Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Setup Questions

Thanks

Default Home Setup Questions

Hi Guys,
    So am in the early stages of planning a new setup for our home. Been doing alot of reading and as i figure out one question i have and think i know which way i plan on going i find new ideas and new questions, so thought id chuck up my plans so far and get some feed back on the couple options im looking at and see what everyone thought.
    Some things i kind of know what i want and others im still unsure of.
    My overall end goals are to have CCTV to cover the exterior of the house (as i work fifo) that is accessable via phone apps and reasonable cover time if the power goes out, i want to have wifi with nil dead spots, and have two TV's and possibility of amp directly connected to LAN cables with room for possible expansion down the track.

I plan on getting a Hikvision CCTV setup done mid next year, looking at 6 or so cameras run on PoE back to a 8 port NVR, this bit im pretty sure im happy with. I plan on having the NVR installed into a secured server box, looking at having my modem/router in the same location as the NVR and possibly looking at having a UPS in the same location to give back up power to the modem and NVR (hoping for approx 1hr run time) although the UPS is still a plan and not sure on a few points with this.

I currently have optus adsl but apparently will have nbn installed where we live in the next 6+ months (at the most current plan lol) and have the standard wifi modem/router that came with the internet plan. Its real average with coverage so plan on replacing that in the near future. This i guess is where my first main question comes into it. Ive been looking at a few options now and am not sure.

Modem/Router - i want something that im not going to need to replace in 12 months time once nbn becomes available. Ive been looking at a couple options so far and am interested to get some feedback on any/all of them. Im not sure whether to go with a shit hot unit with supposably good wifi coverage or go down the path of a basic modem and connect that to a multi port gigabit switch.
    Ive been looking at either TP-Link AC2800, ASUS DSL-AC3100, ASUS DSL-AC68U and also looked at a couple Netgear units but after reading some info that some models dont support FTTN Annex B i am not sure on them as we currently use Optus and they are noted as using that configuration.
    My other thought was to just go down the path of a cheap modem/router turn the wifi off of that and then have something like a Ubiquiti Unifi Pro or Long range Access point placed in the house to give full wifi coverage.

Once i sort of figure the modem part out then i will have a better idea of which direction ill go next. As i want to have the 2 current Smart TV's hardwired in via LAN, the NVR will also require a port from the router as well so i am leaning towards also getting a network switch and running the TV's and possible other outlets back through the switch and into the router which would leave additional ports for future expansion for the remaining kids rooms as they grow up.

I hope this all makes sense, look forward to any and all feedback and suggestions as i sometimes think im just going round in circles and overcomplicating things

Cheers Nate

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i have the DSL-AC68U and works great on nbn fttn with ABB
    i get 85 down 35 up at 320-350 meters from the node.

From there everything in the house is hard wired via tplink
    managed Gigabit Ethernet Switch's which are also great units.

As for the wireless i find it very good with reception on the tablets
    and mobile phones etc whether i am inside the house or out in the yard.

One consideration you have to look at before selecting your modem is the
    distance from the node because asus use mediateck chips and are a little slower than
    broadcom chips which work better at longer distances.

You mentioned that you want cctv the tplink switch's also
    come with POE built in

As for Annex B why ???? Australian FTTN uses Annex A

Modulation: VDSL2
    G993.2 Annex: Annex B (Europe Bandplans)
    G992.5 Annex: Annex A (over POTS)
    VDSL2 Profiles: 17a
    VDSL2 PVC VPI/VCI: Auto or PTM
    G.INP / G.998.4: Enabled (not enabling G.INP will result in a locked port)
    G.Vector / G.993.5: Enabled
    SRA (Seamless Rate Adaptation): Enabled

Also if you go the asus way you must make sure that

G.INP (G.998.4) and G.vector (G.993.5) are enabled before plugging into the phone socket
    or you will get a port lock so make sure you do the setup before connecting to the phone line.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 22-12-17 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks

Cheers!
    well ill do some research on finding the distance from the node and see what i can find out, out of curiosity is that something that can be found prior to nbn installed or after only?

As for the Annex B comment, tbh i am not 100% sure on all of that and what i means. i had been searching online and reviewing different products and one site i came across mentioned that although no other site had so that just made me a bit curious.

Thanks

try here for distance from the node , just keep scrolling in
    till you find your place then click on the dot and it will tell
    you type of connection and distance to the pillar and the node
    will be very close to it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Annex A is generally what we use as fandtm666 mentioned.

I also have the same Asus as him, I have only had it less than a week but am happy with it and wireless range is good. I have a long house and no problem reaching all of it.

I would be confirming exactly what type of NBN you are getting first.

I built new 10 years ago and am glad I bothered to cable it, though wifi is a lot better these days.

Thanks

just had a look at the link, and currently it shows as nil information available, although other areas of town are showing the FTTC 100Mbps but i guess there is no guarentee on that too
    Last edited by Nate_87; 22-12-17 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks

Lightbulb Ubiquiti Setup Thoughts

Hey Guys,
    So continuing with my plans of my setup so am curious to get ideas of where I’m heading. I plan on getting hold of a new router/modem which will prob be an Asus DSL-AC68U.
    I plan on ceiling mounting 2 AC AP Lites towards either end of our house to give full WiFi coverage of our property, will run them off the ubiquiti 8-60w switch as I don’t think the full 8-150w will be needed as the couple TVs in the house don’t need the PoE when wired into the switch. I think the cloud key maybe useful but am unsure of the need of the ubiquiti security gateway?
    Do you have any thoughts on it all? Would love some feedback

Thanks

There’s a lot of great advice on the ubnt forums. I’d try using a single wireless AP - the ubiquiti wireless gear “gets out” quite well and you probably won’t need two. I have a single AP and have WiFi coverage right through the house and quite some distance from the house outside.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Nate_87 (24-12-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Nate_87,

There's no need to start a new thread when you wish to update/continue on with the same subject.

It's much easier to follow a single thread, rather than have to look for posts scattered across different threads.

I've merged the two threads into this one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Nate_87 (24-12-17)

Thanks

Too easy mate, thanks!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Aw years ago it was considered a necessity to install co-ax everywhere as a carrier medium, then it was CAT6 with all its hubs and connections and God Knows what, then WiFi reared its ugly head with its quick install and no cabling.

Security Cameras, where to mount and power.
    I bought a set of 4 Wifi cameras thinking how great was this until it dawned on me that although the cameras can be mounted almost anywhere, I still have to run a 240V line within 1.5 metres of a camera, DUUUUHHHH.
    The option of course is to cut the power lead (5V) between the plug pack and the camera and add in an extension but power must still reach the camera.
    Two spots I would like to use have no power of any sort within 15 metres and to even run a 5V line will need care.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 24-12-17 at 03:37 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Gordon,

The OP has started a thread in the CCTV section to discuss that aspect.

Even in his post here he has stated he is "looking at 6 or so cameras run on PoE back to a 8 port NVR" so he does not have any need for mains power or plugpacks to power the cameras.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Aw years ago it was considered a necessity to install co-ax everywhere as a carrier medium, then it was CAT6 with all its hubs and connections and God Knows what, then WiFi reared its ugly head with its quick install and no cabling.

Security Cameras, where to mount and power.
    I bought a set of 4 Wifi cameras thinking how great was this until it dawned on me that although the cameras can be mounted almost anywhere, I still have to run a 240V line within 1.5 metres of a camera, DUUUUHHHH.
    The option of course is to cut the power lead (5V) between the plug pack and the camera and add in an extension but power must still reach the camera.
    Two spots I would like to use have no power of any sort within 15 metres and to even run a 5V line will need care.
    Yea thats the biggest bonus of the PoE system that im looking at as there is no need for extra power points or cabling as its all in one cable run from the powered switch.

Premium Member

Thanks

BUT, remember you still have to run cable to that location so trace the route from one end to the other to minimize how much cable is used, is there any where it could be difficult to access if its been damaged etc.
    Back when installing a satellite dishes was the 'In Thing', one member spoke of trenching through his yard from the house to the dish to lay the cable and later laying a concrete path and then wanting to either add or repair the in place cable, this meant he had to dig up the concrete, of course every body was wise 'After the event' to suggest he should have laid the cable in some conduit where it passed under the pathway.
    Of course covering cable does add an extra layer of protection to it no matter where it is.
    Birds and rodents love cables and I am sure those members who do this as a living will confirm this and about placing cables in, under and behind areas.....
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Fair point to give some decent thought to. Appreciate it

Premium Member

Thanks

Old lazy arse adage is its better to have 10 minutes on Concentration than hours of dirty dusty perspiration......

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

ALWAYS lay cable in conduit! Too many times have mechanical cable locators "found" a cable that, then, needs to be repaired.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Nate_87 (29-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    ALWAYS lay cable in conduit! Too many times have mechanical cable locators "found" a cable that, then, needs to be repaired.
    Yea I’ve been looking at that as well. Out of curiosity is it better to have individual cables in conduit or run a couple per piece? 32mm is the largest I can see but am unsure which way would be better or what could fit

Administrator
    Thanks

You can run multiple cables (of the same type.. can't mix power & data etc) in the same conduit.

Best to leave some space and I always add a draw wire (poly rope) in case I need to pull any more through later.

20mm - 25mm is generally adequate for 1 or a few Cat6 cables, but you can go much larger than 32mm if needed.

Any exposed data cables run externally need to be UV rated and any underground data cables need to be of the flooded type, regardless if they are in a conduit or not.... also if direct buried (no conduit) the jacket must be of a type designed for direct burial.

All data cabling is required to be installed by a licensed/registered cabler.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Nate_87 (29-12-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks MTV, I forgot to include one of the most crucial parts of laying cables in any form of channel is to include a draw string.
    What I have done is run a double length of cord (synthetic preferred) to form an 'endless loop' and tied on each end is 'something' too big to be pulled through accidentally.
    I know it might sound like 'overkill' and a lot of mucking about but having that cord still in place made adding another cable a breeze.
    Here's a tip for running a drawstring in long conduit runs, I ran over 100 metres of RG6 Quad shield through various lengths of that plastic tube used for water drip feeds by making a 'ball' out of cotton wool and with the cord attached, and using a vacuum cleaner, SUCKED it through !!
    The hose was about 13mm inside diameter and had to be laid straight and the cord also, it help considerably with another at the feed end to ensure the cord ran freely.
    Once I got the cord through one section of maybe 10 metres, I pulled the coax through.
    Today its hung between the antenna, through some trees, into the channels of a colourbond fence to the house and then to the TV.
    Took me a few days and some swearing but I had nothing better to do and I wanted to do it that way and I am pleased I did it and with the result.

PS, I read a story about Cable layers using a Pussy Cat wearing a collar with a cord attached to run through 'channels' but unfortunately I didnt have a 10 mm sized Pussy cat so I used the old 'Suck it to me' method with a vacuum clean.
    I had to buy a new Vac afterwards, it just wouldnt suck after I was finished.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-12-17 at 01:48 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Nate_87 (06-01-18)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast