Thread: Tecom and Titan UDP/TCP connection issues.

Thanks

Default Tecom and Titan UDP/TCP connection issues.

So I seem to have an ongoing issue when it comes to connecting titan over TCP/UDP. I have advanced IP knowledge but for some reason I cannot understand why TITAN IP connections just wont work for me. Heres the latest scenario.

I have a ubiquiti link between both buildings. DHCP works fine, and I am able to reach everything on the network via the ubiquiti from both sides, and have DNS.

I have the challenger IP set at 192.168.20.47, GW is 192.168.20.1 and managment software IP is 192.168.20.54. On the side of the challenger panel, I can plug into the switch and ping the challanger at 192.168.20.47.

From the other side of the ubiquity, I cannot reach 192.168.20.47, however I can reach my laptop plugged in to the other end of the ubiquiti including a DVR on the other end. Just not the challenger. I have tried switching between UDP and TCP and capturing packets with wireshark. During my wireshark capture, I am unable to see any traffic from the challenger, no broadcast traffic but if I ping the panel during an active capture, I capture ICMP packets.? This makes me wounder why I am not seeing any other broadcast traffic from the challenger.

So

SIDE A (Internet, Gateway)
    Can ping laptop plugged in (SIDE B)
    Can ping DVR (SIDE B)
    CANNOT PING CHALLENGER PANEL AT ALL (SIDE B)

>>>UBIQUITI<<<

SIDE B (Challenger and DVR)
    Can ping managment software PC (SIDE A)
    Can ping Router/GW with DNS and ADSL (SIDE A)
    Can ping other devices on the network (SIDE A)
    Can ping challenger panel locally. (SIDE B)

Any ideas? Not sure whats going on.

Thanks
    Last edited by deanfourie; 04-01-18 at 02:50 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hey mate,

I assume that your link is just an L2 bridge, get rid of the gateway IP. Have you connected your laptop directly with Titan?

Is it a V10 or V8/TS0898?

Let me know then we can go through some settings.

Cheers

Thanks

Pyro. Thanks for the reply.

It's a V8. Yep I also did try with no gateway. Yes I would say it's a later 2 bridge its a ubuquiti nano Nano station.

No I haven't connected directly with the laptop as I'm pretty confident it will work as I'm able to ping it from the local side but not from the remote side.

I've tried on both UDP and TCP. Tried changing host bits from 8 to 24, assuming host bits is ibdicating the mask.

Cheers

Thanks

Hi Deanfourie,

These Ethernet cards can be a mysterious beast, and they don’t give you a great deal of feedback.

BTW - It’s important to disable the first two features before doing any changes(IP add/change/removal)to the programming in Menu 47 -

Enable/Disable Extended Event and Enable/Disable TCP/IP.

I always turn both off, change parameters, then go back and re-Enable. Particularly it’s IP address, sometimes it won’t bind the IP if the options are still turned on.

If it was me, the first thing I would do is be certain that I can connect directly. If it didn’t I’d be defaulting the card(Menu 19/14/4) and reprogram.

Yes, the host bits is what’s left after your network bits, don’t ask my why they did it that way, ie if your network is a /24 bit netmask, then 08 host.

I know that you said you couldn’t see any broadcasts, but out of interest is there an entry on the ARP table on your titan computer? MAC address is on the underside of the Ethernet card, usually starts with 0055 for those units.

I presume that the Ubiquiti is happy to auto-negotiate at 10Mbits to talk to the Tecom?

Thanks

Pyro, thanks for the reply.

Not sure if the ubiquiti is fine with 10mb, I would assume so as this was a previous setup and was working fine.

I will check ARP entries in both the computer running titan and the router. Im back on site there on friday. I remember having issues with this before. I need to get a test panel here and a TCP IP card.

I just dont understand why I am getting no traffic, attempted broadcasts nothing.

I am litterally scrathing my head....other then faulty hardware, why no broadcasts, ARP requests.

Thanks

So I'm on site now. And I've just done an local arp on the computer on the same side as the tecom, where I can actually ping it. The result is showing me a broadcast mac address strangely.

IP of tecom 192.168.20.47 resolves to ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

Thanks

I have also logged into both ubiquitis and neither of them have an ARP entry for the tecom panel @ 192.168.20.47.

A local arp entry is created on my laptop for 192.168.20.47 >> ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

I have also plugged the tecom directly into the ubiquiti with no luck.

Other devices connected to the ubiquitis are creating ARP entries.

I swear I have this issue a lot with tecom TCP/UDP connections and I'm putting it down to that, arp and broadcasts.

Monitoring all traffic tcp.ip == 192.168.20.47 in wireshark, not one packet captured.

Also defaulted and started with fresh programming on this TCP card.

Also, forced eth0 and eth1 on the ubiquiti to 10mbps with no luck.

Scratching my nuts big-time.

Ps. Oh and rang tech support in Aus to be told it is a network issue. But I know it's not.
    Last edited by deanfourie; 12-01-18 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks

Hi Dean,
    Titan will talk to the ts0099 on the panel with just an IP address and no Mac.
    I became aware of this with Forcefield when we had a couple of cards that had no Mac address and would not communicate to FF but would communicate to Titan.
    Hills / Interlogix can reprogram the Mac if the card has not been damaged.
    Aspire to Inspire Before you Expire!!

Thanks

Turns out it was the mac address not creating an entry in the ARP table on the ubiquiti. Got a new card, and straight away had a mac address, and straight away connected.

My next issue is, is it possible to panel link 2 V8 panels over IP in titan?

UPDATE: got it, create 2 systems in Titan for the 2 different challengers, then create a 3rd named "Both Panels" or whatever.

Under the Both Panels system, create 2 ports, 1 TCP port pointing to chal 1, with IP and port 3001.

Create a second port in the same system "Both Panels" with chal 2 IP address and different port (not sure if necessary as they are on different IPs) 3002.

Then when activating systems, the system will connect to both Challengers.

Last edited by deanfourie; 18-01-18 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks

Your Chall is resolving to a broadcast address??

Thanks

You are not going to be able to get the IP cards anymore after stock runs out.
    Its one of the discontinued parts along with a bunch of other V8 and V9 stuff.

25 years is long enough to keep the V8 running I would think.

Still have a couple of sites with V7's with a few doors running and the end user wont upgrade till it goes BANG. Time for a lighting strike.
    Aspire to Inspire Before you Expire!!

Thanks

Interesting. I have more issues. Not sure if they are related to TCP or not.

When trying to do a full upload of users, I am getting "Upload Users - Max retries all failed 1:3310 - 65535" and "Upload Users - Max retries all failed 2:3262 - 65535" on both challengers.

At the same time I get this error, I get a alarm event telling me both chal went offline.

Neither panels have IUM enabled.

Any ideas? This jobs driving me nuts!

Thanks

I think you get that error or something similar if you have IUM ticked in the configuration and you don't have an IUM.

I also always upload users separately to the other programming.

Thanks

Yea I have tried with and without IUM. I get different errors. With IUM enable I get a "command not supported" error with IUM disabled I get "max retries failed" error.

I have also tried just uploading users. Argggg