Thread: drone override?

Thanks

Default drone override?

So call me grinch.
    But someone has a Drone and is constantly hovering over my and the neighbours house.
    Shy of shooting it which is the next step. Is there a way to override the controls so it can simply land.

Also not having played with them is there a visual (red light type thing) that states it is recording?

Either way it wont be hovering over my house much longer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:

Keith (25-12-17)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Politely inform your neighbour of the rules or call the Police, it's actually illegal to be flying over your house or any populated area or within 30metres of people or dwellings.
    Unfortunately people get or give these things as presents but no one informs them of the rules.

Edit: regards the recording, you won't be able to tell from where you are if it is recording video of you.
    & I doubt you would have anything capable of making it land other than shooting it down.

CASA rules for UAV
    Last edited by Tiny; 25-12-17 at 10:21 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

You would need to bombard it with a rf signal the same as it's operating frequency or a small lead ball will do the same.

Most are then programed to land if that happens you may get a drone or a visit from the owner.

Report it to CASA.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Politely inform your neighbour of the rules or call the Police, it's actually illegal to be flying over your house or any populated area or within 30metres of people or dwellings.
    He needs to know who is operating the drone.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    He needs to know who is operating the drone.
    stand outside & watch where it lands, flight time isn't that long on most of these UAV/RPA/drones.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I am sure the owner would come looking for it when it fell out of the sky.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Lead works well in overriding all sorts of things.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There many posting of attempts to make devises that blast a variety of RF frequencies at a drone to disable them.
    Be aware there are models that can be programmed to fly from Point to point using GPS co-ordinates without an operator controlling it during the flight so any jamming device would have to cover the usual WiFi frequencies (2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz) as well as those from the GPS satellites.
    The last lot of such jammers I saw looked like a Buck Rogers Ray Gun.
    Range is another problem too for the Jammer as it didnt seem to be be overly effective beyond 50 metres.
    In using a jammer, you too could be now breaking the Law by Broadcasting on unauthorised Frequencies plus what ever power output the transmitter has and if it is causing any interference to authorised services.

There have been reports of Drones being used to overfly Prisons to drop 'Contraband' for recovery by the inmates during any exercise periods.
    You can bet that if this has happened once, then multiply that by 10 at least so the Prisons etc would be well into trying all sorts of methods to block them.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-12-17 at 12:33 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Unfortunately people get or give these things as presents but no one informs them of the rules.

Edit: regards the recording, you won't be able to tell from where you are if it is recording video of you.
    & I doubt you would have anything capable of making it land other than shooting it down.

CASA rules for UAV
    Those rules do not mention 30m from buildings just people.
    I did read somewhere a long time ago minimum 30m from buildings and vehicles but I can't find it on that link.

Anyhow if the drone is flying higher than 30m(but lower than 120m) and not directly above people then that neighbour is not breaking the law.
    A blinking red light is NOT an indication of recording video but position and status lights. There are 4 or 6 and some are also green or yellow(even other colors but normally not all the same red unless somethong is wrong with it). If you can only see one light then it is likely flying so high to see them individually and then most likely above the 30m limit.

Radio jamming however is a serious crime that can put you in jail.
    Also if you interfere with an autonomously controlled aerial vehicle that then causes a collision you would be most likely liable for any damage it would cause, including personal injury.

If you shoot it right into the Lithium battery that then bursts into flames and onto somebody's flammable property or head you will be the one dragged to court.

Many modern hobby drones are GPS assited, have anticollision contol and have No Fly zones programmed. In fact the motors of my drone won't even start until the firmware that contains that data is updated.

I strongly suggest to try to locate the neihbour and have a friendly conversation and maybe you might find that they are doing nothing malicious, just having fun with their hobby.
    However if they don't respect that you feel uncomfortable with their drone right above your property while you are outside(you can mention the CASA rule of not flying directly above people) then make a video of the drone above you next time and call the police.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-12-17 at 04:57 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Tiny (26-12-17),tristen (26-12-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Those are the base rules that I linked to, my post was from my understanding of the rules, laws that effect everyone not just UAV operators & etiquette.
    Inside dwellings, we have to assume first, there are people inside or nearby, logical deduction; that's the 30m, then there is the fact you are flying over private land without permission.
    If you have permission you may be able to fly there depending on whether your UAV is over 2kg; then you will still need a commercial UAV pilots licence & permission.

Also you can't just assume that you can fly over any vacant land (never mind inhabited with a dwelling); I ask permission from my local farmers before I fly over their land, it's their air space below 120m & aviation airspace above that.
    Thanks to me being upfront about it, I get to fly over some impressive places on the promise of not disturbing their animals/stock.

Here's what you are needing to know.
    Dirty Dozen: 12 ways your drone can land you in trouble

4. Flying over land without permission

There are certain places where you shouldn’t fly your drone without first gaining the permission from the relevant authority.
    These places include private property, secure or sensitive areas such as prisons, military bases, schools, council land and notable landmarks, where flying your drone could even gain you the unwanted attention of local law enforcement.
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-12-17 at 06:34 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Those are the base rules that I linked to, my post was from my understanding of the rules, laws that effect everyone not just UAV operators & etiquette.
    Inside dwellings, we have to assume first, there are people inside or nearby, logical deduction; that's the 30m, then there is the fact you are flying over private land without permission.
    Unfortunately there is no requirement to seek permission before flying a drone over private land/property in Australia, and no law that restricts a person from doing so. Recording on an attached camera may breach laws, but not simply flying the drone over private property.

The actual laws (well, directions under the Regulations) relating to drones in plain English are listed on the CASA website, the actual directions can be viewed here -

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Dirty Dozen: 12 ways your drone can land you in trouble

4. Flying over land without permission

There are certain places where you shouldn’t fly your drone without first gaining the permission from the relevant authority.
    These places include private property, secure or sensitive areas such as prisons, military bases, schools, council land and notable landmarks, where flying your drone could even gain you the unwanted attention of local law enforcement.
    Neither the goverment CASA website nor the downloaded bochure that your site links to, mention that you are required to get everyone's permission to fly over private property, which includes built up areas.
    While it makes sense to ask for permission to fly around over large private properties, farms, etc where you will be there for a longer time period, it is simply not practical to ask the owner of every 400sqm block of a suburb or town that you potentially might be technically flying over when you are flying 50km/h @100m altitude.

So if you can't fly over any privately built up spaces, or council land (which parks, sport fields and beaches generally are) or even over you own property because you might breach the border of your neihbours, where can you practically fly if you don't know anybody with a farm... ?

Personally I try to fly when there is absolutely nobody around because I don't generally don't like spectators and when it is 100m high, nobody sees or hears it anyhow.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-12-17 at 09:59 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Neither the goverment CASA website nor the downloaded bochure that your site links to, mention that you are required to get everyone's permission to fly over private property, which includes built up areas.
    While it makes sense to ask for permission to fly around over large private properties, farms, etc where you will be there for a longer time period, it is simply not practical to ask the owner of every 400sqm block of a suburb or town that you potentially might be technically flying over when you are flying 50km/h @100m altitude.

So if you can't fly over any privately built up spaces, or council land (which parks, sport fields and beaches generally are) or even over you own property because you might breach the border of your neihbours, where can you practically fly if you don't know anybody with a farm... ?

Personally I try to fly when there is absolutely nobody around because I don't generally don't like spectators and when it is 100m high, nobody sees or hears it anyhow.
    There are parks & sports fields that allow UAV flying & easily found by contacting the local Flying Club.
    I'm glad I don't have to do that as I did when flying fixed wing aircraft in Sydney in the '70s, had to drive an hour to go flying.

Lucky for me I can fly at home when I want as I live on 50 acres, so I don't go near my neighbours property. I also have 2 very large cattle properties 5 mins down the road that I have permission to fly at.

Good luck flying over suburban areas, going to be interesting when some of your neighbours start flying as well. You're going to need flight plans. lol.
    BTW; I still think that you are technically flying over people when in a suburban area, whether you can see them or not.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Good luck flying over suburban areas, going to be interesting when some of your neighbours start flying as well. You're going to need flight plans. lol.
    Two of my direct neighbours are friendly and don't mind and one of them now has a better drone than me
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-12-17 at 09:36 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Possibly in many cases this may just 'go away' eventually when the owner finds they have neither the time or the weather isnt right along with doing maintenance/repairs which take time and money to fly and it gets put away for 'Ron'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Ask and ye shall get.................
    This isnt the article I saw in today's (Tues 02/01/18) Sydney Daily Telegraph on page 38 but never the less its appears to be about the same.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (02-01-18),Tiny (03-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    So call me grinch.
    But someone has a Drone and is constantly hovering over my and the neighbours house.
    Shy of shooting it which is the next step. Is there a way to override the controls so it can simply land.

Also not having played with them is there a visual (red light type thing) that states it is recording?

Either way it wont be hovering over my house much longer.
    I don't blame you for being pissed off mate. But shooting it will only get you in to trouble.

I would try and find out who owns it and advise them to knock it off. If they do it again, wait till it lands then jump up and down on it till its smashed to pieces then hand it back to them along with "I warned you".

I have found that some people only understand things if they are explained in direct terms.

Premium Member

Thanks

I certainly wasnt aware until I read the news article nor saw MTV's post just how far advanced they were in jamming Drones nor they could now detect a drone over half a Kiiometre away, something I think is even more essential than being able to disable them.