Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Drive Smart 61 LMT-S 7 Inch GPS Unit

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Garmin Drive Smart 61 LMT-S 7 Inch GPS Unit

Garmin Drive Smart 61 LMT-S 7 Inch GPS Unit

Does anyone have this unit As I would like to know MAINLY how it works for alerting you from Speed Camera, Red Light Cameras, Speed limits, Schools Speed Zones Yeah how do they preform for these issues,

Also This above unit using blu-tooth, Can you pair this GPS unit to your cars blu tooth System so you can alert you on the Cars screen which is larger (our VF Commodore has the My Link system).
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 21-10-17 at 06:48 PM.

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post

Does anyone have this unit As I would like to know MAINLY how it works for alerting you from Speed Camera, Red Light Cameras, Speed limits, Schools Speed Zones Yeah how do they preform for these issues,

Also This above unit using blu-tooth, Can you pair this GPS unit to your cars blu tooth System so you can alert you on the Cars screen which is larger (our VF Commodore has the My Link system).
    Thanks
    113 Views but it seems no one has this 2017 unit and cannot give a review on it

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

I don't know about the blutooth pairing ability, but speedzones, cameras etc work the same as all other gps navigators... relies on a database input from mapping producers, also many provide for input from users.

It is not real-time, just what is loaded in the map memory, etc.

You should never rely on that information being accurate, it is only a guide.

Thanks

Thanks
    I don't have that device so didn't answer at the time. However, i can make some statements quite categorically about other similar Garmin devices and their general operation:

Some functions are map related and some are reliant on on-board files. The Speed Limits (aka SLI function) and School zones are embedded info of the detail map. The device can utilise them because the functions are enabled in its firmware. An older 'lesser-speced' device with the same map loaded may not be able to show either or may be only able to use the SLI function. School zones can also be added as a third-party GPI file for such devices. Speed camera and redlight camera alerts are enabled only by using an on-board GPI file, some like Garmin's Cyclops are know as Safety Camera alerts. Your DriveSmart would have come with a sample file in it's POI folder which is quite limited as to camera locations.

Generally, Garmin's Bluetooth is only for pairing the device to a mobile phone to make and receive calls handsfree. Therefore it cannot be paired to a car's infotainment unit to show alerts or any other info from the device. An exception to such 'phone only' pairings are Zumo motorcycle devices which may have the ability to pair both a phone and a helmet headset.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (24-10-17),Tiny (24-10-17),tristen (24-10-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    I don't have that device so didn't answer at the time.
    +1 Me too, thanks for your valuable input.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (24-10-17)

Thanks

I don't have that device so didn't answer at the time. However, i can make some statements quite categorically about other similar Garmin devices and their general operation:

Some functions are map related and some are reliant on on-board files. The Speed Limits (aka SLI function) and School zones are embedded info of the detail map. The device can utilise them because the functions are enabled in its firmware. An older 'lesser-speced' device with the same map loaded may not be able to show either or may be only able to use the SLI function. School zones can also be added as a third-party GPI file for such devices. Speed camera and redlight camera alerts are enabled only by using an on-board GPI file, some like Garmin's Cyclops are know as Safety Camera alerts. Your DriveSmart would have come with a sample file in it's POI folder which is quite limited as to camera locations.

Generally, Garmin's Bluetooth is only for pairing the device to a mobile phone to make and receive calls handsfree. Therefore it cannot be paired to a car's infotainment unit to show alerts or any other info from the device. An exception to such 'phone only' pairings are Zumo motorcycle devices which may have the ability to pair both a phone and a helmet headset.
    All this is new for me. So it looks like If I want to get protection for Red Light Cameras and Fixed Speed cameras I will have to purchased for a year the Garmin Cyclops Red Light and Fixed Speed Cameras for Aust and NZ that cost $39 a yearly subscription.

Thanks

Another Question I would like to know as I purchased the Garmin Drive Smart 60 LMT-S this arvo, It seem you cannot charge it via the USB on "an Example" The Computer, or the typical USB charger you have laying around the House. It works ok with the Supplied Charger that you plug into the 12Volt Charging point. Is there a reason for this? Not enough Current on a USB Charger you have hanging around you house.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Yes, most GPS devices, especially those with larger batteries, typically require higher charge current.

Larger tablet chargers are usually OK, as are chargers that deliver over 2A.

A USB cable capable of handling the extra current is also helpful.

As for red light and speed cameras.... I never bother subscribing to updates.

