OK... you referred to "Running cable inside a roof cavity will need a licenced cabler" so yes, on that basis I did assume there was some element of that involved.

Yes, there are some restrictions in the rules/standard. Any hard-wired installation requires the installer to be a licensed cabler.

If for example, you connected some sensors (or cameras) with off-the-shelf pre-terminated cables and you attached those cables to a surface (wall, floor, ceiling, etc) they become, by definition, 'fixed'.

The same applies if you pass a cable through a wall, cabinet, frame, ceiling, wall, under carpet, etc... and part of it is concealed, then it too is considered by the rules to be 'fixed'.

In the case of a fully-wireless alarm... if it connects to, or may at any time in the future, connect to a telecommunication carrier's network (monitored alarm, dialler, etc) it is required to be installed by a licensed cabler, as there are still segregation distances within the rules that must be complied with... eg: mandatory separation distances from other services... power, gas, water, other cabling, etc.

I don't make, or enforce the rules... I'm just required to adhere to them.

Just giving you a heads-up on what's involved.

It's worth noting that insurance companies love to find ways out of paying claims and if there's a fire for example and investigators find an alarm system installed without a Telecommunications Cabling Advice signed off by a licensed installer, they 'may' consider it to be a contributing factor... especially if segregation requirements haven't been met.

It's no different to DIY electrical work in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMA
If you are an unregistered cabler who is not properly supervised or if the work you perform does not comply with the Wiring Rules you have committed a criminal offence and you could face an on-the-spot fine of $2,040. The fine can be up to $90,000 if court action is taken.

If it's a completely wireless system, not connected to, or not capable of connecting to a carrier's network and all components are mounted clear of all other services (including those which may be concealed, etc) then, it's probably fine.