Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you think Apple plays fair?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default So you think Apple plays fair?

Apple Caught Throttling Old iPhone Performance, Calls It a “Feature”

Maybe if Apple wants to slide in a “feature” that decreases the performance of a phone without permission, they should include a notification that also informs the user that their battery capacity has declined and they can either live with the new slowness or fix it with a battery swap. A battery swap from Apple costs $79. I don’t think I need to tell you how much it costs to upgrade your phone to a new one.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Nothing really new with that type of tactic.

Microsoft is a perfect example of limiting performance of earlier releases of software and OS... sometimes to the extent of some ceasing working altogether.

Banned

Thanks

Agreed, how many versions of Windows 7 were there?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

They tell you up front that 'everything is subject to change without notification' but we silly consumers think this relates to the next model having features our current one doesn't but obviously in Apples case, this 'change' could affect the performance of the devise you have bought.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    Maybe if Apple wants to slide in a “feature” that decreases the performance of a phone without permission, they should include a notification that also informs the user that their battery capacity has declined and they can either live with the new slowness or fix it with a battery swap.
    There is a notification as you describe. The phone kept displaying something similar to “Your iPhone battery needs servicing”.

I got the message on one of my phones and know of another who got the same message. I switched out the battery and haven’t had an issue - not that I noticed it any slower before hand though.

Thanks

I read online that the speed goes back up once you change out the battery.

I don't believe the move is as 'evil' as it is made out to be by the media.

• The Following User Says Thank You to urban_s0ulja For This Useful Post:

cmangle (24-12-17)

Banned

Thanks

Apparently some attorney(s) are/have been convinced it is not as common nor innocent a practice, and that there was malice involved!

"Apple hit with lawsuit alleging it deliberately "slows down iPhone processors" in older models of the iPhone without the consent of phone owners."

Last edited by cmangle; 23-12-17 at 06:11 AM.

Banned

Thanks

"Defendant breached the implied contracts it made with Plaintiffs and Class Members by purposefully slowing down older iPhone models when new models come out and by failing to properly disclose that at the time the parties entered into an agreement,” said a lawsuit filed by Wilshire Law Firm on behalf of Stefan Bogdanovich and Dakota Speas. The pair are seeking both California and nationwide class action status for their suit."

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Independent from any conspiracy claims or not:
    Slowing down down the CPU clock makes absolute sense if the battery can not keep up any more.
    This means less drain on the battery and longer usable life.
    Apple likes to automate things, that is why it is not offered as an option, simply because the average user wouldn't really know the exact state of the battery and when or how far to throttle the CPU to make this work.
    If people use their phone as a gaming platform then they most certainly need to invest in a 'new battery' better a new phone(it's too weak dude), but if used for the original intended purpose: just as a phone and maybe the occasional snap shot selfie, then prolonging service life this way may be a good idea.

Unfortunately all the overpriced sheeple phones now have non-replaceable batteries.

I also ditched my Samsung Note for something that fits my more technical demands but even it has a so called non user replacable battery, but compared to an iPhone it is very easy for me to replace.
    I haven't touched an iPhone from version 6 onwards or later model Samsungs because they are just cheap glue jobs that are insane to take apart. The shops might have some special melting or delaminating equipment, but this is not for the simple tinkerer with spudgers and suction caps any more. I guess that was part of the reason why they made them 'waterproof'.

Overpriced throw-away rubbish, that is how I see them.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-12-17 at 09:45 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned

Thanks

I'm curious to see how the courts here decide on whether or not it was/is deceptive!

Banned

Thanks

2 more Apple lawsuits . . . boy when attorneys smell blood they swarm . . .!

"Apple Insider has reported that attorneys on behalf of Keaton Harvey have filed another suit against Apple. The class-action suit alleges that the company’s decision to slow down old iPhones “allowed Apple to conceal the true nature and scope of the battery defect and to avoid expending time, money, and effort on correcting it.”

The suit requests that Apple notify owners about changes to the OS, repair the flaws in the software that led to the throttling, and reimburse those who bought affected iPhones."

