Thread: Solid offset dish for C Band

Thanks

Default Solid offset dish for C Band

Hi,

I've done my research and yes it should just be big enough to work but just want to double check -

I'm looking at the possibility of using an old 80cm solid offset dish and pointing it at 172e for C band... Satbeam says 1.1m is minimum (which I assume is for mesh). If I bought a ku > c band converter kit do you think it will work? Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I would assume a 1.1m C-Band dish would be solid, as the smallest C-Band mesh dish I've seen is 1.8m.

I expect you'd be wasting your time money and effort on an 80cm Ku dish for C-band.

It's physically too small to effectively use a C-Band feedhorn on it, as it would be 'looking' beyond the edges of the dish, plus it would need an eliptcal/offset feedhorn, assuming you are talking about an offset 80cm dish.

The smallest offset C-Band feedhorn I'm aware of is for a 1.2m solid offset dish.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Machida View Post
    Hi,

I've done my research and yes it should just be big enough to work but just want to double check -

I'm looking at the possibility of using an old 80cm solid offset dish and pointing it at 172e for C band... Satbeam says 1.1m is minimum (which I assume is for mesh). If I bought a ku > c band converter kit do you think it will work? Thanks
    Depending on what you want to watch. Pol H is strong but vert is a little weaker our way in QLD.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Depending on what you want to watch. Pol H is strong but vert is a little weaker our way in QLD.
    What size and type of dish are you using?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Machida View Post
    Hi,

80 cm is way to small need a 1.2 solid minimum(even then dvb-s2 signals might be a struggle) .If you want to give it a go I have New offset c-band Scalar ring /feed horns with brackets here if you want one (free) just pay for the postage.

• The Following User Says Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (13-01-18)

Thanks

Unless you have a specific need to view PNG TV ...>> I don't think its worth the effort of putting up a fixed dish smaller 1.8m, prim or offset. Beside you'd find the 80cm refers to the Speedcast internet Ku band service.
    Last edited by B52; 12-01-18 at 02:18 PM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    What size and type of dish are you using?
    2.3M Mesh. I'm still having issues with the Vert on this sat *172) all other from 91.5 to 138 to 166 to 169 when it was alive was ok on vert but two degrees more (172) it no good for me

Administrator
    Thanks

2.3M Mesh. I'm still having issues with the Vert on this sat *172) all other from 91.5 to 138 to 166 to 169 when it was alive was ok on vert but two degrees more (172) it no good for me
    Not really a relevant indication then is it.... 2.3m mesh prime focus C-band dish V 80cm Ku solid dish with C-Band LNBF.

ie: apples V oranges

Thanks

Not really a relevant indication then is it.... 2.3m mesh prime focus C-band dish V 80cm Ku solid dish with C-Band LNBF.

ie: apples V oranges
    Don't understand what you are trying to say?

Thanks

Thanks for all info and the offer of the free parts, but sounds as if its not worth mucking around with.

Administrator
    Thanks

Don't understand what you are trying to say?
    The OP said "I'm looking at the possibility of using an old 80cm solid offset dish and pointing it at 172e for C band" and you replied with "Depending on what you want to watch. Pol H is strong but vert is a little weaker our way in QLD."

I then asked you to clarify what type and size of dish you were using, to which you replied "2.3M Mesh. I'm still having issues with the Vert on this sat *172) all other from 91.5 to 138 to 166 to 169 when it was alive was ok on vert but two degrees more (172) it no good for me".

So what I am saying is comparing reception on a 2.3m mesh dish and what would likely be received on an 80cm Ku dish on C-Band would not be a good comparison.

I suppose if anything it does however support what I said that an 80cm Ku dish is highly unlikely to work on C-Band, given that you get unreliable reception on a 2.3m c_band dish.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

The OP said "I'm looking at the possibility of using an old 80cm solid offset dish and pointing it at 172e for C band" and you replied with "Depending on what you want to watch. Pol H is strong but vert is a little weaker our way in QLD."

I then asked you to clarify what type and size of dish you were using, to which you replied "2.3M Mesh. I'm still having issues with the Vert on this sat *172) all other from 91.5 to 138 to 166 to 169 when it was alive was ok on vert but two degrees more (172) it no good for me".

So what I am saying is comparing reception on a 2.3m mesh dish and what would likely be received on an 80cm Ku dish on C-Band would not be a good comparison.

I suppose if anything it does however support what I said that an 80cm Ku dish is highly unlikely to work on C-Band, given that you get unreliable reception on a 2.3m c_band dish.

Hope that makes sense.
    Yes Understand now. On the Ultimo and the duo 2 I get HOPE Christian Channel at a record 97, 98 SNR. Now that a Record but even If you Skew the LNB and get Vert (lose some Ver on Asiasat 5) I only get the Vert Channels around 60-65% on Eutelsat 172 B. Something funny about this signal around our area