Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aussiebroadband any good

Thanks

Default aussiebroadband any good

Am looking through all the providers around now and
    have noticed aussiebroadband mentioned a few times
    and they seem to have a good price point compared to
    telstra whom im with at the moment. The nbn is supposed
    to ne lit up in my area shortly so looking around.

does anyone use them and if so are they any good
    i do use usernet etc so interested how that goes with them.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Be aware these companies are only the 'Retail Suppliers' of the NBN.
    I get my NBN internet via Satellite but I have 5 or 6 companies to choose from to pay to use it but there is still only one NBN Satellite up there.
    I started off with AussieBroaband several years ago using the previous Satellite service until one day I received an email from them telling me they were no longer acting as an agent for the service and they passed me onto another company.
    What you cant find out is does ABB have their own Call Centre and service staff or do they just contract to one company who does it all, a bit like the NRMA or the RAC in each State ??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (18-10-17)

Thanks

I'm with Aussie and have been for the past 2 months. They have there own backhaul here in WA, where ever you are they probably do as well.

Mine is a 50/20 speed and 1TB per month for $95. My speeds are generally 47-48 down and 17-18 up. and this is constant all day. and they don't do unlimited which doesn't worry me

Can't complain with what I'm getting and very happy

hope this helps

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (18-10-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would also check Whirlpool.

The major problem with NBN providers (non satellite) is some are skimping on buying sufficient bandwidth. If you find any suggestion they are doing this, then I would avoid them.

efab's comment that they dont do unlimited in my opinion is a good sign rather than a bad one.

Thanks

yep had a look through whirlpool and not to may complaints .

They have a deal on at the moment free first month double data and no lock in
    contracts .the no lock in contract is what made me look at them in the first instance.

They also seem to have their help desk in australia and a rep on whirlpool
    who looks to sort things out quickly , also apart from the no lock in contracts they also
    are happy with BYO modem and as long as it is a NBN approved one they provide
    support setting it up etc
    Last edited by fandtm666; 18-10-17 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks

yeah I had my own modem and there was no hassle setting it up - piss easy really.

speaking to the local reseller here, he said that they buy so much bandwidth and when they get to a certain level, I think he said 80 or 85% then they buy more

how true that is I don't know, but with not having any issues myself I inclined to believe him. probably the best one to deal with at the moment, oh and I'm on no contract which is great

Premium Member

Thanks

Beware of this 'No Lock In Contract' as that appears to be a standard feature with the NBN itself.
    What some do though is flog you a modem which is what attracts a period contract, ie Free Modem if you sign a 900 year forever contract...........
    I really havent looked at the Terrestrial services but with the Satellite, the NBN set certain parameters and let the companies work around them and some are 'creative' in their presentation to make you think your getting a great deal from them.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (19-10-17)

Thanks

thanks for the advise gordon

1; who ever i choose must allow me to use my own modem

2; have no lock in contract so if they are shit i can switch with no fees

Thanks

that's the way aussie works, and probably others as well, but it's a hell of a headache trolling through all the guff

Thanks

They are a reputed company so much so as they are the number one go to nbn provider at the moment. Me and neigbour tried to get on it when nbn arived in our area so we rang up. He was told sorry all our lines are full but we are working to increase capacity and will be available such and such a date. When i rang up a day latter i got same message but one month latter estimated connection? Anyway he waited i hooked up with a small company and havent looked back. To this day months have passed and promised phone call to let us know it is available hasnt happened and he also moved on.
    To admin yes they are a company in victoria gippsland area and have there own centre and local support. Skymesh and aussie broadband were fighting it out for number one nbn provider but aussie has taken over as the other mob were taken over by a pomie company and quickly went down hill.
    To FAND >you have to work out what you want. First you need to know har far you going to be from the box, and than only than woirk out your needs. Say your 1000mtrs from the box you would be silly to go for the 100/40 plan as you would not get anywhere near it if your on fttn. Than when you work out what speed you can get you have to choose as to what service you need unlimited or not. Do not believe when you read unlimited services are bad dont touch that is a myth. Don't look at the major providers eg optus telstra so on big is not always good.
    When youre area gets hooked up and you find out how far you are from the nod than you might get a better picture from people on here.
    Last edited by levend; 21-10-17 at 06:04 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to levend For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (21-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by levend View Post
    you have to work out what you want. First you need to know har far you going to be from the box, and than only than woirk out your needs. Say your 1000mtrs from the box you would be silly to go for the 100/40 plan as you would not get anywhere near it if your on fttn. Than when you work out what speed you can get you have to choose as to what service you need unlimited or not. Do not believe when you read unlimited services are bad dont touch that is a myth. Don't look at the major providers eg optus telstra so on big is not always good.
    When youre area gets hooked up and you find out how far you are from the nod than you might get a better picture from people on here.
    Yep i am 327Mtrs from the node and with usage i am on a 500gig at the moment and never use all of it
    so there are quite a few options , just a matter of reading more on ppls experiences with
    all the different providers.

cheers
    Last edited by fandtm666; 21-10-17 at 10:01 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

What I forgot to say about ABB was that when they dumped me, I was palmed off onto SkyMesh who had left me on the 'Plan' I had with ABB although they had their own which I didnt think was quite as good as the ABB one was.
    I cant remember now if I was given the option of looking at changing to another provider or not but as they seemed much the same, I just went with the flow.

This wont apply to the Terrestrial providers I dont think but I found out later a company called SKYBRIDGE was the actual Installer of the satellite dish etc and it was they who arranged for any service calls not the ISP I paid the access fees too.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-10-17 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    Yep i am 327Mtrs from the node and with usage i am on a 500gig at the moment and never use all of it
    so there are quite a few options , just a matter of reading more on ppls experiences with
    all the different providers.

cheers
    Yes i was like you only 500g even though i was unlimited . But you will be suprise with the nbn how much more you want to use the net. Where you are you will be to get good speeds between 75 to 90 even on fttn.
    Reading what people say makes sence but you need to be aware of trolls eg on whirlpool forum which all they do is rubbish a certain company and keep doing it.
    Like anything unless you try it yourself youll never know. Find a provider and if you are happy stick with them.
    Who are you with on adsl? and are you happy with that service?

Thanks

ok so update

i went with ABB and was connected this morning on a 100/40 plan
    i also purchased a Asus DSL-AC68U to replace my other modem which was
    not suitable for FTTN.

from the application to activation was 2 weeks at which time i was kept upto date
    with the progress via email and txt.

now i am roughly 317mtrs from the node so was hoping for decent speed
    so ran some speed tests and very happy though ill probably have a play
    with the modem and throw a few teaks at it to see if there is improvement

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

william10 (24-11-17)

Thanks

do you have more than 1 outlet still in the house, if you do then disconnect them at the first junction so that the line goes to the modem only.
    They aren't necessary and will drag your speed down. I suppose it's like a pipe without ends on it.

Oh forgot to say if you use the speed test on the ABB website you will find the results may be different and which one you believe is up to you
    Last edited by efab; 25-11-17 at 10:05 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (25-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    do you have more than 1 outlet still in the house, if you do then disconnect them at the first junction so that the line goes to the modem only.
    They aren't necessary and will drag your speed down. I suppose it's like a pipe without ends on it.

Oh forgot to say if you use the speed test on the ABB website you will find the results may be different and which one you believe is up to you
    Thanks for the advise , my modem is setup 50cm from the inlet and connects directly to
    it and i have no other phone connections in my house at all, from there all cables through out the
    house is cat 6 running through managed gigabit switch's .

as for the speeds im pretty happy considering im 300 odd meters away and it is very stable but
    me being me i can not help but tinker a little to see what i can squeeze out of it.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 25-11-17 at 10:12 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Those speeds sound about right to me.

I am approx 100m from the node and get roughly the same speeds as you.

Speeds will vary from one speed test location to another and also by time of day (available bandwidth versus demand).

Thanks

enjoy and hopefully it wont turn to shit.

I'm still with them and am very happy for the speeds I get

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    Thanks for the advise , my modem is setup 50cm from the inlet and connects directly to
    it and i have no other phone connections in my house at all, from there all cables through out the
    house is cat 6 running through managed gigabit switch's .

as for the speeds im pretty happy considering im 300 odd meters away and it is very stable but
    me being me i can not help but tinker a little to see what i can squeeze out of it.
    What speeds are you getting? as anything under 400 mtrs should be high. I'm 315 mtrs away and always sit on 93 down and 36 up on fttn.

Thanks

One thing though i found out over the weekend and that
    is they block port 25 so if you have an email and it requires
    that port 25 ur fooked unless you can use the ssl which
    i am lucky enough to be able to use port 465.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast