Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best satellite to aim for in Perth

Thanks

Default Best satellite to aim for in Perth

Hi, I live in Perth, Western Australia and use a little dish left by a no-longer-used Foxtel installation to pick up
    the Optus D2 satellite, from where I watch the BVN channel (I was born in Holland, so I'm glad that is there).
    In order to do that, I looked up the info on LyngSat, bought a little signal strength beeper to reposition the dish,
    and the receiver I use is an Strong SRT 4664 X11, the whole thing cost me less than 100 bucks

So far, so good... now the next thing i would like to make work is a larger dish, fixed, and aimed at wherever
    I can get the better signal with hopefully the FTA versions of BBC, NHK, and maybe French and German stations
    broadcasting in English.
    In order to set simultaneous record on my old Panasonic PVR (a DMR-XW390), a second satellite receiver would be
    a good thing, I guess maybe another brand than the Strong, so the different remotes don't effect eachother.

Anyone on here who can help me find the best (up to 2.4m) dish and suggest what I should be pointing it at?
    Does a limit of 2.4m even get me there, and what would be the best value receiver?

This is the info I could find so far (some of it could be superseded, that is why I am asking )

NORTH-EAST:
    Asiasat 5 100.5 E: DW Deutsch, TV5 Monde Style HD, TV5 Monde Asia, BBC World Service
    Asiasat 7 105.5 E: DW Global,TV5 Monde Asia, Aljazeera English, NHK World TV, VOA TV

NORTH-WEST:
    Intelsat 19 166 E : Radio New Zealand International, BBC World News, BBC World Service, NHK World TV, MTV China, MTV Classic Australia,
    NBC TV (Viaccess, Panaccess, Powervu+), 360 Tunebox, NBC TV
    on KU : France 24 English, Rai World premium
    Intelsat 18 180 E : Radio Australia , AFN (American Forces Network), lots of French TV
    Last edited by Rik van der Velde; 28-12-17 at 02:54 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Welcome to the world of C-Band.. A fixed EL/AZ mount type 2.3m dish on Asiasat 7 would be an easy install. For more satellites you'd need a Polar Mount 2.3m dish. The setup to make it track from Horizon to Horizon can be challenging for a first timer. Access Antenna or Siteq are a few suppliers in your neck of the woods.

Thanks

thank you B52, if it's going to be a fixed 2.3m dish, is the content and reception in Perth of Asiasat 7 better than Asiasat 5?

....anybody having much luck with Intelsat 19 reception in Perth? Does it work with anything smaller than 2.3m?

Thanks

Most satellites are well received on a 2.3m subject to obstruction free line of sight to the satellite. You should consult and for the best satellite programming you should visit..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rik van der Velde View Post
    thank you B52, if it's going to be a fixed 2.3m dish, is the content and reception in Perth of Asiasat 7 better than Asiasat 5?

....anybody having much luck with Intelsat 19 reception in Perth? Does it work with anything smaller than 2.3m?
    Is 19 needs a 3 metre dish to be stable (especially the powerVu Channels)You will also need a powerVu Autoroll receiver, and with a 2.3 you wont get all the transponders on As7 .
    If your budget allows try for a 3 metre. Sciteq in Wangara would be my choice for buying a dish.
    Last edited by carjackma; 28-12-17 at 10:25 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

+1 for carjackma's advice.

I also recommend Sciteq for supply of satellite equipment.

I have dealt with them for many years. They are knowledgeable, honest and reliable.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If you're going to that extent... it's better to go for a motorised dish to increase your viewing options.

Thanks

thank you carjackma, mtv, tristen and B52... some remaining questions:

- will I find English language programmes (news etc. just guessing) by French German and Japanese broadcasters without them being encrypted?

- and would a solid 2.3m dish work as well as a 3m mesh one?

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

by French German and Japanese broadcasters without them being encrypted?

- and would a solid 2.3m dish work as well as a 3m mesh one?
    I would say so. I have a Offset 1.8 solid CBand dish and has the same gain if not better than my mesh 2.3M

I started with one dish in 1985 yes 1985 and now I have 9 off them in all sizes. To get France (france 24) and German in German ( DW ) you can get that on Asiasat 5 but to get Japanese NHK in HD you will have to go Intelsat 19.
    I would advise you to get a 2.3M Mesh dish to start with that has a polar mount with a actuator and steer you dish between 91.5 to 166 deg East.
    Now you can get a Cheap powervu box that auto rolls and you will have plenty to watch

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

Rik van der Velde (29-12-17)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

It seems to be more jumping ship from Asiasat 5 to Asiasat 7 lately. More NEW activity on Asiasat 7
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 29-12-17 at 10:08 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Not sure on content, but a 2.3m solid has comparable performance to a 3.0m mesh on C-band... but with a lot more wind loading.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all for the responses, much appreciated!

Another question (hope that is ok) : are BBC World News Asia Pacific and NHK World TV
    both un-encrypted on Intelsat 19 166 E, as this seems to suggest?

And is DW Global also un-encrypted on AsiaSat 7 as seems to say?

Where I live there is a narrow gap around 166 degrees East, where Intelsat 19 hangs out, and another gap towards the Asiasat7 (105.5E),
    but a building blocking the rest of the horizon...

For that reason I may not go motorized; got very little room, should I attempt 1.8m solid dish pointing toward Intelsat19, or would that really be a waste of time in Perth?

oops... just noticed the English speaking French are on !
    Last edited by Rik van der Velde; 30-12-17 at 11:28 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

As carjackma mentioned in post #5, you may need a 3m (mesh) dish for stable C-band reception in Perth from IS19.

carjackma is also in Perth, and you can't beat local knowledge and experience.

An alternative would be a 2.3m solid dish, as previously mentioned.

A 1.8m solid has comparable performance to a 2.3m mesh dish, so based on carjackma's comments, it would be insufficient for IS19.

With regard to possible blocked signal paths, if you haven't already done so, put your location into and move the marker around to give you an indication of approximate dish alignment for various satellites.

Strong reflected signals, even those out-of-band can also be a concern where large buildings are close to a signal path.

Solid dishes generally have a narrower beamwidth compared to mesh dishes which helps reduce incidence of interference pickup.

Rik van der Velde (30-12-17)

Thanks

I,m not sure if your strong receiver can do DVB S2 as a lot of the services are in DVB
    S2.
    Last edited by dryfry; 31-12-17 at 04:51 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dryfry For This Useful Post:

Rik van der Velde (31-12-17)

Thanks

I like how this forum is very much alive, while the world out there gives me the impression that
    scanning the sky for TV is losing out to the internet....

So far I've learned that a 2.3m solid or 3m mesh would be the minimum sizes for Intelsat19 on 166E in Perth.

I learned solid dishes suffer more wind loading, but are more efficient and may pick up less reflections.

Also learned that and are very useful
    websites , and is a good supplier of satellity stuff in Perth

I may need a powerVu Autoroll receiver that does DVB-S2, any suggestions for a good value model btw?

No responses so far if the stations listed below are indeed un-encrypted with no other tricks; the reason
    I ask here, is because I am guessing the people here may be more up to date than a lonely internet list,
    which sometimes may not quite up to scratch with the latest facts

100.5 E Asiasat 5: BBC World Service - is all you need a receiver that does DVB-S2?
    105.5 E Asiasat 7: TV5 Monde Asia, DW English, VoA
    166 E Intelsat 19: BBC World Service
    166 E Intelsat 19: KU band (!) France 24 English
    180 E Intelsat 18: Radio Australia English, AFN, and more French stuff on KU band as well

btw are MPEG-4 and Powervu encryptions, or just things your receiver needs to be capable of?

Would Intelsat 18 be also do-able from Perth with a 2.3m solid dish?

***thank you so much for reading through all this!
    Last edited by Rik van der Velde; 31-12-17 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks

100.5 E Asiasat 5: BBC World Service - is all you need a receiver that does DVB-S2?
    105.5 E Asiasat 7: TV5 Monde Asia, DW English, VoA
    166 E Intelsat 19: BBC World Service
    166 E Intelsat 19: KU band (!) France 24 English
    180 E Intelsat 18: Radio Australia English, AFN, and more French stuff on KU band as well
    This website.. >> provides all the satellite transponders information of our region... Note the Colour codes chart on the bottom of the page.

Administrator
    Thanks

btw are MPEG-4 and Powervu encryptions, or just things your receiver needs to be capable of?
    MPEG-4 is a video encoding/compression method which many FTA satellite and terrestrial transmissions use.

MPEG-4 is not a form of encryption, but is often used in conjunction with encryption.

Yes, you will need a receiver capable of decoding MPEG-4 DVB-S2 if you wish to watch those channels.

The Strong SRT 4664 will only decode MPEG-2 DVB-S. It will not decode MPEG-4 or DVB-S2 signals.

Powervu is a form of encryption.

IS18 is receivable in Perth, but it is very low above the horizon... around 13°.

Once again, check 'visibility' at your location with dishpointer.com.

Thanks

I like how this forum is very much alive, while the world out there gives me the impression that
    scanning the sky for TV is losing out to the internet....

So far I've learned that a 2.3m solid or 3m mesh would be the minimum sizes for Intelsat19 on 166E in Perth.

I learned solid dishes suffer more wind loading, but are more efficient and may pick up less reflections.

Also learned that and are very useful
    websites , and is a good supplier of satellity stuff in Perth

I may need a powerVu Autoroll receiver that does DVB-S2, any suggestions for a good value model btw?

Skybox A1+ ,Kepnix Nano or freesat V7 V8 etc for cheap entry level receiver . A 2.3 solid should do it if you have unobstructed view of the satellite.

Would Intelsat 18 be also do-able from Perth with a 2.3m solid dish?

***thank you so much for reading through all this!

Skybox A1+ ,Kepnix Nano or freesat V7 V8 etc for cheap entry level receiver . A 2.3 solid should do it if you have unobstructed view of the satellite.

• The Following User Says Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carjackma View Post
    Skybox A1+ ,Kepnix Nano or freesat V7 V8 etc for cheap entry level receiver
    Skybox A1 are cheap and work well for power vu but they get zapped easy on storms. I have the best in protection over 2400 joules in one room for A tv a plus Blu ray player + the Skybox and I have lost three in the last 14 months. The boxes have firmware corruption.

Thanks

Thank you B52, mtv, carjackma & Mr 672A!

According to website, as well as Intelsat 19, 166E, has BBC World News Asia Pacific at 3900 and 3940, MPEG-4/HD2 with PowerVu and also PowerVu+

Now I understand PowerVu was a way of encryption, but am I right to assume that little receiver, the FreeSat V8 Golden Box (dirt cheap by the way),

would make anything with "PowerVu" visible without further trickery? How about the AFN stuff on ?

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast