Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NBN Changeovers

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    While I am happy with my NBN connection, it would seem that Belong are not offering ANY premium type speed to FTTN/FTTP users. I signed up based on a comparison sites information that they did, and Belong do NOT state on their website that they will not offer any speed above 25/5 to FTTN/FTTP users.

I have sent them a complaint, asking that due to the above facts, they either offer me a premium speed service or let me go without any penalty. I will post back when I get a reply......I will also make a TIO complaint if they are not reasonable.
    Just a follow up on this one and firstly a brief description of events.

First saw Belong's offer on comparison site Whistle Out. Went to Belong's website, look at offers, Unlimited, 12 month contract , Premium Speed, $90 a month. Looked at CIS (Critical Information Summary) nothing out of the ordinary that I can see, so signed up.

During signup I couldn't select Premium Speed (even though it was there at the start), so selected the highest. Several providers are connecting you first to see your line speed before allowing speed upgrades, so I didnt deem it unusual. So I signed up, got connected at the selected speed of 25/5 and went in to my online portal to check my options. There was no Premium Speed option, Belong are not giving any speed upgrade options past 25/5 to any FTTN/FTTB customers......interesting given they are Telstra's budget offshoot and Telstra offers 50/20 by default in its bundles.

I made a complaint to them 21 days ago. They responded the same day saying they would be working to resolve my request within 5 business days. They also said in the same email that it is their commitment to resolve my complaint within 10 business days. Today, 21 days later, they responded with the following :

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your email, I apologize for the delay response.

Belong does indicate the speeds prior to sing up, unfortunately with FTTN/B our highest speed is 25/5. As part of the ADSL structure is being used Belong commits to 25/5 to avoid offering speeds that may not be met.

If you wish to cancel with Belong service the cancellation fees are valid, as you've confirmed whilst signing up with Belong you've accepted the terms and conditions of our service and agreed to a 25/5 speedboost.

Based on the above investigation and findings your complaint will be closed as unresolved.

If you’re not satisfied with the outcome, you may wish to discuss your options with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO).

Regards

Belong Complaints Team
    Not quite the response I wanted, so I followed up with this :

Thank you for your very slow reply.

As mentioned in my complaint, after reading Whistle Out's offer for Belong and before signing up with Belong, I made a point of reading Belong's Critical Information Summary.

There was no mention whatsoever in the CIS that FTTN customers can only access 25/5
    . In fact, the CIS states the following :

" You may purchase a Standard Evening Speed Boost for an additional $10 per month or a Premium Evening Speed Boost for an additional $30 per month". There is nothing in the CIS to state that I cannot take up this offer.

21 days ago I was informed by Belong that you would be working to resolve my request within 5 business days. You also state in the same email that it is your commitment to resolve my complaint within 10 business days. Regardless of the 2 conflicting statements, Belong clearly didn't make expectations on either. I have since transferred to another provider given that your service was slower than the service it replaced.

Given the ACMA and TIO advise that any Critical Information Summary must state "any exclusions or important conditions, limitations or restrictions" and Belong do not advise of these limitations in the said document, I consider my contract with Belong to be null and void.

Please advise whether Belong still wish to pursue me for cancellation fees, if so I will open a complaint with the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman. I have already spoken with both the TIO and ACMA about this matter and the terms and conditions you mention don't simply over ride Belong's disclosure failure in its CIS. I am of course willing to pay for my usage of the service, something I cannot do given Belong do not allow customers to make a direct payment without giving Belong permission to debit their accounts as they wish.

Given the slow reply to this complaint, if I haven't heard back from Belong in 7 days to advise their position I will then make the TIO complaint. I believe 7 days to be a reasonable amount of time to expect a reply, so I would be loding that complaint on the 13th of January 2018.

Regards,

I'll let you know how I go. In my opinion I have a strong argument as their CIS does not state these limitations.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I agree with all of your comments Admin. Problem was, they were informed.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

got my fttn connection today......

B0 Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps) 26984
    B0 Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps) 61897
    Last edited by hoe; 17-01-18 at 07:05 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Do you have a server closer to home to test speed on hoe, or is that the nearest?

Doesn't seem right... less than 50 miles from Sydney.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

both my old adsl and current nbn show it connecting at sydney......

just did a test using perth server, slightly slower....

Mode VDSL2
    Traffic Type PTM
    Status Up
    Link Power State L0
    Downstream Upstream
    Line Coding (Trellis) On On
    SNR Margin (dB) 7.1 7.0
    Attenuation (dB) 22.3 0.0
    Output Power (dBm) 14.2 7.8
    Attainable Rate (Kbps) 65083 27956
    Rate (Kbps) 62585 28095
    Last edited by hoe; 18-01-18 at 05:09 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

A ping of 73 is pretty high. My pings on FTTN have been tiny since leaving ADSL, example speedtest from my mobile a ping of 8ms.

My custom Speedtest via my shitty old core2duo (yes, you read that right) on wireless also showed a ping of 8ms.

Administrator
    Thanks

First saw Belong's offer on comparison site Whistle Out. Went to Belong's website, look at offers, Unlimited, 12 month contract , Premium Speed, $90 a month. Looked at CIS (Critical Information Summary) nothing out of the ordinary that I can see, so signed up.

During signup I couldn't select Premium Speed (even though it was there at the start), so selected the highest. Several providers are connecting you first to see your line speed before allowing speed upgrades, so I didnt deem it unusual. So I signed up, got connected at the selected speed of 25/5 and went in to my online portal to check my options. There was no Premium Speed option, Belong are not giving any speed upgrade options past 25/5 to any FTTN/FTTB customers......interesting given they are Telstra's budget offshoot and Telstra offers 50/20 by default in its bundles.

I made a complaint to them 21 days ago. They responded the same day saying they would be working to resolve my request within 5 business days. They also said in the same email that it is their commitment to resolve my complaint within 10 business days. Today, 21 days later, they responded with the following :

I'll let you know how I go. In my opinion I have a strong argument as their CIS does not state these limitations.
    These people are idiots. I haven't received a reply at all, just a couple of text messages saying they have suspended my service for non payment.

I would be more than happy to pay the bill, except they do not allow a one off payment. They claim they do, but you have to register a payment that gives them permission to debit you. I wont give that permission.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

tristen (20-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    just be two wires to be disconnected at the currently-used ADSL socket to isolate the rest of the cabling.
    Two snips with the side cutters and now a max rate of 85Mbps - up from 57Mbps.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

admin (27-01-18),mtv (27-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    Two snips with the side cutters and now a max rate of 85Mbps - up from 57Mbps.
    That's a significant increase and confirms what I was saying about the need to isolate any other premises cabling, even if there is nothing else connected to it.

As I mentioned earlier, things like this are a major cause of poor NBN speeds and reliability, when people are often unfairly blaming the network.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (27-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks

And my follow up. A terrible company to deal with, seems to be run with an absolute minimum of staff.

They ignored several of my emails completely, last week I gave them notice that I was making a complaint to the TIO in regards to their invoicing me $220 (of which they couldnt get the money because I blocked Paypal authorisation).

Today I received an email :

Hi Andrew,
    Thank you for your email.
    I sincerely apologise for the delayed response as I have been away on leave for 2 weeks.
    I have removed the $220 charge off your Belong account and payment is not required.

So a win there for me.

Administrator
    Thanks

I also did a change over for a friends mother who is pretty clueless technology wise. Telstra customer.

No major dramas, apart from she had an old 40's/50's Bakelite phone which stopped working. They wont work on the NBN. She was a bit disappointed about that, but I found this product which fixed things.

She has since had a major outage, but its not really NBN related. The copper in the street is terrible and needs replacing, this was confirmed by the technician and she has had previous outages in relation to it.

Administrator
    Thanks

I have also had one friend move house, the service move was faultless (Telstra FTTN to Telstra FTTN in a different suburb)

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345