Thread: DriveSmart 51 LMT-S - Avoid

Thanks

Default DriveSmart 51 LMT-S - Avoid

The DriveSmart range has a premium price as it includes some "Driver Assistance" options such as warning when in a School Zone. The only problem is, the menu to select them is broken. Trying to select which options you want results in a random mix of some options on, some options off, bearing no resemblance to the ones you chose.

I created a YouTube video of the fault and logged it with Garmin - they said they 'couldn't reproduce it'. I took the unit back to RYDA who swapped it and right out of the box, in the store, the new one did exactly the same thing. Now Garmin's just stopped responding to my questions.

So - Nice one Garmin, don't recommend anyone buys one of these.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CodySydney View Post
    The DriveSmart range has a premium price as it includes some "Driver Assistance" options such as warning when in a School Zone. The only problem is, the menu to select them is broken. Trying to select which options you want results in a random mix of some options on, some options off, bearing no resemblance to the ones you chose.
    The School Zone info is embedded in modern CNNT maps and can't be 'turned off' the way other POIs which are read from a GPI file, like safety cams etc., can be de-selected. The ability to display the school warnings is enabled by the firmware itself, that's existing in firmware of modern Garmin devices but not the fw of older devices. I don't quite understand why you'd want to disable such warnings anyway but to do so the firmware would need to modified which breaches Garmin's EULA anyway and needs high-end coding experience for sure. Dunno that it's premium price though, the Drive range starts at $179 RRP and goes to $499 RRP. The DriveSmart 51 is towards the lower end at $279 which is higher mid-range price i think. Regardless, in any device choosing to select or de-select options shouldn't give results bearing no resemblance to what you chose. That would make it unfit for purpose whatever the price point.

I created a YouTube video of the fault and logged it with Garmin - they said they 'couldn't reproduce it'.
    What exactly couldn't they reproduce, i.e. what was your 'randon mix' results? A link to your vid might be easier if you want .....

I took the unit back to RYDA who swapped it and right out of the box, in the store, the new one did exactly the same thing.
    Unsurprising about the school zones when you consider that they can't be turned off, as i've explained it's a case of 'always on' for those particular map-embedded POIs. But you're referring to the 'random mix results' i guess.

Now Garmin's just stopped responding to my questions.
    Maybe they think they've answered you by saying they couldn't reproduce your result. But it's rude of them to not respond. Best stop asking them, i've heard they strangle a kitten each time they get a 'too-hard-to-answer' question.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (24-10-17),Tiny (09-10-17)