I am planning to move to Telstra Cable and then later NBN. Looking the $99 plan for unlimited. By the time I save phone rental its not a bad deal at all. However, a quick search shows that the Modem they provide, whilst it can be placed into Bridge mode, when it is Voice Service is lost. Also, Telstra helpfully does not allow 3rd party devices nor does it give out settings to use another device for phones, assuming this is possible.

I want to sort this out before I buy, so decided to chat online and get a transcript. Unfortunately it is now about 10 mins since the chat and the transcript is yet to appear, which is not exacly inspiring. The initial consultant asked me what Bridge Mode was, so I asked to be referred to a technician, which I eventually was. The technician first confirmed that voice would not work with the modem in bridge mode. However, when he realised my connection would be cable, he wrote that voice would be supplied via a "spltter". I admit to some ignorance here, since as I have only come across splitters in this context in regard to ADSL. Having confirmed that voice would be supplied via a splitter on cable, I queried what would happen when NBN was connected. He said Voice would then be supplied by a splitter also. I then confirmed that I could have the modem in bridge mode both with cable and NBN and that Telstra would supply a splitter which would give me voice service. He confirmed this. So hopefully I will have it in writing shortly (though I am not holding my breath).

Is anyone a little more knowledgeable in this area than me (no doubt many of you) be able to throw some light on this mysterious "splitter".