The simple solution to those is not to run red lights or speed, just observe signs and you avoid fines.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (26-10-17)

Thanks

All this is new for me. So it looks like If I want to get protection for Red Light Cameras and Fixed Speed cameras I will have to purchased for a year the Garmin Cyclops Red Light and Fixed Speed Cameras for Aust and NZ that cost $39 a yearly subscription.
    Unless you want to search around for decrypted/unlocked version of latest Cyclops of course.

Another Question I would like to know as I purchased the Garmin Drive Smart 60 LMT-S this arvo, It seem you cannot charge it via the USB on "an Example" The Computer, or the typical USB charger you have laying around the House. It works ok with the Supplied Charger that you plug into the 12Volt Charging point. Is there a reason for this? Not enough Current on a USB Charger you have hanging around you house.
    Thanks
    What mtv said is spot on. However if you only want to charge it you may get by with only a 1A 5V power source. If your intention is to also navigate with it as well as charge the battery then you'll likely need a 2A current. A 500 mA charger simply won't cut it.
    Last edited by Surething; 24-10-17 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

As for red light and speed cameras.... I never bother subscribing to updates.

The simple solution to those is not to run red lights or speed, just observe signs and you avoid fines.
    Sign what signs? Viewed the sign and one second later I have become Confused and forgotten what it was.

Its easy when you had not have a Stroke. For me I see a Speed sign and I second later I have forgot what speed should I be travailing. The is one of the Many, Many Many Many discussion that people that had a stroke and still drive after being cleared by the Doctor. Just imaging that as 90% of the time I want to say something on this forum I forget it before I start typing Or Better still One Word with 10 letters by the time I spell the Word in my head I forgotten the word that I'm trying to spell around 50% after I start typing. I have Struggled in the last year and trying to make my life better and if I can I will do it even if it cost me $$$$

Thanks

Unless you want to search around for decrypted/unlocked version of latest Cyclops of course.

What mtv said is spot on. However if you only want to charge it you may get by with only a 1A 5V power source. If your intention is to also navigate with it as well as charge the battery then you'll likely need a 2A current. A 500 mA charger simply won't cut it.
    Surprised today as I took the Gamin for a dive with my daughter and it did not go off on our local Schools, (3 of them) Maybe because it was 9.15 AM not 7 to 9 AM or 2 to 4 PM. Now we have 2 Redlight Cameras locally One for 6 years old, the other 4 to 5 months Old (shiny GaL on the Pole) and to my surprise they went went OFF when I was 400, 300 200 100M away Buzzed it head of and it told me the distance from it. Also I found the OnLy Brice HWY Speed camera around our way and also it worked. Surprised I have payed noting for this, this must be standard on this model

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, iv had the unit for about 3 mths but ive been out of range in the gemfields for the past 9 weeks. Voice command seemed to be very hit and miss to activate untill I changed the wake up phrase to "*ucktard", we now have a much better understanding and it seems to be far more responsive, although it now tends to respond every time a p plater wizzes past.

Thanks

Surprised today as I took the Gamin for a dive with my daughter and it did not go off on our local Schools, (3 of them) Maybe because it was 9.15 AM not 7 to 9 AM or 2 to 4 PM.
    If you have the local time set correctly they will only alert in the times for the 40kph restriction.

Now we have 2 Redlight Cameras locally One for 6 years old, the other 4 to 5 months Old (shiny GaL on the Pole) and to my surprise they went went OFF when I was 400, 300 200 100M away Buzzed it head of and it told me the distance from it. Also I found the OnLy Brice HWY Speed camera around our way and also it worked. Surprised I have payed noting for this, this must be standard on this model
    As i said before you get a sample file. Mostly only the major cams, so don't rely on it totally. Re the Bruce H'way speed cam, there's a few but if you mean the speed averaging one it rakes in kazillions i reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew041 View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, iv had the unit for about 3 mths but ive been out of range in the gemfields for the past 9 weeks. Voice command seemed to be very hit and miss to activate untill I changed the wake up phrase to "*ucktard", we now have a much better understanding and it seems to be far more responsive, although it now tends to respond every time a p plater wizzes past.
    Lol! FLlCKTARD! Love it ..... Hate when red P platers yell it at me tho' ..... a 70 yo greyheaded old fart diving a Turbo Liberty. So most of them regret it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (26-10-17)

Thanks

there's a few but if you mean the speed averaging one it rakes in kazillions i reckon.

Point "A" to Point "B" Rakes a Million. Yes people don't understand how they work so they get booked and they say why? as they were no camera where the car was doing 110 KPH but slowed down to 95 KPH before the next Camera.

I need ever help I can get to doing everything today. Voice does not work for me because my voice is no good for voice recoginatioin
    (it took me about 8 Minutes to type the above, I cannot spell any more and its that bad that spell checker has trouble finding the word )

this is typical with me the below full of mistakes

I want to holden tobsyanew csr and they dad not hdv it threreso ihadtowait for weal beforeicsnsee it.

Now aftert this I have to deciver it to make it so people can see and understand what I'm saying. Its a Struggle today to do the basic thing in life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew041 View Post
    Voice command seemed to be very hit and miss to activate untill I changed the wake up phrase to "*ucktard",
    After my Stroke my voice has 100% changed to a point that my wife (30 years together) has trouble understanding me. Even My Parrots Know there is something wrong with me Mainly My African Grey Parrot as she is very very smart and says "Are you OK? After my wife said to me now and then. The Bids says this in context the correct time as when I not to good she says this "Are you ok". I had given to me from a guy on this forum a program that types for me but the troubles was the program cant understand me.

Thanks

Mate, I'm so sorry that you've had to endure what you have and are still. I feel ashamed now because when i dragged myself out of bed this morning with stiff unresponsive joints, i grumbled to myself 'Jeez! Why me?' I suppose like i am you're getting up there a bit, as i've now had the biblical 3 score years and ten i'm should feel thankful i'm luckily still in relatively good shape [touch wood!]. If i can ever help you with anything Garmin 'on the house' [like up-to-date safety cams ] just post or PM me. I'm not always around but i do try to check in now and again.

Keep your chin up.
    Last edited by Surething; 27-10-17 at 02:51 PM. Reason: correct spelling typo.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (27-10-17)

Thanks

Mate, I'm so sorry that you've had to endure what you have are are still. I feel ashamed now because when i dragged myself out of bed this morning with stiff unresponsive joints, i grumbled to myself 'Jeez! Why me?' I suppose like i am you're getting up there a bit, as i've now had the biblical 3 score years and ten i'm should feel thankful i'm luckily still in relatively good shape [touch wood!]. If i can ever help you with anything Garmin 'on the house' [like up-to-date safety cams ] just post or PM me. I'm not always around but i do try to check in now and again.

Keep your chin up.
    Thanks a many for your offers.
    I've noticed in Audible Drive Alerts they is a BUG in there. You have SPEED LIMIT REDUCTION , Animal Crossings, School, Railroad Crossings, Bends, Slower Traffic so say you want to select one of them ONLY the one you select and go out of that page selects the the ABOVE ONE!! YES Select SCHOOL and get out of it and get back into it and I find Animal Crossing turn on.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 27-10-17 at 09:38 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

Surething (27-10-17)

Thanks

That's certainly a problem. Check if there's a firmware update, connect it to either GarminExpress or WebUpdater on PC. Also hard reset it, it's a good idea to do that both before and after a firmware update anyway. Back up your favourites from the GPX folder if you want to restore them later. Look for a file named 'current.gpx' and copy it somewhere on your computer. After you've reset, rename it temp.gpx and put it back in the GPX folder.

Thanks

I have noticed that a few of our local schools are not included in my Garmin so I can manually add them but the question I would like to know is If I MANUALLY add one school in my Garmin and it have the POI in there (never drove to the school to test) already for speed reduction to 40 KPH between the times of 7 to 9 AM and 2 to 4PM arvo what happens if this happens.
    Question 1/
    How will the Garmin 61 LMT-S Behave with TWO Files for the same location. ( I'm thinking for this possibility as it can happen as we have 3 out of six schools missing our area)

Question 2/
    What happens If I add my own POI and works perfectly and months ahead GARMIN add there own POI for that school, So what can happen if and when this happen. Like the above will it still work or will not work because we have the same name of the school or siminiar and similiar Lat and Long for that school.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 30-10-17 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks

It's no problem to have both the map embedded POI and a dedicated Schools zone POI as well. The worst that can happen is that you'll get duplicate alerts competing with each other [that can drive you a bit bonkers but better than no alert].

The *.gpi files you can download free from the internet to put in the POI folder won't be time sensitive, so do alert mindlessly and annoyingly whereas the ones from the map are correctly alerted morning and afternoon according to the time set on the device.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast