Thread: Can the attempt to install CFW on PS3 fat (with OFW) brick it?

Thanks

Default Can the attempt to install CFW on PS3 fat (with OFW) brick it?

Hi all,

Got the YLOD'ed PS3 without the hard drive in it - CECHK02 fat model.
    I fixed the hardware problem, and it now starts, but obviously can not boot as there's no HDD.

I have put the blank FAT32-formatted 40GB HDD in, and tried to "Restore the PS3 system" and "Restore file system" (both via Safe mode menu - press and hold ON button two times), but no luck - it says that I should insert the USB flash with firmware 4.81 or higher to proceed.

Since I don't know which firmware (OFW or CFW) is installed in it now (and have no way of finding that out, as the system doesn't boot), I thought I might attempt to flash it with CFW 4.81 (in case CFW is currently loaded in there).
    I know that CFW can not be installed on the OFW higher than 3.55, but my question is as follows:

If the OFW higher than 3.55 is installed in that PS3, and I attempt to upgrade it to CFW 4.81, will it just reject to do that or can it potentially brick that PS3? If there's a possibility of getting the console bricked, I will rather refrain from attempts to load CFW, and go straight to loading OFW 4.81.
    However, I am tempted to try CFW 4.81 first. Any risk of bricking the PS3 or it'll just refuse to upgrade?

Thanks,
    D

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Why don't you just put OFW 4.81 on it. Make sure every thing works on the Ps3
    Then update to OFW 4.82 and then put Rebug 4.81.2 Firmware on it..

PS3XPLOIT ONLY WORKS WITH OFW (OFFICIAL FW) 4.82 SO DON’T TRY IT ON 4.81 OR LOWER.
    DON’T DARE TRY IT ON A CFW OR YOU’LL BRICK YOUR CONSOLE AND NO AMOUNT OF CRYING WILL BRING IT BACK UNLESS YOU HAVE AN E3 FLASHER (MAYBE).

Info found here:

Cheers

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mol666 For This Useful Post:

carjackma (03-12-17),digital_silence (05-12-17)

Thanks

mol666, thanks for your tip. Up until last week, it was not possible to do that, and I thought there was no way to install CWF on OFW>3.55 without using E3 and taking console apart... Thanks to PS3XPLOIT, it is possible now. I've done that last night and everything worked well. I am now on CFW4.81.2Rebug. Mission accomplished.

Thank you once again for pointing to the right direction.

Much appreciated,
    DS
    Last edited by digital_silence; 05-12-17 at 09:41 AM.