Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you save ?

Thanks

Default How much do you save ?

Still contemplate putting up an 8 kw systems. For 6k$ and 15 cents buyback.
    Current quarterly is around $800.- Is the saving worth it ?

Any input appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post

Any input appreciated.
    Q: Were do you get 8kW panels, installed, with inverter for 6k$ ?

...and yes for that price the savings would be worth it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Any input appreciated.
    It almost sounds too good to be true!
    Go for it!

Thanks

Any input appreciated.
    15 Cents is is better than i get, its only 7cents in Perth Wa. or 47 cents if you got in early like 4-5 years ago.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Any input appreciated.
    In a word, Yes. ( I have an 8kw system)

Premium Member
    Thanks

i added a 3.2k to a 1k system and it has reduced my bill to between 33 and 50% i was on the 47c but adding the new system reduced it to 7c

i looked at it in a different way if the money stayed in a fixed account the return was around 2.3% whereas the return on the reduced power bill i estimated the return to be about 16%

the 3.2 system cost over 5000 it is a german made system

Administrator
    Thanks

On a good Summer day, I can generate 50 kwh.

I was previously at the point where I was running at a zero bill (taking in to account credit for power in to the grid), but with the cost of gas going through the roof, I have been using my 8kw Daikin split system to assist with heating in winter, particularly overnight as power is off peak. So I have been having reasonable power bills, along with much much smaller gas bills.

I am not sure what state B52 is in, but in Victoria with smart meters you can go on to Flexible Tariffs which use Peak, Shoulder and Off Peak.

7 am to 3 pm is Shoulder - about 20 cents
    3 pm to 11 pm is Peak - about 30 cents
    11 pm to 7 am is Off peak - about 15 cents

In Victoria, power back to the grid is 11.8 cents.

An 8km system will smash an $800 a quarter bill. However you need to be carefull with quotes that are simply too cheap, for many reasons including :

Damaging your roof
    Obsolete inverters and panels
    Poor quality inverters and panels

However not everything that's cheap is poor..........what inverter and panels are they offering with that 6k quote ?

Thanks

How much efficiency do the panels lose each year ?

Is there a difference in effeminacy loss between a Poly Crystal or Mono panels ?

A friend in NSW has a 4 bedroom house in and 60k liter pole, Installed a 10Kw system 4 years ago. His last (3rd quarter ) bill was $510. Given the 10KW system it seems too much.

Banned
    Thanks

I have an 8Kw system with a feedin tariff of 22c and my last bill was -$157.00, so I think a bill of $510.00 with a 10Kw system looks suss. I suggest he checks his system for problems. Some days my system will shut down all day due to excessive line voltage. Using the smart meter the voltage one day was 264.2V and using a couple of other meters all registered about 264V. Problem I have is neighbour has 9Kw system, across the road 5Kw and numerous others in the street.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordonwh40 View Post
    I have an 8Kw system with a feedin tariff of 22c and my last bill was -$157.00,.
    Which provider gives 22c feeding tariff and for how long ?
    I received offers of 25 cents buyback limited to 12 months, but the price for the whole system was higher then other similar spec offers meaning the price is jacked up to make up for the good buyback offer... There are no free gifts.

Banned
    Thanks

Hi
    My offer is from an electrical retailer, Red. When I had my system installed I got the grand total of 6c/Kw feedin. I did a search of the retailers and the comparison sites and and initially signed with Click for 12c/Kw feedin and then swapped to red with a 22c/KW feedin. A large number of retailers offered up to 20% for payment on time, but 20% of 0 is not much discount. I have no loyalty to any retailer and will swap to find the best deal for me. So shop around and swap any time you need to or can get abetter deal.

Administrator
    Thanks

You need to use comparison sites to find the best deal, either by entering your rates or uploading a .csv file if you have a smart meter.

Discounts mean nothing really......it depends on what your rates actually are. As an example, a 20% discount is bit pointless if the companies rates are 30% higher than competitors.

As gordonwh40 mentioned, shop around and dont bother with loyalty to any of them as they will show none to you.

I dont think you have mentioned what state you are in B52 ?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gordonwh40 (12-11-17),Keith (11-11-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Discounts mean nothing really......it depends on what your rates actually are. As an example, a 20% discount is bit pointless if the companies rates are 30% higher than competitors.
    Exactly. In Sydney, Endeavour Energy give me a 24% discount although their KW charge is 32. cents per kilowatt across the board with a high daily access charge. Red energy on the other hand offer 10% discount although their first 10kilowatt charge is 28. cents then drops at set rates, with a lower daily access cost. On the surface Endeavour look good, but when the sums are done it seems all the same.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Thanks

You need to use comparison sites to find the best deal,
    So far I found comparison sites deal with supply, not buyback. The supply tariffs of the various providers vary a little. Most will match your lowest offer anyway. The buyback has the most effect on being in credit or debit on you power bill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    i looked at it in a different way if the money stayed in a fixed account the return was around 2.3% whereas the return on the reduced power bill i estimated the return to be about 16%
    Getting 3.23kW installed this month. Worked out our return will be about 14% best, and 12% worst. Much better than money in the bank.
    I am also pleased to be adding the solar panels for the environment. We live at 1,100M and use the inverter split system fair amount in winter. With our clear blue winter skies as we get summer rainfall, will make a significant difference to the winter electricity account. With our *very* well insulated house, the 5.76kW inverter split system after warming the house in the morning sits on around 300W. We fitted as much insulation as we could in the house when we had it built two years ago. Fitted closed top pelmets, aluminium lined curtains, Veridian SmartGlass. Money spent on insulation has turned out to be a great investment. With -12C overnight, coldest house has been in the morning without additional heating overnight, house hasn't been below 9.5C inside in the morning.

Administrator
    Thanks

So far I found comparison sites deal with supply, not buyback. The supply tariffs of the various providers vary a little. Most will match your lowest offer anyway. The buyback has the most effect on being in credit or debit on you power bill.
    What they will pay you depends on what the FIT (feed in tariff) for your state is. They are all different.

Regardless, I haven't seen an electricity comparison site that doesn't tell you how much you are getting paid for what you feed in, all I have used take your solar in to account.

I am currently moving from PowerShop to Red Energy at the moment due to PowerShops horrendous price increase (about 30% from memory)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lineland View Post
    Getting 3.23kW installed this month. Worked out our return will be about 14% best, and 12% worst. Much better than money in the bank.
    In all honesty I don't know why so many people have an interest in returns. For example, you don't look for returns when you buy a car, so I don't really understand why people look at Solar as an investment.

Away from that, last January I generated 939 kWh. It will be interesting to see what this Jan is like.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

In all honesty I don't know why so many people have an interest in returns. For example, you don't look for returns when you buy a car, so I don't really understand why people look at Solar as an investment.
    An investment is the best way to look at it. It's not a car. Paying money to save money is definitely an investment. Solar though can be a risky investment if the inverter or panels fail outside of warranty. Best inverter nowadays is Fronius. They are installers favourite.

Look up solarquotes for reviews. There are crappy installers our there (even worse than Me). Run away from the likes of Eurosolar. They are cheap and utter crap.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Solar can only be seen as an investment if used in combination with the grid. If there is no ROI why get solar at all or are you really just concerned about CO2 emissions?

It has nothing to do with buying a car. What a strange comparison.

Solar with backup battery could be a different story as that alone makes sense to be independant if the grid fails, savings is in that case more secondary.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-01-18 at 11:52 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (09-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks

I wouldn't believe reviews at Solarquotes. Last I looked they had fake reviews up for a scam company and still hadn't removed them despite many requests, and its not hard to find a lot of questionable reviews.

There is no best inverter......installers sing the praise of whatever they are personally (financially) associated with and bag anything else. A couple of years ago it was SMA and if you didn't have one your world could end. Fast forward and they now sing a different tune. The same applies to panels.

An investment is not the best way to look at it, if it was you certainly wouldn't be forking out the money for a Fronius inverter. You would be getting EuroSolar or TruValue to bang the cheapest system on your roof. What does it matter if its cheap and crap ? Generally it isn't crap, but it is cheap. Example, TVS were recently selling systems with a Bosch inverter and Jinko panels. Bosch recently decided to leave the solar market, TVS bought their stock. 4 years ago when I bought a system with Jinko panels, Jinko was rubbished by installers........now they think they are great. The biggest danger with TVS and Euro is the actual installers rather than what they are installing.

This is why I don't understand the investment preoccupation. If you want the best return, you would go with the cheapest system, not the most expensive.

And that aside, no, I personally wouldnt (and didnt) use either of them when I got solar.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast