Thread: Towing - Can you tow legally tow items at once?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Towing - Can you legally tow two items at once?

At first you would scoff it this notion, even though i have a friend that does 'Road Train" his firewood trailer and bench saw behind it.

I was told over the weekend, you can actually legally tow 2 items if done in this manner.

Tow Rig > Caravan Towed as a "Fifth Wheeler" > Boat towed behind caravan.
    Driver to have a Truck Licence, i'd imagine a Multi Combination, not just a Heavy Combination.

Anyone heard of this?
    Not sure if it is a state by state rule and my be different in Vic as WA for example.

Be a real giggle to back up
    Obviously it is not a practical thing to do, as the rear towed item would swing wildly with the smallest of steering inputs or changes in road conditions
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-02-18 at 08:12 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,075 Times in 9,093 Posts

Interesting question OB....

Wouldn't you need a combo license like a road train?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, after more reading, you can do this with a HC Licence
    But, apparently the whole idea is voided, because National Road Rule book excludes the towing of anything behind something that is already being towed
    (exceptions are B Doubles and Road Trains)

I'd say the Braking system and ADR's of the "Fifth Wheeler" would also be inquestion.

Interestingly, if you search around, plenty of Aussies have done this if only for small distances to move from one camp site to another (say 100ks or so) and its been preform in very remote areas where Policing or even other vehicles are unlikely to come by.
    I'd hardly see it as a full time solution.
    But i do know a lot of Grey Nomads that want to be able to do this....

I guess the answer would be, just get a Light Commercial Truck with a tray back, mount a slip on Camper on the Truck and then tow your boat.

Or a capable Motorhome that can tow a boat.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-02-18 at 10:07 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I think I can safely say you CANNOT do this in NSW simply because you cant do ANYTHING in NSW !!!
    I would exclude vehicles such as lorries etc where one articulated vehicle can tow a Trailer but that's it.(Mostly 'Tippers')
    I know I am on the border where full size B Doubles can come in from the West but cannot pass a road junction going towards Sydney.
    I am not sure but I believe that Road Trains or similar can only operate in certain parts of the State.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (15-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I think I can safely say you CANNOT do this in NSW simply because you cant do ANYTHING in NSW !!!
    NSW does allow something similar, but only with approved trailer combinations.

At this time the only approved trailer combinations are the ones that carry portable traffic lights used at roadwork sites - so 2 traffic light trailers can be towed one behind the other in combination.

Definitely cannot do what is in that picture however.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (15-02-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,521 Times in 1,805 Posts

Guy in Western Australia had this setup and the trailer behind the van broke off it's tow hitch and ploughed into a truck killing the driver.
    Turns out that it was a highly illegal setup.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hazman For This Useful Post:

xapi (25-03-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

As hazman says, this was just in the news

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

hogwort (24-02-18),ol' boy (15-02-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Wow, how on earth did he avoid jail?

Premium Member

Thanks

For years in NSW you could 'rope tow' preferably only over a short distance but that was eventually banned.
    Then there was the 'Bar' method using a solid pipe or beam with chains on both ends but I dont think that's allowed now.
    Another rule was you could not tow anything heavier than the towing vehicle whether it was fitted with any sort of braking system or not.
    I gather today standard 'Box Trailers' now require 'Truck Tyres (6 ply?) as do caravans.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 577 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    ~ so 2 traffic light trailers can be towed one behind the other in combination. ~
    If you look at how traffic light trailers are designed, there's no articulation point between the "trailers", so yes they do daisy-chain together but combined units basically form one longer trailer, not two separate trailers...

Andrew

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I was told over the weekend, you can actually legally tow 2 items if done in this manner.
    In the words of Daryl Kerrigan... tell him he's dreamin' son!

Premium Member

Thanks

Nothing would surprise me to see that this specific combination has been approved and restricted to this combination and to specific users along with a slew of requirements as to the construction, length, mass, braking etc.
    Anything that isnt covered directly would then most likely be covered by the rules and regulations regarding Trailers in general.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Nothing would surprise me to see that this specific combination has been approved and restricted to this combination and to specific users along with a slew of requirements as to the construction, length, mass, braking etc.
    Anything that isnt covered directly would then most likely be covered by the rules and regulations regarding Trailers in general.
    The funny thing is, i have a mate that does "Road Train" some items on rare occasions, he had been pulled over twice.
    The policeman was just scratching his head, ask him if he had been drinking, mate said just a couple.....
    Officer replied, well just get home and disconnect that other trailer.

Probably too much trouble to look up the "code" to start the infringement notice.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (17-02-18),hazman (16-02-18),hogwort (24-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Never ask a 'Traffic' Policeman for information regarding road regulations.
    I asked the Motor Registry for some information (forgotten on what now) and was told to 'ask the Police as they administer all that now' so I did and GUESS what ???? Go ask the Motor Registry !!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (17-02-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I didn't know you are not allowed to "rope tow" any more, I'd happily do it again if needed. Mate towed me home to Adelaide from Barmera once when I blew up my gear box. If we were coming up to traffic lights or the like, I was able to stop his car smack on the line every time, even though I was the towee. We used his engine for towing and my brakes for stopping (nothing wrong with his brakes, just worked that we could keep the rope taut which made it a lot easier when moving off again.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

There are a couple of problems with towing a second trailer. The first being the total towed weight. Especially if a large caravan is involved. The total towed mass would probably exceed the rating of the tow vehicle
    The second would be the fact that no trailer has a tow rating
    Third would be braking. Getting the second trailer to brake first so it doesn't shove the first one all over the road when stopping in a hurry
    The forthwould be handling. Some people can't even get their one trailer to tow without swaying, A second trailer would just make that a whole lot worse
    Having more weight on the rear of the first trailer would cause it to sway.
    And lastly. Who the F**K wants all those stupid old C**ts dragging two trailers up the highway. Bad enough when they are towing just one
    If you can't run with the DOGS, Stay on the Porch

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevaclone For This Useful Post:

allover (25-03-18),tristen (25-03-18)