Thread: Thin Vertical Lines on Samsung Plasma TV

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Thin Vertical Lines on Samsung Plasma TV

One of the family TVs we use is a Samsung Plasma Model Number PS51E550. 2 thin vertical lines have appeared over the last 6 or 8 months, I am contemplating replacing it with a new unit however I thought I might ask here in this forum first before I take that step, overall it has been a good TV. I found some pointers on the internet about repairs with Plasma with some references on connectors but none with the exact I problem I have that I can identify.

Example Pics of how it looks is here:

Is worth the effort to repair or should I simply purchase a new one? We have this TV for at least 5 years by the way.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Hi checkitout,

We have all Samsung TV's in our house. I think if I had the problem I would unfortunately look at probably getting rid of it or put it to a man cave or something! I would hazard as a guess if the labour is an hour or more plus parts it probably is not worth your while unless you know something about telly's and you can do a fix it yourself.

Five years is reasonable but I really would expect at least 7 or 8 years out of a samsung. Television's have really come down a lot in price. Saw some 55 inch televisions for just under a grand after Christmas. Good luck with what decision you make.

David.

Thanks

Sometimes dust and dirt on the plasma driver chip leads can cause this but I'd use it as an excuse to buy a 4K replacement. 4k rez not 4k $

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Long long ago during a mental episode, someone posted a similar problem with a Plasma TV and how they corrected it by hitting it on the top with the flat of a Cricket Bat.
    They even posted a video with step by step instructions on 'How to DO it'..............
    From memory the vertical bars were quite prominent, mostly on the left hand side of the screen I think.
    I cant remember now how or why they chose this method of repair but it did work but not for very long.
    I must add that they simply didnt give the TV a little pat but a bloody great whack which amazed me it didnt fall to bits.
    That this 'Hit Me to fix' worked sort of says to me its possibly a poor or dry joint somewhere.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think I will plan on replacing it and once I do that then pull it apart and see if connectors or anything else out of the ordinary makes a difference.

Mr google seems to indicate as an experience reviews from others that this still could be a LCD/Plasma issue ... I do recall though that the line has been slightly different in size or position... which would seem to indicate a driver or connection problem.

A few years back a big batch of electrolytic capacitors had production faults such that 18 months or 2 years on they would fail (typically physically swell expand or even leak blow) ... another such check to do if one pulls these things apart.

If somehow there is a fix, great, I will do a shuffle with existing ones I have i.e. keep the best ones, or simply just sell it. Having said this it could still go into my man shed, makes for easy watching while I am fiddling away with other hobby activities I do there

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The whole question boils down to 'is it worth repairing?'
    Its age (5 years), is there a local repairer? how hard is it to transport and return when done, time away being repaired, chances of failing from another problem in the foreseeable future? and finally of course, the COST !!
    As you said, you can either put up with the lines and relocate it elsewhere (Man Shed) or have a go at fixing it yourself, you have nothing to loose.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Had a very similar problem with my old TV. Suspected dry joint in the cable from drivers. When I was applying a slight pressure to the screen from the back like trying to bend it the lines would disappear for few weeks/months which proved the theory.
    I didn't want to fix it myself so let it go for awhile.
    You can try to do the same and if it doesn't fix it get a new one.