Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greens and Australia Day

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Default Greens and Australia Day

It's great to see our politicians tackling all the big issues....Forget unemployment, spiralling electricity costs, crazy house pricing, more and more freedoms being removed, soft cock magistrates releasing thugs to continue causing chaos.....lets discuss same sex marriage or the date of Australia Day. Keep the masses talking about anything but the real problems around us.

The latest is the Greens upcoming plan to change Australia Day FFS.

"The Greens are planning a major new national campaign to change the date of Australia Day, with federal leader Richard Di Natale listing the controversial push as one of his top priorities for 2018."
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/greens-plan-major-new-australia-day-date-change-campaign-20180113-h0hzto.html

It's good to see Di Natale is there to take on the BIG issues of the day making it his top priority. I'm so looking forward to this riveting and important discussion pushing aside all those other less important issues facing us right now.
    Last edited by mandc; 15-01-18 at 07:47 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

admin (20-01-18),alpha0ne (15-01-18),dashinson (28-01-18),DB44 (15-01-18),eaglem (15-01-18),enf (15-01-18),Guiseppe (15-01-18),gulliver (16-01-18),softel (16-01-18),VroomVroom (15-01-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I nominate June 31st as Australia Day.......................(Yes, I know June has 30 days!!)

I must be missing the plot because I dont understand how changing the date changes the fact that on the 26th of January, a ceremony was held proclaiming the Country for England.
    We however can argue on the validity of the Proclamation till Dooms Day but nothing can the FACT it happened when it did.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

dashinson (28-01-18),enf (15-01-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I nominate June 31st as Australia Day.......................(Yes, I know June has 30 days!!)

I must be missing the plot because I dont understand how changing the date changes the fact that on the 26th of January, a ceremony was held proclaiming the Country for England.
    We however can argue on the validity of the Proclamation till Dooms Day but nothing can the FACT it happened when it did.
    The Greens? Facts? Common sense? Useless gestures?

Come on........
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (15-01-18),eaglem (16-01-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

I will NOT apologise to anyone for an action that took place TWO HUNDRED and THIRTY years ago by a group who at the time did what was the standard of the day for claiming land.
    I can say I regret that they were sadly ill informed that when they had the ceremony, they had little or no idea that there were people living here and had done so for many Centuries.
    When you read the history of that period, this was how lands were claimed by nearly every Country seeking new Territory.

As for 'Invasion Day' I once heard a story that the present day Aborigines arrived here in different groups and they 'displaced' who ever was here in the first place.

Also it was said that as each group arrived, they 'pushed' those here before them out of their established territory and took it over.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-01-18),enf (15-01-18),gulliver (16-01-18),william10 (15-01-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

As has been happening for millennia one group "invades" another. Who did the Abos displace? Yes, it is regrettable that these things happened in the past, and yes, we should be ashamed of the way our forefathers treated the Australian Aboriginal, but that does not mean we should feel guilty. Our only requirement should be to ensure that past mistakes are not made again.

January 26th is the day that The first fleet arrived to establish the first British Colony. Maybe we could change the date to 29th April.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (16-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

I was under the impression that the victors wrote history.....

Why are the losers dictating to us ?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-01-18),enf (15-01-18),mandc (15-01-18),VroomVroom (16-01-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    I was under the impression that the victors wrote history.....

Why are the losers dictating to us ?

I have been waiting in this day of apologists and those oh so Politically correct, for the Jewish Community to issue an apology to the Nazi regime for having to set up Concentration camps to exterminate them.
    There are several other nationalities who could co-sign such an apology like Russians, Poles, French etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

What I don't get, why is there such opposition to changing Australia Day from the 26th of Jan, a day that celebrates the start of abject misery for most of the people who were transported here anyway. Even if you don't consider the viewpoint of the Aborigines, it makes no sense.

Make it 01 Jan, the anniversary of the Federation of Australia.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Bob_m_54

Maybe because there is no good reason to change it and most of us object to being dictated to by a vocal left wing minority....

Last edited by hoe; 16-01-18 at 02:22 PM.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (16-01-18),croozer (18-01-18),enf (16-01-18),lsemmens (17-01-18),VroomVroom (17-01-18)

Thanks

Bob,
    It can't be Jan 1. That is already a holiday. If we make Australia Day Jan 1 then we may miss out on a long weekend, and we can't have that

• The Following User Says Thank You to madtech For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (16-01-18)

Thanks

The Greens running an April fools day joke again, LOL

Premium Member

Thanks

Its actually a misconception that the First Fleet only had Convicts on board but there were 'Free Settlers' as well.
    Unfortunately not many were experienced Farmers and arriving here at the end of January when you should be looking to harvest your crops, not sowing them wasnt a great arrangement.

PS, Now I am retired every weekend is a LONG Weekend but for those still in the workforce, I agree that adding one to another is simply Un Australian and must be resisted at all costs.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-01-18 at 04:33 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (16-01-18),gulliver (16-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    What I don't get, why is there such opposition to changing Australia Day from the 26th of Jan, a day that celebrates the start of abject misery for most of the people who were transported here anyway. Even if you don't consider the viewpoint of the Aborigines, it makes no sense.

Make it 01 Jan, the anniversary of the Federation of Australia.
    Well fu*k me bob...................seems you might have over done the dosage of your PC pills this morning..................or you've been watching too much ABC/commercial tripe

And 'the start of abject misery for most of the people who were transported here' is much better than most could have hoped for back in England.....................eg. the noose !!!!

Those poor transportees at least had an opportunity to make a better life for themselves after their sentence was served, and I'm sure they all were more than happy (might I suggest even ecstatic !!!) to get off that stinking ship they had been confined to for months ??, and many said detainees went on to make for themselves and their families a farrrrrrrrrrr better life they could have ever have hoped for back in the old dart

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-01-18),VroomVroom (17-01-18),wal1 (16-01-18)

Thanks

I actually liked what one aboriginal lady said on TV - Changing the date will not help aboriginal communities to solve their social issues.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

enf (16-01-18),lsemmens (17-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Why can't they stick to whales and old growth forests? Even if they did change the date do they not think that people would keep celebrating the original day? You couldn't divide a nation more if you tried greens....

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

enf (16-01-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

another half wit idea

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

enf (16-01-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

As usual, the Greens and the looney left who vote for them have no solutions to the real issues.....just their stupid pettiness..

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (17-01-18),mandc (16-01-18)

Thanks

Well at least rename it to it's full title "British Colonialisation of Australia Day" if you can't see past the beer and barby....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Its actually a misconception that the First Fleet only had Convicts on board but there were 'Free Settlers' as well.
    Unfortunately not many were experienced Farmers and arriving here at the end of January when you should be looking to harvest your crops, not sowing them wasnt a great arrangement.

PS, Now I am retired every weekend is a LONG Weekend but for those still in the workforce, I agree that adding one to another is simply Un Australian and must be resisted at all costs.
    Yeah, same here Gordon (retired) but for the working class, if they are worried about losing out on a day off, they still have that other great Australian tradition.... The sickie

Thanks

Nah, pandering to a minority.
    The issues that get to me are cases of reverse racism and the minority influencing the day to day life of the majority .
    Some examples:
    Lets change Australia Day it offends the original Australians.

Don't celebrate christian festivals it might offend our recent new arrivals.

Other examples
    Go to buy takeaway alcohol in some of our Australian States that outside the narrow trading hours, or try to buy cask wine,spirits or fortified wine (in one WA licensed grocer I asked for sherry to prepare a chinese meal, The store went silent and every one looked. No sherry available)

Alice Springs, Cop on the door of BWS I had to produce Id ( I'm 65 years old and snow white)

SA NT border could buy a six pack, anything else required producing my licence, filling out a form that included Name Address, licence number, quantity and type of alcohol purchased and declaring that I would only use the alcohol for my own consumption. Asked about privacy policy, blank stare

Coober Pedy now a bit more modern here (apart from the restricted hours) had to scan my licence and advised that a database was maintained and I would not be able to purchase specified quantities of alcohol for another 24 hours. Asked where the database was held, they had no idea.

Now back home grand kids lived in a catchment area for a Nunga School, hated it called white maggot land thief, invader and other charming names by their fellow students. Now a pretty flash bus used to come into their street to pick up the rightful owners of the land and take them to school. Could my Grandkids get on the bus, no way. Then to top it off the bus would come back and pick up the adults to go to centre link, pokies the pub, or wherever.
    Do the kids go to that school anymore? No. What are their thoughts on their treatment? They seem to have been indoctrinated that it is all the fault of non indigenous people for stealing their land.

I recently posted about the African problem in Melbourne, and the problems I see coming to Adelaide, now on reflection, we already have assimilation issues.

I am usually pretty noncommittal about other races and peoples, but recently it seems that our leftards are spiralling out of control, and I am concerned with the future that we have left for our offspring, and that includes those of our post war migrants, who have helped build our nation.
    Rant Over
    Wal

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wal1 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (17-01-18),enf (17-01-18),lsemmens (17-01-18),mkhannah (17-01-18),VroomVroom (17-01-18)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast