Thread: Rebooting Altech UEC Vast TV

Thanks

Default Rebooting Altech UEC Vast TV

Hi all - hoping this is in the right spot.

I’ve been using my Altech TV for about 6 months on 12 volt with not too many issues. All of a sudden tonight when using it, it powered off then the green light came back on and it starting powering back up. It goes through its “loading vast” intro screen and then power goes off and it starts the whole process again. I’ve swapped the cords with my Altech Vast box in case it was a dodgy cord but made no difference. Any suggestions on what else it could be? Or I could try?

FB - Moseying around Australia

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Sounds like a power supply issue.

Check electro caps for bulging/leaking.

Thanks

All sorted. Dodgy cables. Thank you

FB - Moseying around Australia

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Thanks for the update but can you be a bit more specific as to what caused the problem?
    Is it in a Caravan ?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Also a bit confusing as you said you checked all the cables, swapping them over to another decoder and they worked fine.

Which cable turned out to be dodgy?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

That's extra weird. Normally when UEC boxes do this, it is usually at the point where they are about to pack up. I've had it before where UEC boxes do this once or twice, then work again, and then a few months down the line - bang, they just loop reboot and never come on again.

Hate to be pessimistic, but I think the cable swap is a false-positive/just a coincidence.

Like mtv said, check those capacitors on the PSU for bulging, this is a known thing even on other older UEC boxes here in South Africa (where they make the things).

I am not completely sure, but I think your guys' boxes are based on a model (or at least shared parts) we had here from about 2009-2012 for our MultiChoice DSTV platform. These specific ones went wrong with the symptoms you described, I had two and both gave in. When it starts displaying "bxx" or "bEx" or "80xx" something on the front with flashing colour lights or the like, it's pretty much nackered.

The capacitor that used to give us trouble here was C9 I think, but could be others.

What's weird is though, these symptoms may show the firmware is perhaps corrupted. If you find nothing wrong with the capacitors/PSU, maybe try and force an upgrade? Doing it is either by holding down a series of buttons on the front upon power up (check the manual) or by entering a USB-stick with the package on it (.uec file) in the slot and powering up (software used to be downloadable from uec.com.au last time I checked, but that was a while back ).

Oh yeah, and remember, opening the box to check the PSU voids the warranty.
    Last edited by irritant; 03-05-18 at 07:57 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

As the poster never replied, we can only conclude he has had no further problems with his UEC although as has been posted in the past, UEC are renown for 'Doing Dodgy Things' so there is still some time for the wheel to fall off the wagon.
    AdrianR, nothing would surprise me less to find these STB's are re-jigged rejects as this seems to what happens here with just about everything or if a new product, its sent here to trial it out and sort out any 'Bugs' because we're sort of 'Out of Sight, Out of Mind' to the World Markets.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (03-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Oh Gosh, didn't even notice the posting dates of this thread