Thread: Time to upgrade my drone

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Time to upgrade my drone

Maybe next year available on Aliexpress

Looks resonably safe with 8 motors.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Rick (07-02-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Now thats a sweet looking drone

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (08-02-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

It is controlled through a remote command center therefore a remote controlled hobby drone (if I just fly for personal pleasure).
    However I sit inside and give the commend center directions where I want to go, so I always have it in direct view.
    I alway fly below 120m.
    I can fly over the beach and some headlands to my shopping centre some 15km away without flying over any built up area and land on an open space, where I only need to walk 1 minute to get to Aldi.

So Tiny your turn.
    Why would I even need a license?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-02-18 at 11:09 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

xapi (09-02-18)

Thanks

Also think if I built a jet pack backpack like contraption that has 4 double electric powerd props instead of a jet, a backpack drone.
    Propguards of course, maybe in the form of ducted fans and fully stabilised like the DJI drones(just use their contoller boards). A 4 quadrant joy stick in each handle so it is controlled exactly like a drone in stick mode 2 for example.
    But here is the trick, it flys only up to 1 meter over ground or water. The controller won't let you go higher, but will forwards track the ground stucture and waves and keep you always 1 meter above obstacles, but automatically stops at distance when it detects cars and buildings and people. DJI drones already detect people and have obstacle avoidance but I am looking at further distance.

Would you really need a license for that?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-02-18 at 11:45 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I think you will find that you will need a Recreational Pilots Licence for both those options.

Consult Sport & Recreational Aviation at CASA.

CASR Part 103 - Sport and recreational aviation operations

Part 103 of CASR will consolidate the rules applying to people who carry out recreational aviation private flight operations, maintenance, and training for recreational aviation in the following kinds of aircraft:

• gliders (including sailplanes, hang gliders, paragliders and powered variants thereof meeting defined criteria)
    • manned balloons and hot-air airships
    • rotorcraft that meet defined criteria and are administered by a recreational aviation administration organisation
    • ultralight aeroplanes (defined by weight and stall speed) that are administered by a recreational aviation administration organisation.

All rules relating to private or recreational use of balloons or gliders will be found in Part 103.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I think you will find that you will need a Recreational Pilots Licence for both those options.

Consult Sport & Recreational Aviation at CASA.

CASR Part 103 - Sport and recreational aviation operations

Part 103 of CASR will consolidate the rules applying to people who carry out recreational aviation private flight operations, maintenance, and training for recreational aviation in the following kinds of aircraft:

• gliders (including sailplanes, hang gliders, paragliders and powered variants thereof meeting defined criteria)
    • manned balloons and hot-air airships
    • rotorcraft that meet defined criteria and are administered by a recreational aviation administration organisation
    • ultralight aeroplanes (defined by weight and stall speed) that are administered by a recreational aviation administration organisation.

All rules relating to private or recreational use of balloons or gliders will be found in Part 103.

Part 103 of CASR, and where are the rules? There is no link on that site page to the rules.
    Says nothing about licences.
    From what I understand you need to join the approriate self-administration organisation.
    The closest i can find for rotorcraft is :
    which is all about gyroplanes that have ZERO to do with a passenger drone.
    After flying 20 hours learning to a gyroplane you get a certificate that allows you to fly gyroplanes, not (hobby)drones, manned or unmanned.

The Ehang doesn't even have manual flight controls. AFAIK you can only initiate an (automated) emergency landing with a touch of a button.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-02-18 at 08:59 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Then contact CASA & ask them, they make the rules.

BTW, you can call it a passenger drone or whatever you like but if it takes a passenger then it's a commercial aircraft, or if you just call it a drone, then because of it's size/weight (I'll guess it's over 150kg) you will need at least a Drone Operators Licence/Remote Pilots License to use it.

Edit; Yep it's 260kg & can transport a person up to 100kg,
    I can't say for sure what aircraft definition it would fall into.
    It cant be a Drone as it does not meet the definition of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle once a passenger is on-board.
    It probably is close to a Gyrocopter/Rotorcraft in definition although it has no controls for the pilot.
    Ehang call it an Autonomous Aerial Vehicle.

As above ask CASA on their enquiry form or the people that run the Rotorcraft Association

CASA 103 rules here, see right side bar for specific aircraft.
    Last edited by Tiny; 10-02-18 at 11:31 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (10-02-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Interesting mono-cockpit design,>
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (14-02-18)

Thanks

Well that won't happen in Australia, at least not legally.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Well that won't happen in Australia, at least not legally.
    Well when you see what happens to unlicensed operators with similar alternate aircraft??

But it's brilliant easy to fly & fail-safe as it is a parachute right!

Last edited by Tiny; 15-02-18 at 07:31 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Well when you see what happens to unlicensed operators with similar alternate aircraft??
    The only similarity with a paraglider and a drone I can see is that they both fly.

Plenty of accidents occur with licensed pilots on light aircraft. The frequent news reports are quite scary and turn me off light aircraft that need to maintain a minimum(but still fast) stall speed to stay safely in the air.
    A drone with redundant engines/props and collision avoidance systems and can just stop in mid air to 'give way', would be the safest form of private air travel I can think of.
    That Ehang should have propguards though, which could also improve efficiancy if done right.

A lot can go wrong with paragliders and also hot air ballons as recent incidents have shown.