Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCD Tripping while washing

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    ok so i have tested with a meggar meter and found the needle on the mega goes all the way across.
    What exactly are you testing?

As I have mentioned before, each major component should be tested individually. If you don't do this, it's a bit hard to diagnose the problem.

Thanks

thats testing the whole machine after replacing the faulty solenoid that was a dead short to ground. i am not sure what reading i should be getting here so i am wanting to gauge if that reading is normal or not. if that is normal then i would be chasing my tail trying to find a fault that is no longer there. it has not tripped the breaker again since replacing that part, however if that reading is too high then i will continue to troubleshoot.

so it is neutral pin to ground and active pin to ground

Premium Member
    Thanks

A low resistance between neutral and earth can trip the RCD if 30mA or more of the neutral current returns via the earth wire because it's bypassing the RCD producing a 'imbalance' condition. Meggering the active with the appliance switches off is only checking the cable up to the switches. The general 'standard' for good insulation resistance is around 1 megohm minimum even though it needs to be much lower than that, like 10kohm or less, to produce an RCD trip.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    thats testing the whole machine after replacing the faulty solenoid that was a dead short to ground.
    OK. Stop right there. That was a 'good' fault. Sounds to me like that was the problem. Put it back together, plug it in, and wash away. No need to keep testing stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    OK. Stop right there. That was a 'good' fault. Sounds to me like that was the problem. Put it back together, plug it in, and wash away. No need to keep testing stuff.
    ok, well it is not tripping the breaker at the moment but i am still concerned with the high reading.

This is what it is showing now after running it again today. this is with the element disconnected and that coil replaced with a spare) having said that i am a little concerned the new one may have leaked a little bit of water.

I might set it to do a hot wash to energise the hot water coil, see if it trips the breaker. it was the hot water coil i replaced.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12