Third iPhone battery lawsuit says Apple used slowdowns to avoid fixing defects

"Taking a different tack, another class action lawsuit —following Apple's admission that it slows down iPhones with weakened batteries —charges that the company made the change to avoid the full cost of fixing defects."

"Throttling" allowed Apple to conceal the true nature and scope of the battery defect and to avoid expending time, money, and effort on correcting it," according to the court filing, with the "added benefit" that people dealing with slower iPhones would be prompted to upgrade."

"Apple has been hit by a small barrage of lawsuits following a Wednesday statement in which claimed that a 2016 iOS update for the iPhone 6, 6s, and SE was intended to "smooth out the instantaneous peaks" and prevent phones with cold or degraded batteries from suddenly shutting down."
    Last edited by cmangle; 25-12-17 at 05:21 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Playing "devil's advocate" here. Maybe the slowdown is a way of keeping older technology going because the battery running at full power is likely to fail anyway.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

cmangle (26-12-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

So you think Apple plays fair?

NOW IT IS A COMPLETE NO FOR ME !

Acording to this report:

Apple wants to reduce the battery replacement cost to US$29 which sounds reasonable,
    but for Aussies it will be $119, or $138.95 if it requires shipping.
    and that from a company that earns billions here but pays almost no tax.

APPLE GO HOME !

...and that from sombody who is typing this on a MacBook Pro.

Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

cmangle (30-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Apple wants to reduce the battery replacement cost to US$29 which sounds reasonable,
    but for Aussies it will be $119, or $138.95 if it requires shipping.
    and that from a company that earns billions here but pays almost no tax.

APPLE GO HOME !

...and that from sombody who is typing this on a MacBook Pro.
    Apple AU released a statement on 28/12/17 advising that from mid-January replacement batteries will be reduced by $80 from $119 to $39.

The only question is, why was it ever $119.

Edit: the statement is here:
    Last edited by peteramjet; 30-12-17 at 06:49 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

mandc (30-12-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Apple AU released a statement on 28/12/17 advising that from mid-January replacement batteries will be reduced by $80 from $119 to $39.

Well I'll be lining up for one of those. It's ridiculous that you can't find the cycle life or current battery capacity on an iphone without using third party programs. Macbook pro's have it built in.

Used coconutBattery on the macbook to check my phone...down to 84% and 420 cycles.

I hold off updating the ios for as long as possible as all updates add more features (bloat) that slows down earlier models. I just hope the battery replacement doesn't come with a forced update to my ios.
    Last edited by mandc; 30-12-17 at 08:59 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I wonder if this tactic is across other products in Apples range??

I use a MacBook Pro most of the time
    It is a 2011 model, still on original battery, BUT, i haven't upgraded the OS since i got it and the Battery still runs ok
    Just over 6 years from a laptop that i haven't had to touch in anyway, i'm pretty happy with that.

There has been 4 OS updates, i wonder if they would effect my Battery life?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 30-12-17 at 10:13 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

i haven't updated the os on either my 6 or 6s in a while
    so i really haven't noticed any difference.

But with apple dropping the price for a new battery installed
    to $39 for the next yr i will go and get a new battery in each installed.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Well, as always, there are exclusions to Apple's cheap battery replacement offer.

It seems your battery will only be replaced if it fails their test of less than 80% battery capacity...of course only they can tell you this as from ios 10 onwards (the same time they included the slowing down changes) it does not include any way for you to know.

Basically you have to either go into one of their stores after making a booking or pay to send your phone to them then hope that they will allow a battery replacement...I predict a large percentage of requests will be rejected as their tests will give a pass mark even if the battery has only a few months life left in it.
    Last edited by mandc; 31-12-17 at 09:16 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

cmangle (31-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Basically you have to either go into one of their stores after making a booking or pay to send your phone to them then hope that they will allow a battery replacement...I predict a large percentage of requests will be rejected as their tests will give a pass mark even if the battery has only a few months life left in it.
    That was covered in their statement. There will be an iOS update coming out the same time as the battery cost replacement drop, which will tell you how stuffed your battery is.

The link is already posted above, but is:

Thanks

Said no one ever...

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast