, without signal checks.

You can also apply as a traveller and get the commercial channels as well.
    Fair point about ABC and SBS but I've still got to buy a VAST box, when I have a perfectly good one already.
    Tried a Super V8 Freesat (very cheap ) but didn't work on multistream on Intelsat 19 for channel 9. I assume that a Vast box that will record( ie PVR with internal HDD ) would cost $400 -450.
    Perhaps some of the cheap ones coming on the market will do multistream on D1.
    Weather bad at the moment so moving dish put on hold.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,494 Times in 1,800 Posts

Default abc fta d3

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    So I'm guessing that is the same as reception on a Humax 103S where VAST restrictions such as no skip functions apply & the HDD with recorded programs is tied to the receiver?
    Cant see why the VU Duo wont load the transponder with the abc channels on it, pretty sure Vast certified boxes wont load any transponders other than the ones vast uses at least the uec box that i had wouldn't.

Thanks

Just heard back from the ABC:

"Good Afternoon John,

Thank you for your email.

The ABC-operated satellite contribution feed was discontinued at 9am on 3 October 2017. This contribution feed was not designed for consumer reception of ABC TV services.

The ABC TV services are available for consumer reception from the Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST) service.

Commercial operators can contact vastcams@optus.com.au for information on VAST channel tuning information, or to obtain conditional access modules.

Kind Regards,

Elaine"

So, I'm assuming we are wasting our time attempting to get the (unencrypted) ABC on D3 - it certainly is not on D1. And of course it might not be long before SBS follows suit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

And a big thank you to Austech for having this forum so we can solve problems like this.
    Its good to see a Satellite thread thats in to its third page........its almost getting me re-interested in TV

Some time ago there were hints of illegal VAST cards which coulds be used in receivers like the Vu+. If anyone knows of one please email me confidentially to jcoulsonATiprimus.com.au with the AT obviously to be replaced with @. Note I'm only interested in the ABC/SBS channels. It is frustrating not to be able to readily access the publically owned ABC services and be forced to use the cobbled VAST PVRs that only allow for 2 channels to be recorded simultaneously.
    As mentioned by mtv, there are some options.

You can buy a Vast box and activate it with any address that is in the Vast region either East or West.

You do see the odd Vast receiver for sale second hand on Ebay already activated.

Vast receivers and Vast cards are married, ie, you cant take an activated card out and use it in another receiver. However, you can buy a Vast cam which comes with a card and get that activated the same as you would a Vast receiver. The advantage being that you can plug the Vast cam in to any receiver that has a Cam slot.

I realise that you are only interested in ABC/SBS, however you cannot just get them on their own. Any receiver or cam needs to be activated for either the East or West region.

Hope the above clears up things for you on Vast.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Its good to see a Satellite thread thats in to its third page........its almost getting me re-interested in TV

As mentioned by mtv, there are some options.

You can buy a Vast box and activate it with any address that is in the Vast region either East or West.

You do see the odd Vast receiver for sale second hand on Ebay already activated.

Vast receivers and Vast cards are married, ie, you cant take an activated card out and use it in another receiver. However, you can buy a Vast cam which comes with a card and get that activated the same as you would a Vast receiver. The advantage being that you can plug the Vast cam in to any receiver that has a Cam slot.

I realise that you are only interested in ABC/SBS, however you cannot just get them on their own. Any receiver or cam needs to be activated for either the East or West region.

Hope the above clears up things for you on Vast.
    Thanks admin - I'm fully aware of VAST and have had 5 VAST boxes operating in this house for years now.

My gripe has been about how they are dumbed down and not equivalent to the FTA ones available. Using SBS/ABC via D1 overcame that. But obviously now it is only SBS available on D1 with an ergonomic recorder and for how long that will be for is anyone's guess.

I guess we should be grateful that the commercial channels ARE available by satellite, something not possible a decade ago. Just a shame someone decided to cobble the VAST system with restrictions that do not apply to FTA.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

So, I'm assuming we are wasting our time attempting to get the (unencrypted) ABC on D3 - it certainly is not on D1. And of course it might not be long before SBS follows suit.
    I've just checked... all ABC channels are available on D3 unencrypted 12177 V

ABC channels are all certainly on D1... as explained several times, if you don't have a suitable decoder, you won't be able to receive them.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (09-10-17),OSIRUS (09-10-17)

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Default SBS will move transponders

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    The ABC service has moved to TP12 and is now DVB-S2. I don't know what the TP frequency is for Tasmania but the VIC transponder frequency is 12466Mhz. As far as I am aware a Solo2 is both DVB-s and S2 compatible. I am not familiar with the configuration of a solo2 so can't help there.
    Also, SBS will move next month to a new transponder. They will also go to DVB-S2 format.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-10-17)

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Thanks admin - I'm fully aware of VAST and have had 5 VAST boxes operating in this house for years now.

My gripe has been about how they are dumbed down and not equivalent to the FTA ones available. Using SBS/ABC via D1 overcame that. But obviously now it is only SBS available on D1 with an ergonomic recorder and for how long that will be for is anyone's guess.

I guess we should be grateful that the commercial channels ARE available by satellite, something not possible a decade ago. Just a shame someone decided to cobble the VAST system with restrictions that do not apply to FTA.

ABC and SBS are getting ready for 4K some time in the not to distant future. The modulation format has changed for ABC and SBS will follow suit. ABC is on TP12 and SBS will move soon (probably to TP13).
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-10-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just to clarify what's up there:

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-10-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post

Further to the above Ch7 are also on Optus D1 in a multi ch format on 12638v 15000 16apsk 4/5
    Ch 7 also on Optus D1 in a multi ch format on 12638v 15000 16apsk .... (this looks interesting)

I too would like to get a STB capable of decoding the above ..... as well as the ABC's & SBS's if they go the same way, & the Ch 9's on on I19 at 166.0°E

maybe need to start asking around for a STB to get .....
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 09-10-17 at 06:50 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member
    Thanks

The TBS website says the TBS6908 can do 16APSK, a max symbol rate of 67.5 Msymb/s and multiple input stream (MIS) support.

Looks to be the go...

~$460 on Ebay: ... If I can get 7, 9, ABC and SBS from all states then it's worth the investment for me.
    Last edited by Smacca; 09-10-17 at 09:44 PM.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

beerman (17-10-17),mtv (09-10-17),OSIRUS (10-10-17),tristen (10-10-17),Xplorer (10-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post

ABC and SBS are getting ready for 4K some time in the not to distant future. The modulation format has changed for ABC and SBS will follow suit. ABC is on TP12 and SBS will move soon (probably to TP13).
    "ABC and SBS are getting ready for 4K some time in the not to distant future" - incredible; and the commercial FTA regional broadcasters, Seven Central, Imparja and Southern Cross can't get their act together to give us a high definition main channel service in the Central footprint.

I'm completely over VAST - it was supposed to bring some equity in broadcast television arrangements for people in the bush, but it is very quickly becoming another Aurora with second rate low bit stream standard definition rubbish (apart from publicly funded ABC and SBS).

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    it is very quickly becoming another Aurora with second rate low bit stream standard definition rubbish
    Couldn't agree more. Nothing has changed with the commercial services since VAST was launched in 2010. Southern Cross has launched SCTV HD in Tassie but not Central. They also started Racing.com elsewhere. Imparja has gone through 2 renegotiations with Nine Network yet didn't negotiate 9HD or 9Life. What a let down.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    The TBS website says the TBS6908 can do 16APSK, a max symbol rate of 67.5 Msymb/s and multiple input stream (MIS) support.

Looks to be the go...

~$460 on Ebay: ... If I can get 7, 9, ABC and SBS from all states then it's worth the investment for me.
    Showing "Last one" so you had better to be quick ...
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

Smacca (10-10-17)

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast