Thread: GPS charging

Thanks

Default GPS charging

Hi guys,

I'm come across a small problem. I've won a generic GPS on ebay (and it's on its way) but it only comes with a car charger. Generally this isn't a problem - most people use their GPS devices in cars and even if they use them outside a car, they do have access to one. But, I'm going travelling carless and the battery clearly isn't going to last well over a week to a month.

Is there any way I can use a standard transformer to charge my unit?

I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'd need to read off the unit what the required input voltage and measure the required plug. Is that right? Once I've got that, get the transformer with the required plug and then dump it in? Presumably it's 12 V as that's what the car's voltage should be.

Anyone know or come across something similar? Even at home, I'd prefer to charge it outside the car, not inside the car.

Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I use a power pack similar to this for testing stuff , all i did was purchase one of those lighter extender cables then take the plug end of so it connects to this power pack then use it as if it was a cigaret lighter at home

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    I use a power pack similar to this for testing stuff , all i did was purchase one of those lighter extender cables then take the plug end of so it connects to this power pack then use it as if it was a cigaret lighter at home

What do you mean by "lighter extender cable"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaX View Post
    Presumably it's 12 V as that's what the car's voltage should be.
    The ex-Aldi Tevion P310 that I have charges via the USB port. The car charger that came with it spits out 5V, and is good for 1.5A, from memory. To charge it indoors, without hanging it off a computer or a 13.8V power supply, I just used a powered USB hub. Takes longer to charge though, as you'd expect.

If you're going to be running yours off the internal battery, set the backlight to the lowest usable level, with auto shut-off after 30 seconds or so. Even then, the battery life will be pretty miserable, if it's anything like mine.

Thanks

as i mentioned i use a power supply similar to the one in my picture in previous post i then connect this to the psu and then just use the car charger to charge / test etc.i put bannana plugs on the cable and they just plug in

Thanks

Another solution is to buy an AC Adaptor Plugpack 12Vdc 1A from Dick Smith ($27), as per:

Graham M

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colin 2905 View Post
    The ex-Aldi Tevion P310 that I have charges via the USB port. The car charger that came with it spits out 5V, and is good for 1.5A, from memory. To charge it indoors, without hanging it off a computer or a 13.8V power supply, I just used a powered USB hub. Takes longer to charge though, as you'd expect.

If you're going to be running yours off the internal battery, set the backlight to the lowest usable level, with auto shut-off after 30 seconds or so. Even then, the battery life will be pretty miserable, if it's anything like mine.
    I'm wondering if charging off the USB is going to be worse for the battery. I may or may not have a powered USB device while I travel (e.g. laptop etc.) so it's an option I'll keep in mind, but might not take up. If it's USB I'd expect 5V.

Now I just need the device to arrive to see how many V's it wants the input at the power socket.

As for battery life, I'm not sure. It only gives me the mAh rating, which doesn't mean much without knowing current draw. The DX one seems to have good battery life, but with the falling AUD etc., being able to get it for half price on ebay with maps was too good to resist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post

as i mentioned i use a power supply similar to the one in my picture in previous post i then connect this to the psu and then just use the car charger to charge / test etc.i put bannana plugs on the cable and they just plug in
    Ah I see. Thanks.

Looking at the DSE website, they seem to have a similar thing except with the converted plug built in. I might go for that option (just to keep it "consumer grade" aesthetically to please others.) Also to make it more sturdy if I'm going to be lugging it around for a month.

The problem now is gonna be weight. No switching power supplies that do the same job? The DSE one looks conventional.

I guess there's plenty of options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM View Post
    Another solution is to buy an AC Adaptor Plugpack 12Vdc 1A from Dick Smith ($27), as per:

Graham M
    Looks good as an option. Just hope they've got a lighter/smaller one than that.

IF the plugs work out and I can read the voltage input required, I might stick with my multi-voltagae transformer (as long as the voltage falls into 3,6,9 or 12V.) If it's 5, then I'm stuffed...(without buying stuff or using USB).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaX View Post
    I'm come across a small problem. I've won a generic GPS on ebay (and it's on its way) but it only comes with a car charger.
    Most bluetooth GPS receivers uses either a mini USB port for power, or a mini plug (similar to a Nokia phone charger). There are plenty of AC chargers for either readily available on the net.