Thread: Victorian feed-in tariff may skyrocket to 29c from July 1 2018

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Victorian feed-in tariff may skyrocket to 29c from July 1 2018

The Essential Services Commission has made a draft decision to alter the minimum Victorian feed-in tariff (FiT) rates from July 1, 2018.

Solar customers could get as much as 29 c/kWh at peak times of the week if the new rates are applied.

Two FiTs will be set: time-varying and single rates. Under the new draft rules, electricity retailers will need to offer at least one of these to their Victorian customers.

FiTs apply to customers that have installed renewable energy systems such as rooftop solar. These customers can receive a payment or reduction in their bills for any electricity they feed back into the main grid from their system. They do so by entering into a contract with a retailer.

FiTs serve several purposes. They encourage both the uptake of renewable energy systems and greater efficiency in energy use. They also promote diversification of electricity production and may assist Australia in meeting its climate goals.

Electricity consumption from the grid varies at different times of the day, as does energy production from solar. For example, a customer who has installed a solar power system is likely to be drawing more electricity from the grid after dark than at noon on a sunny day. They are therefore more likely to export or feed electricity back to the grid during the day.

However the peak hours for energy consumption are late in the afternoon / early evening as people arrive home from work and school, are cooking, using entertainment devices and climate control in their homes.

The first Victorian feed-in tariff option, time-varying rates, reflects the underlying value of electricity based on the wholesale market. According to the Commission, these can vary every half-hour of the day.

The rate offered to customers in Victoria under a time-varying scheme is naturally going to be higher at peak time than at other times. The rates will be set as follows:

Off-peak – 7.2 cents per kWh (c/kWh). Times: 10pm to 7am on weekdays and weekends.
    Shoulder – 10.3 c/kWh. Times: 7am-3pm and 9pm-10pm weekdays, and 7am-10pm weekends.
    Peak – 29 c/kWh. Times: 3pm-9pm weekdays only.

The second FiT option is a single-rate minimum of 9.9 c/kWh, which will not vary throughout the 24-hour period. This price has been weighted in line with typical export rates at various times of the day known as the solar export profile.

The choice of peak hour means that people who have Western facing roofs will find solar is now an even more attractive proposition. The peak hours for the high FiT are from 3pm to late, when the sun is in the West. Many people who already have solar now have a reason to upgrade to more efficient panels on a part of their roof they hadn’t considered before.

The Commission says the decision will allow customers to choose between retailers depending on the type of FiT retailers offer.

In addition, time variations are very difficult to measure without a smart metering system. Customers who have old meters may still be able to benefit from FiTs under a single-rate plan.

The Commission will be accepting submissions in response to its decision until January 29, 2018.

Source :

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Whats the bet it doesnt happen.

29 cents a kWh would be nice though, particularly over summer when I am exporting up until 9pm. So that's 6 hours of export per day @29 cents with an 8kw system.....

I don't know what drugs they are on with the second option, which is lower than the current standard FIT, or the off peak option.....who generates solar between 10pm and 7am ?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The off peak tariff is for the pollies who sit on their roofs all night, remember, they all think the sun shines out of their respective.......well, you get the picture.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Off-peak – 7.2 cents per kWh (c/kWh). Times: 10pm to 7am on weekdays and weekends.

10pm to 7am......whats the point.....moonshine???
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I was totally amazed to read that most people draw more power from the Grid after 7pm than they do at Midday !!!!

Electricity consumption from the grid varies at different times of the day, as does energy production from solar. For example, a customer who has installed a solar power system is likely to be drawing more electricity from the grid after dark than at noon on a sunny day. They are therefore more likely to export or feed electricity back to the grid during the day.
    I have been curious about roof direction as my house has the ridge running from North to South giving me one side facing East and the other West and I wondered how mounting a panel on each side would compare to one facing Due north?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Reading other posts, they were talking battery backup and that 29 cents at peak would subsidize the investment of a battery, but 8kw of panels is looking a good investment in day light saving hours
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"