Thread: Dual frequency Modem/Router, how to choose output frequency?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Dual frequency Modem/Router, how to choose output frequency?

Like every one and their dog today we have Modem/Routers operating on either 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz and when I got mine (Netgear) I just plugged it in and did the usual set up to connect to the computer etc on 2.4 Ghz.
    I am not sure if the desktop and the Galaxy Tablet can receive 5.8Ghz so I have never bothered to try.
    However I recently bought a new Laptop/desktop combo that can receive 5.8 Ghz so when I turned the laptop on the other day, it didnt connect to router but showed both frequencies as being available, I decided to connect to the 5.8Ghz instead so I click on it, got the box asking for the password (Mycatshagsrats069) that is shown on the label of the router but it said it was 'invalid'.
    This password of course worked when I chose the 2.4 Ghz.

I am as dumb as a dodo regarding modem/routers and have looked at its home page but only because I had to some time ago because of a problem and then I did what I was instructed to do and got out of it as quickly as possible.

Can these use both frequencies at the same time or do you have to select the 5.8Ghz yourself with the default being 2.4Ghz?

Note I have called it a Modem/Router because I find if I called it by one name and its actually the other, someone will make a big deal pointing out my error which usually doesnt help with the problem.
    Just to fill in the details, this Modem/Router is connected to an NBN SkyMuster Satellite Transmitter but it is designed for use on any form of cable service like ADSL etc.

PS, thats not the real password (mycatshagsrats069) but I rather like it and may use it later........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-12-17 at 12:20 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

not knowing what model modem-router you are talking about makes
    it a bit hard to give any advise.

BUT

If its anything like the ASUS i am using then you can enable or disable each
    individually and also set each to have different passwords etc.

Premium Member

Thanks

All this one has is Netgear28 on the case, about 18 months old now so I would assume it works similarly to your ASUS and most other brands I would think.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-12-17 at 03:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

I don't have a Netgear, i have a Linksys.
    My router has same password for both frequencies, yet it also has Guest access which is a different password.
    I can set a different password for the main access signals though.

You need to go into the router settings tabs & look what password is set for that frequency.

Since your PC can see the 5GHz signal I would expect that it is enabled, you just need to find the password.
    Last edited by Tiny; 09-12-17 at 04:51 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

here is some screen grabs of what it looks like in my router settings, this is what you need to establish for your router. It may look a bit different than mine but the information will be there.

Last edited by Tiny; 09-12-17 at 05:14 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks

As you said Tiny, mine is different but it appears both frequencies are turned on and available with a 'Guest Frequency' for both 2.4 and 5.8 Gkz available but there is a red X on the top corner of each box so no idea if that means available or needs to be activated.

There is a list of regions/countries and this is shown as Europe for some reason so I left it alone as its working.

Netgear D6400
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-12-17 at 06:12 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I'd guess that the red x means disabled, so you just go into the router settings & turn it on if that is what you want.
    It's your router, just configure it to do what you want. To easy.

If it's above your level of anxiety, then get a friend or family member with some ability to help you. If it was the same as mine I could talk you thru it on the phone in a few minutes. I do this for my friends & family & it works well.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the offer Tiny but its not of great concern as everything is working and I am a great believer of leaving whats working alone !!!
    Things change technically and I dont have access to an old school mate now due to his moving away and ill health who I leaned on to explain everything to me.

I gather this 'Guest' option is to allow 'someone' else access to the Internet but I can disconnect them easily without having to change any of my settings.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-12-17 at 11:49 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yes the Guest access allows internet access only.
    No access to files or info from other PC's on the Network.
    That's why it has a different wireless access point & password to your regular Network access.
    It can be turned on or off via the Router settings, you can edit the password as well if you need.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (14-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    However I recently bought a new Laptop/desktop combo that can receive 5.8 Ghz so when I turned the laptop on the other day, it didnt connect to router but showed both frequencies as being available, I decided to connect to the 5.8Ghz instead so I click on it, got the box asking for the password (Mycatshagsrats069) that is shown on the label of the router but it said it was 'invalid'.
    This password of course worked when I chose the 2.4 Ghz. ...........
    Network stuff isn't really my strong suit but devices have factory default User Names and Password, or just a user name with blank pass. I think Netgear stuff is "admin" and "password" so try that for the 5.8 setup. If that doesn't work try admin and blank pass or 1234 or 0000 or 1212.

If you did set 5.8 up in the past but have forgotten the pass then resetting will take it back to factory defaults which is a bugger 'cos it means having to set up 2.4 from scratch again too. Usually there's a reset hole where you push a paperclip or small precision screwdriver into and hold for up to 10 seconds or something.
    Last edited by Surething; 12-12-17 at 08:20 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats correct Surething but it wasnt the User/Password or the registration code except there is only one shown on the case and in the home page so thats why I was curious, I get like this at times and ask silly questions.
    Late thanks to Tiny again and you too Surefire.
    I know its not 'Rocket science' but to me its delving into areas I normally stay well clear of.