Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 is not long for this world

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Oh joy.... another major one on the way.

If I'd known that sooner, I wouldn't have bothered with this one.
    Get used to it W10 will have a major update every 6 months, the next update will be 1809 to the general public. 18 stands for year and 09 month.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (19-05-18),Tiny (20-05-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I haven't spent any time trying to update W10, I just let it do what it wants for updates in the background, then it it notifies me of a restart, I select now or remind me later.
    If I'm going to do nothing with the puter I let it go on it's restart to finish updates & when I come back it's all done.
    Takes none of my time at all.
    The recent 1803 update completed last night with no issues I see so far.
    Actually it may have changed for the better & solved some networking issues I had.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

Windows users will be apprehensive about learning a new OS like Mint and it takes some time to get comfortable with it but the rewards are great. I'm still dual booting Win7 with Mint18.3 only because of a few Windows apps that have no real equivalent in Linux as yet so Windows is only started up maybe once a week or so for those specific tasks as necessary. Mint does have a few quirks but they're minor compared to the Windows experience.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

rawill (03-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Should I mention ? 20 minutes from start to finish for a new install. Updates - yeah, they happen but have never caused more trouble than they've solved or forced a restart at an inopportune moment. Come to think of it, I've haven't needed to re-start in nearly 4 months (on ANY of my computers). In fact I am installing an update as I type.
    I am seriously thinking of dong this. Currently writing from an old Acer Aspire 5310, that had Vista!
    It was hopeless.

The only issue I have is I can not get wifi to work.
    No icon for wifi showing up, and the wifi button seems disabled and the wifi light is not flashing as it should.

Have not been able to find the driver for it yet.
    I have no issue with Ubuntu 16.04 on an Aspire One ZG, the little one.
    I tried it on the 5310 as well but same issue.

So yes, maybe it is a good alternative to Win 10.
    And Linix is much faster too.
    Ultraplus 680 platinum. 1.1 triax on moteck with 3 lnbs, 1.8 prime focus Dual C/ku lnb. 75 dish with 3 lnbs in campervan.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi Rawill
    You shouldn't have any issues at all as there's little hardware that doesn't get recognised 'out of the box' in a basic install.
    Laptops can present a few challenges at times with the variety of custom bluetooth, wireless, video, sound etc interfaces but nothing insurmountable and the beauty of a 'live' linux install disk is you can run the OS off the disk first to see what hardware/software/performance issues there may be before you commit to installing it on the HDD.

For an 'older' laptop I'd be trying a 32 bit version first if your memory is 4GB or less

ISO downloads here and I'd go for the Cinnamon or Mate version.

Premium Member
    Thanks

You need to identify the wifi controller first so execute (in terminal) lspci to see all devices on the internal bus. lsusb will list all usb devices (eg. if you had a wifi USB dongle plugged in).
    And there's lshw (if that function is installed) which will list everything hardware in great detail.

Equipped with the controller info, go searching in the many linux forums related to your version and you're bound to find a detailed solution.

EG
    me@me-desktop ~ $ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev d0)
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev d0)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family Z97 LPC Controller
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
    03:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
    04:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host Controller

More than enough data there to go hunting for the right driver for any particular device. A laptop wifi controller is almost certain to be an Atheros device.
    Last edited by Skepticist; 04-06-18 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks

Linux mint is nit for everyone, but if you can use it, its a definite step up from te garbage that is windows 10 in general, I like windows , but they pushed me so far that i went to look at a mac which to me was almost just as bad in terms of compatibility issues. So i opted for linux mint and had a go at ubuntu, which is sufficient. I hope windows will listen to their users when they release their next version.

I would hate to see a world controlled by mac because for many of us that means changing most of what we do to compensate for incompatibility issues.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The issue with Mac is not much different to Windwoes, only ten times worse, You cannot use much in the way of 3rd party stuff on a bit of fruit unless it has that little worm eaten apple attached to it and then you pay through the nose for it. At least in the non-fruity world you can mix and match your hardware to suit. Of course that, then, leaves you with sorting out software for your hardware. In that, M$ and Linux are exactly the same. The only issue is if brand A supports Linux or not. Often they will only support the largest user base. That is not the fault of Linux, 'tis that of the manufacturers. No real difference with Apple, either, it either supports apple, or it doesn't. The beauty of the Linux ecosystem is that it supports older hardware far better than Windoze 10 ever did. How many systems do you know of that are happily running Windoze 10 that were new when XP was king. I had 3, but they were slooooooow and inherently buggy. Since changing over, I've forgotten the last time I've touched a couple of them, they just work!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I'm Still VERY happily using win 7.
    My laptop had 10 on it and I throught it was ttaly and utterly ridicilous. I had to work out how to put one of those GUI's on it to make it look like 7 before I could work the bastard.

"Apps" FFS! They are fking PROGRAMS. All this trendy marketing crap shits me to tears.

Whatever they do to windoze, you can be guarantee it will be like everything else in the IT world.... each and every update is in fact a giant step backwards and a huge frustration for the end user with no real appreciable benefits what so ever.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

irritant (13-03-19),Jma (30-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The issue with Mac is not much different to Windwoes, only ten times worse, You cannot use much in the way of 3rd party stuff on a bit of fruit unless it has that little worm eaten apple attached to it and then you pay through the nose for it. At least in the non-fruity world you can mix and match your hardware to suit.
    Sorry that I have to be a bit harsch but you obviously don't have even the slightest clue about Mac OSX.
    Your ignorance may be forgiven as I too, when I switched from Windows to Ubuntu in 2005 thought that I would never touch a Mac, until an old MBP
    literally fell into my hands, so I thought too hell... lets have a closer look at it.

It is the most versatile and user friendly Linux distro, period
    ...Ok strictly speaking it is not actually using Linus Torwalds kernel but when I go through the system I still feel completely at home and freely modifiable.

Nobody forces you to use any of the Apple software that comes with it(you can actually delete or disable it), you are free to install any open source available to Linux on a Mac as well.
    But you get a few useful Apple lollies + a lot of great third party stuff only for MAC for free as well.
    To my knowledge there is no Virus/Malware in circulation if you download full versions *cough* somewhere for educational reasons, just like Linux.

Only risks are like everywhere else, Website related on x-platforms like Flash/Java/Javascript.
    With Homebrew I even managed to get Ktorrent running, more or less just proof of concept.
    Of course I still love and use my Kubuntu and with every upgrade, unlike Windows, it always gets nicer.

Kubuntu -> fun and I learn a lot.
    MAC -> productive and relaxing
    Windows -> stress^2, every time they change something, something I need doesn't work any more
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

fred121 (01-02-19),hinekadon (02-10-18),tristen (02-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Linux/mac may be fine for personal use but windows is still the only real option for business use.....

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I must admit, my mac experience is a little dated. FYI: I actually worked for an Apple centre back in the 90s. The funny thing at the time was that I was selling IBM computers but had a Mac on my desk.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Windows 10 1809 update is ready to download :-)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12