Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 Deceased user. password protected

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forbirun View Post
    I bought it already dam it and it’s working now thanks guys.. The cds were all marked with a discolour. The CD burner is old too so changed both and it works!! Although now mouse not working lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry guys I tried this on 2 computers that didn’t have the issue and it worked a treat. But where I’m having the issue on the ho desktop. Still same problem here’s the link to see sound.
    And 2nd link is showing the process I went through. Was at point going to work so missed recording the sound. Duh..

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

What is the model of the computer? I have come across business grade laptops (HP) that had a bios lock that could only be broken by replacing the bios chip on the motherboard...Fiddly but it did work.

Not sure if HP also have this level of extra security on their business grade desktops.

Edit: Yes..they do

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - BIOS Passwords

This information applies to HP and Compaq desktop computers.

Almost all HP and Compaq consumer desktop computers do not allow power-on passwords. Instead, use a BIOS Lock Supervisor password and Windows Logon password.
    You can help prevent someone from accessing the BIOS and making unwanted changes by setting a BIOS Supervisor password (or BIOS Lock). To do this, go to the Advanced page of the BIOS Setup Utility and select Supervisor password (or BIOS Lock) to add or change a password. The setting is usually at the bottom and you might need to scroll. To prevent the Supervisor password screen from appearing, leave all text blank and press Enter when entering a password.
    By setting these two password types, BIOS lock and Windows logon, a person who does not know the passwords will not have conventional access to Windows.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/bph07925
    Last edited by mandc; 08-02-18 at 09:49 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

forbirun (10-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    What is the model of the computer? I have come across business grade laptops (HP) that had a bios lock that could only be broken by replacing the bios chip on the motherboard...Fiddly but it did work.

Not sure if HP also have this level of extra security on their business grade desktops.

Edit: Yes..they do

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - BIOS Passwords

This information applies to HP and Compaq desktop computers.

Almost all HP and Compaq consumer desktop computers do not allow power-on passwords. Instead, use a BIOS Lock Supervisor password and Windows Logon password.
    You can help prevent someone from accessing the BIOS and making unwanted changes by setting a BIOS Supervisor password (or BIOS Lock). To do this, go to the Advanced page of the BIOS Setup Utility and select Supervisor password (or BIOS Lock) to add or change a password. The setting is usually at the bottom and you might need to scroll. To prevent the Supervisor password screen from appearing, leave all text blank and press Enter when entering a password.
    By setting these two password types, BIOS lock and Windows logon, a person who does not know the passwords will not have conventional access to Windows.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/bph07925
    K
    I had even changed mouse and keyboard. Still same issue with beeps

Premium Member
    Thanks

I notice you get error code 7 when trying to load boot media...Below is from microsoft if you get error code 7. Either bad ram (unlikely) or bios problems (more likely as hp bios has lots of settings and sometimes passwords to really bugger you)

Error Code Is 7" Error Message Occurs During Windows Setup

Symptoms

During the text-mode portion of Windows Setup, Setup may stop responding (hang) and you may receive one of the following error messages:
    The file I386\Ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7.
    -or-

The file I386\L_intl.nlf could not be loaded. The error code is 7.
    As a result, you cannot install Windows.

Cause

This behavior can occur if either one of the following conditions is true:

• There are incorrect settings in the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) configuration.

-or-
    • One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that is installed on the computer is faulty.

Resolution

To troubleshoot and resolve this behavior, use the method that is appropriate to your situation.Method 1: Restore the Default BIOS Settings

WARNING: This procedure may involve changing the computer's complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings and altering the computer's BIOS. Incorrect changes to the BIOS of your computer can result in serious problems. Change the computer's CMOS settings at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, restore the computer's BIOS to its default settings. For information about the correct BIOS settings for the computer and about how to check and change these settings, see the computer documentation or contact the manufacturer of the computer.

Additionally, to confirm that the computer's BIOS is current, contact the computer manufacturer to inquire about the latest BIOS update that is available for the computer.Method 2: Remove the Faulty RAM

To resolve this behavior, remove the memory modules that are installed in the computer.

NOTE: You must leave enough RAM for the computer to start and run Windows.

For more information about the amount of RAM that is required to run Windows, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

System requirements for Microsoft Windows 2000 operating systems

If the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article is displayed again after you remove the memory module, remove a different memory module. This procedure may require you to restart your computer several times to identify the specific memory module that is not working correctly.

For information about how to add and remove RAM to the computer, either contact the manufacturer of the computer or view the documentation that is included with your computer.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Try to clear cmos by using the jumper on your motherboard...here is a pic of yours from the HP site

Reset password: With the computer turned off, remove the jumper, and then turn on the computer.
    Reset CMOS: With the computer turned off, move the jumper to the pins to the right (these instructions work when the motherboard orientation is such that CLR_CMOS can be seen below the pins).
    NOTE:

Because moving the jumper from the password pins resets the password, clearing the CMOS necessarily clears the password simultaneously.

Last edited by mandc; 10-02-18 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks

Ok I’ll give it a try tonight but the odd think about this is, I have loaded an old recovery program that logged into a explorer environment which enabled me to access the windows directory but wouldn’t allow me to use the reset password app. Go figure

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

it cant bios bios locked or you woundt get passed the bios
    cant you pull the hdd out & get whatever off it?
    its trying to boot to xp by the looks, which is more than likely borked
    just a thought
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

There is an easy way using the Windows 10 boot disk and some CMD.
    I have used it many times .
    Ill post a link up when i get to my office.
    ITs a matter of Holding shift F10 and bringing up the CMD then typing a few commands to create a new user account and making it an admin account.
    then log in with the new account and remove the password on the other account.
    Works very well for me.

Thanks

That’s right phil. Checked bios and checked for any security. I was able to back data up using an older program using an old CD recovery program. But this was useless with changing the password. Formatting was a last resort because it has everything set up the way the widow had everything set up
    Thanks mutants
    Will be looking forward to getting on with things.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The thing is,as you said, it was set up the way the deceased wanted it. So, it ain't going to matter if you put a new OS on it, it isn't as though the dead bloke is going to complain. Given the amount of time you've spent on it, a re-format and re-load would have had you working days ago.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The thing is,as you said, it was set up the way the deceased wanted it. So, it ain't going to matter if you put a new OS on it, it isn't as though the dead bloke is going to complain. Given the amount of time you've spent on it, a re-format and re-load would have had you working days ago.
    Sorry I didn't explain in proper detail.
    A mates wife died from health issues.
    So this was the only reason I went to this far to get around the password issue.
    But yes your right lsemmens, This would be my last option before formatting. Cant waste to much time on this. Would be interesting to see if mutanti's method words still :-)

Thanks

Last update. Ended up formatting. Now to get a refund on that program that failed to work :-)
    I would like to thank all for the imput on this issue and I hope the info on this page helps others not make the same mistake i did and purchase software that only works sometimes.
    Cheers
    forbirun

• The Following User Says Thank You to forbirun For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (16-02-18)

Thanks

Not to necro, but next time you need to get a password reset, either use the cd like mentioned above or used it for a long time

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12