Thread: Don't read this if you are an Apple user. :D

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Don't read this if you are an Apple user. :D

? You may well be surprised!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

cmangle (24-11-17)

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Why wouldn't an Apple user want to read this?
    This is not about MAC or iOS vulnerabilty(that is still orders of magnitude safer than Windows) but people's behaviour.

Their definition of 'Tech savvy' is a bit washed out in that report too.
    My definition of tech savvy is to be aware of threats and know how to protect myself while I use the latest technology.
    Their definition is a more 'sheeple' aproach that buys and uses the latest tech without looking closer at the consequences when they use it blindly.

Of course no OS preference will help if you use weak passwords.

Non 'tech savvy' (as per their definition) who might not understand all the new technology, may not trust it either. They would be more inclined to use stronger passwords.
    This is not about intelligence, but instinct and of course laziness, which people tend to get when they use the technology a lot in their 'higher positions' while having have a lot of other things on their hands.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-11-17 at 11:57 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (27-11-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I use my Mac machine for banking etc. but will NOT use any Windows machine due to its inherent security flaws.

I agree with all that nomeat has said.

Of course all operating systems are vulnerable but one should use one's (dare I use the term?) common sense to use them wisely.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (27-11-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

The title was rather tongue in cheek. Of course identity theft can occur anywhere to anyone. Apple (and Linux) users, typically, are a little blasé when it comes to security i.e. "Windows is insecure, we are all right!"

This is more of a timely warning to all and sundry.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The title was rather tongue in cheek. Apple (and Linux) users, typically, are a little blasé when it comes to security i.e. "Windows is insecure, we are all right!"

I am the other way round. I wouldn't use Apple or Linux as they are insecure

You can buy valid Apple ID's by the bucketload on hacking sites. And that is why it is ALWAYS people with iPhones who end up having all their personal photos stolen.

I must admit not getting hacked and all the above is getting quite boring after 20 years.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I am the other way round. I wouldn't use Apple or Linux as they are insecure

You can buy valid Apple ID's by the bucketload on hacking sites. And that is why it is ALWAYS people with iPhones who end up having all their personal photos stolen.
    That has got to be the funniest thing I read all week.

You keep confusing bad password managment with OS insecurity ... and that for years now.
    What ppl do with their passwords is definitely not a fault with the operating system.

...and no amount of updates will fix that, ROFL

To screw things up with Unix you will need some sort of passkey entry.
    but for Windows there is a billion $ industry earning on all the weak spots for decades and no matter how many times you are harrassed with updates, more weaknesses are found probably daily.

... or are you so sure your beloved Windows 10 is now so secure now that you can do without Kaspersky
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

used apple phones and tablets for years and never had an issue
    But also don't used cloud which helps

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    That has got to be the funniest thing I read all week.

You keep confusing bad password managment with OS insecurity ... and that for years now.
    What ppl do with their passwords is definitely not a fault with the operating system.

...and no amount of updates will fix that, ROFL

To screw things up with Unix you will need some sort of passkey entry.
    but for Windows there is a billion $ industry earning on all the weak spots for decades and no matter how many times you are harrassed with updates, more weaknesses are found probably daily.

... or are you so sure your beloved Windows 10 is now so secure now that you can do without Kaspersky
    yeah, right.......

Thanks

so I'm fine - Mac user with an Apple phone, and a male Gen X ........ (and my root user has a password )

i think it has a lot to do with technology and typically it's someone with the internet with a computer that has an operating system, and was born a male or female that owns a phone - but that's my personal opinion, but I may be wrong

I have that many chats with people that have been "hacked" and their version of "hacked" is sooooooo different to my version of "hacked"

see, my version is where someone brute forces or sniffs a password using Backtrack or something like that where most Centennials think telling their BFF their password, then having a fallout with their BFF, then their exBFF logging into their oldBFF's instagram, snapchat & facebook account is hacking

phew - got a headache now

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 29-11-17 at 09:21 PM.
    有段者