Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you save ?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

When you invest you have to also weigh the risks. Investing in a cheap inverter means higher failure rates and replacement cost.
    If you DIY like I am ATM, you just buy a spare when you see a special on aliexpress for US$299 4kW (offgrid backup), but for most ppl that is out of the question.
    Back then in 2009 or when it was, I just got the SMA. With 60c rebate up to 2016 the system paid itself back more than twice.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-01-18 at 11:22 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Yeah from all reports Eurosolar have the worst after sales service. With an fit of 10c now with ergon, it harder to get a short ROI. I was thinking of getting grid feed solar installed cos I like air-con and electricity prices are making it unaffordable.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Solar can only be seen as an investment if used in combination with the grid. If there is no ROI why get solar at all or are you really just concerned about CO2 emissions?

It has nothing to do with buying a car. What a strange comparison.

Solar with backup battery could be a different story as that alone makes sense to be independant if the grid fails, savings is in that case more secondary.
    We purchased Solar in mid 2009, I selected a 5kw SMA inverter, 4.8 Kw of Conergy German Panels and had it installed. The Installers done a CRAP job So I ask the defunk company to remove it and start AGAIN otherwise you find you yourself in ACA on 9. Beside that we have NEVER EVERY HAD a Bill owning money not to any company and yet the lowest credit back to us was $80 to around $260 per quarter. yes It was a good investment back in 2009 even if it cost us $11,600. Now when the 40 cents feed in stops on 2027 and Im still alive (dont think so) I will re read the rule book or before the time expire and go for the best that suit us not them or the Government
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 10-01-18 at 06:50 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I'm looking at upgrading our current system 1.5kW. Now looking at what's best value. I have yet to determine if I am approved for extra capacity on the existing system, or if I should just put a new one in parallel.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Can your current system be upgraded because from what I have read, all panels and Invertors are not always compatible.
    This was talked about after people had put in a small system to begin with but decided to add to it only to be told either the Invertor couldnt handle the extra load or there was some mismatch in the Solar panels.
    The recommendation was to go for the biggest you could afford from Day One.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I'm looking at upgrading our current system 1.5kW. Now looking at what's best value. I have yet to determine if I am approved for extra capacity on the existing system, or if I should just put a new one in parallel.
    Parallel, offgrid.
    My first step is to have a small battery backed 1kW solar (initially 2-3kWh LiFePO4 battery) and have the fridge and maybe all the lights and internet modem running off it.
    Reason is not so much to save cost but to be indepedant from grid failures.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Learjet (13-01-18),lsemmens (13-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

i had the upgrade installed as a separate system being as the original one was 9 yrs old so they operate independently

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Ideally that would be my solution, Nomeat, unfortunately, my budget won't quite go that far.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

We fitted 3.23kW of solar with .1289c FIT. Halved electricity account. Return on investment over the 12 months works out at 12%. Darn site better than 2.55% interest at the bank, and importantly helping the environment - more than our government is doing.

Premium Member
    Thanks

just got my new bill $93 before the system went in it $365 and there has price hikes since then so without it probably would have it the 500 mark

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12