Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBN Changeovers

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default NBN Changeovers

As most threads in here are full of moaning, generally about nothing in particular, I thought I would post up as I change 3 ADSL services to NBN (FTTN) and chuck some fats in to the fallacies.

One is mine, 2 are (non tech) friends)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

One friend is with Telstra and was happy to change to Telstra's $99 bundle on standard speed. I logged in to his Telstra online account and did it from there.....too easy, didnt have to speak to anyone. It gave a date that the ADSL to NBN would change over and a time (it gives either a morning or afternoon).

A couple of days after the order, he got a new modem in the mail (they even have 4G fall back if there is an NBN internet issue......great idea) and sure enough his ADSL went out at the appointed time. He couldnt get hold of me, but decided to try plugging the modem in and what do you know, it worked

I did a speedtest and it is producing a solid 25/5 exactly as it is meant to, so I am fairly impressed. He is as happy as a pig in shit as his ADSL connection was terrible.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

In my case, I have been trying to screw a speed increase out of Telstra for free on the $99 bundle. They wont play....best they offered was a half price speed upgrade. As I am trying to cut my bills a bit, I decided to go with Belong instead of Telstra....Belong are owned by Telstra and are their "low cost carrier". I was a bit disappointed when I signed up that I could not select premium speed...the fastest as it was greyed out. I can only presume that they cant guarantee it due to the node distance, I have no idea where mine even is. But medium tier speed is fine......sooper dooper fast will wear off quickly I think anyway. I have a heap of stuff to upload rather than download, so anything faster than my current 12/1 will be great.

Anyway, sign up was easy, they even take Paypal for payment and at the moment I am just waiting on the modem which was free (or was it a dollar ?) on a 12 month contract. They state "We’ve reserved your nbn appointment for:11/12/2017 1PM - 5PM" , but also state that :

"Your service should be activated within 2-7 business days of your appointment. You should be connected by:
    18/12/2017"

Logically, if my appointment is on the 11th and I should be activated within 2 days, I would expect the 13th or 14th and not the 18th, but I am presuming they are just covering their arses time wise.

Can anyone answer this one for me, I am presuming all FTTN connections don't require anything except a technician to do something in the street such as in the first case ?

I will report back when I am connected as to whether it was all on time and what speeds I get.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Can anyone answer this one for me, I am presuming all FTTN connections don't require anything except a technician to do something in the street such as in the first case ?
    With FTTN (and FTTC) if you have any parallel phone cabling in your home, it should be disconnected/isolated from the first socket connected to the lead-in, that the NBN modem needs to be plugged into.

The lead-in cable from the street should go directly to the socket the modem will be connected to.

There should be one socket on the modem for a phone handset to be connected.

If you require any other phone sockets to be working, that phone handset socket on the modem gets connected back to the rest of the existing phone cabling in the house.

If the lead-in cable doesn't currently terminate on the socket where the modem is to be plugged it, then cabling changes need to be performed so that it does.

It is possible for NBN to work when other sockets are still connected across the line (eg: not isolated from the lead-in) but doing so can severely slow the NBN data rate down.

Any devices plugged into parallel sockets across the lead-in socket will not function as they previously did... they must be connected to the output line connection on the modem.

If any other devices are across the lead-in (eg still parallel connected... answering machines, ADSL modem, extension ringer, additional handsets, etc) not only will those devices not work, but they can block the NBN signal from getting to the modem correctly.

Everyone blames NBN for speed issues (sometimes they are correct of course) however, incorrect premises cabling is the single most-common issue with NBN speed issues.

I see this almost on a daily basis.

Any of the the above premises cabling is the responsibility and cost of the owner/occupier.

NBN installers do not provide those additional cabling services.

Any licensed cabler can perform the work and it's best to have it done prior to the NBN connection.

That way, you know if there is any issue with the NBN connection to the modem, it is their problem.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (05-12-17),ammlione (03-01-18),efab (06-12-17),Guiseppe (05-12-17),lsemmens (05-12-17),Tiny (05-12-17)

Thanks

my change over went smoothly i was given a date and on the day i noticed the adsl
    stop so i plugged in the new modem and within 1/2 hour was up and running.

to date i have had no issues at all speeds are good connection is stable only issue
    is i do suffer a small drop in speed during peak hours but that is not nbn but the RSP.

As MTV mentioned your connection and cables at home make a huge difference in connection
    speed and stability.I dont have the phone so have a single entry into the garage and
    my modem connects directly to it . The fella next door same company i plugged my modem
    in there to test for him and he struggles to get 2/3rd of my connection which is due to his home
    phone cable setup.

Just keep an eye on your direct debit from Belong.

Last edited by fandtm666; 05-12-17 at 03:43 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

admin (05-12-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Kalgoorlie got 'switched on' yesterday, Boulder is due early january.
    Waiting to see what my line is like, according to the map i will be 350m from the pillar.
    I havent actually seen any nodes, what do they look like ?
    are they buried in the pits ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Kalgoorlie got 'switched on' yesterday, Boulder is due early january.
    Waiting to see what my line is like, according to the map i will be 350m from the pillar.
    you will see the node close to the pillar they are green cabinets similar to the
    electricity box's you see. At 350 meters you should get mid 80's i am similar
    distance and average 85 down 35 up

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post

Just keep an eye on your direct debit from Belong.

It wont be happening with me as I am paying with Paypal, which is a better option in my opinion as you do have some sort of recourse in these situations, similar to a credit card chargeback.

Administrator
    Thanks

As mentioned, FTTN Nodes are usually in green cabinets, like the one in the pic.

There are several different designs used, but you get the idea.

FTTC mostly uses existing Telstra underground pits.

Administrator
    Thanks

I also have no idea what node/pillars look like.

I am currently on ADSL2, 4.5 kms from the exchange. My home is 10 years old, they originally connected us to ADSL1 via a RIM cabinet and due to the huge amount of complaints and lack of ports Telstra installed a Tophat.

I know where the Tophat cabinet is, does anyone know whether it would all be in the same cabinet ?

I might have to go for a drive around my nearest streets for a look.

Administrator
    Thanks

Anyway, sign up was easy, they even take Paypal for payment and at the moment I am just waiting on the modem which was free (or was it a dollar ?) on a 12 month contract.
    Shit, they deliver modems bloody fast. Startrack lobbed it on the door step and took off without a signature.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I also have no idea what node/pillars look like.

I am currently on ADSL2, 4.5 kms from the exchange. My home is 10 years old, they originally connected us to ADSL1 via a RIM cabinet and due to the huge amount of complaints and lack of ports Telstra installed a Tophat.

I know where the Tophat cabinet is, does anyone know whether it would all be in the same cabinet ?

I might have to go for a drive around my nearest streets for a look.

save yourself a drive.......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

thats not a node
    thats a node

https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Administrator
    Thanks

Here are some pics of the Belong Modem.

I was going to just use it to get up and running then buy a new modem, but just thinking.........can I plug my TP - Link Archer D7 in to it and use the Archer as a Router ? Or would that upset the apple cart ( I have read of port lock outs for unauthorised equipment).
    I am presuming it would be ok, as the Belong Modem is used as the modem ? It would certainly save me a lot of reconfiguring on stuff. I presume I would just connect the D7 to the Belong modems WAN port ?

USB is on the side.

Administrator
    Thanks

The NBN cabinets are usually installed next to existing Telstra cabinets/pillars.

I'm not aware on any NBN equipment being fitted into existing street cabinets.

Administrator
    Thanks

save yourself a drive.......

It doesn't tell me anything unfortunately, I had a look at it the other day.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The NBN cabinets are usually installed next to existing Telstra cabinets/pillars.

I'm not aware on any NBN equipment being fitted into existing street cabinets.
    The Tophat is the only cabinet I know of in here, having said that I haven't looked at it for a while so will check if anything new has happened there. Its not on my way in or out, so something may have happened there.

Thanks

It doesn't tell me anything unfortunately, I had a look at it the other day.
    enlarge it until you have your street and click on your address it will
    then show the line you cable is taking and the distance from the node/pillar
    and will give you a rough estimate of the speeds available.

Last edited by fandtm666; 05-12-17 at 04:44 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    With FTTN (and FTTC) if you have any parallel phone cabling in your home, it should be disconnected/isolated from the first socket connected to the lead-in, that the NBN modem needs to be plugged into.

The lead-in cable from the street should go directly to the socket the modem will be connected to.

There should be one socket on the modem for a phone handset to be connected.

If you require any other phone sockets to be working, that phone handset socket on the modem gets connected back to the rest of the existing phone cabling in the house.

If the lead-in cable doesn't currently terminate on the socket where the modem is to be plugged it, then cabling changes need to be performed so that it does.

It is possible for NBN to work when other sockets are still connected across the line (eg: not isolated from the lead-in) but doing so can severely slow the NBN data rate down.

Any devices plugged into parallel sockets across the lead-in socket will not function as they previously did... they must be connected to the output line connection on the modem.

If any other devices are across the lead-in (eg still parallel connected... answering machines, ADSL modem, extension ringer, additional handsets, etc) not only will those devices not work, but they can block the NBN signal from getting to the modem correctly.

Everyone blames NBN for speed issues (sometimes they are correct of course) however, incorrect premises cabling is the single most-common issue with NBN speed issues.

I see this almost on a daily basis.

Any of the the above premises cabling is the responsibility and cost of the owner/occupier.

NBN installers do not provide those additional cabling services.

Any licensed cabler can perform the work and it's best to have it done prior to the NBN connection.

That way, you know if there is any issue with the NBN connection to the modem, it is their problem.
    Just on this mtv, I am not keeping my phone and thats why the modem doesn't have a phone port. I use a VOIP number, anyone ringing my PTSN number ....it just rings out. So all I will be doing is plug an ATA in to one of the LAN ports.

So I am presuming my connection should be as simple as my mates with just some work in the street ?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    enlarge it until you have your street and click on your address it will
    then show the line you cable is taking and the distance from the node/pillar
    and will give you a rough estimate of the speeds available.

There is no information available for my premises, or even the entire estate. All Yellow dots - no speed estimation, no node information, no pillar information.

Administrator
    Thanks

There is no information available for my premises, or even the entire estate.
    Or suburb

There is no information even on my mates house who is connected.

Thanks

Here are some pics of the Belong Modem.

I was going to just use it to get up and running then buy a new modem, but just thinking.........can I plug my TP - Link Archer D7 in to it and use the Archer as a Router ? Or would that upset the apple cart ( I have read of port lock outs for unauthorised equipment).
    I am presuming it would be ok, as the Belong Modem is used as the modem ? It would certainly save me a lot of reconfiguring on stuff. I presume I would just connect the D7 to the Belong modems WAN port ?
    you can set the belong modem to bridge mode and then connect the night hawke to
    do all your routing but you will loose the vpn setup

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

admin (05-12-17)

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast