Thread: Dunkirk (2017)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Dunkirk (2017)

I finally got around to watching this the other night. I don't watch many movies anymore as 90% are shit or remakes, so I had some high hopes for this one.

Overall, it was average. It was devoid of any feeling or character, and for a military operation that moved over 300,000 men it looked like there was about 100 there. They could have at least used CGI to add troops in.

Speaking of CGI, some of the scenes with the planes were so bad they were laughable. It honestly looked like they were using technology from the 1970's to embed the plane on the screen.....I was gobsmacked it was that bad.

It wasn't all bad, but it certainly wasn't good......another epic true story turned to shit, all facts about this event got thrown out the window.

6/10.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Totally agree with that review. Major disappointment for me. That last part where the spitfire ran out of fuel then glided forever was ridiculous.

At no stage did the audience ever feel the true scale of what it was really like due to the directors reluctance to use modern cgi but insist on 60's/70's style special effects...hopeless.

The massive amount of weapons and equipment abandoned at Dunkirk was never seen.

Thanks

All of the aircraft were actually RC planes , except the spitfires, probably why it looked a little off .

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It didn't give the actual event much justice. If you read this , , and then watch the movie, its hard to find much common ground.

Yeah, that Spitfire must have travelled half the world gliding, it was hilarious. And he then gets captured by basically the only Germans in the movie !

I reckon if we looked close enough that Spitfire probably had fishing line holding it there, that's how bad the effects were.

My grandfather signed up with the AIF as anti aircraft gunner on the 4 of June 1940 directly because of Dunkirk, it was big news, a very major event.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Ahh, just remembered another thing about this movie that really got to me. That bloody 'music' in the action scenes..annoying repetitive noise...reminded me of the South African world cup and the vuvuzela.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    That last part where the spitfire ran out of fuel then glided forever was ridiculous.
    The part that got to me when this Spitfire ran out of fuel and landed on the beach and he set fire of it did you notice the broom stick keeping the propeller up. Now I had a stroke so everything takes time to sink to my brain so if I can see it everyone else show have seen this.
    If the Spitfire caught fire you should have seen a hunk of metal that looks like engine that the prop was saddle with but you saw a long pole holding the prop up. Shame on you Christopher Nolan, your better than that. But I do like his movies (i got the 7 UHD HDR movies for Xmas)
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 09-01-18 at 01:09 PM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Ahh, just remembered another thing about this movie that really got to me. That bloody 'music' in the action scenes..annoying repetitive noise...reminded me of the South African world cup and the vuvuzela.
    You must see other Christopher Nolan movies Look at "Interstellar" Brilliant Movie and it played the same sound for 1 / 1/2 hours of the 2 hr.40 minute movie. I like it but you can only appropriate it until you have ATMOS 7:2:4 audio setup

Premium Member

Thanks

had a shit copy of this and only watched 5 minutes of it. It Does not sound like it improves much
    Won't bother after this review. Thanks for freeing up a couple of hours of my life ... LOL

Thanks

I got the wrong copy of this movie, Operation Dunkirk is not even good enough for the $2 shop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk