Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston Dynamics

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Default Can't wait until they have them on special at Officeworks:

I need the type with the arm of course

That Black Mirror episode was by far the best and the reason why I want these all the more.
    Not only to fend off unwanted visitors but also rogue robots.

Mine will of course be disconnected from the net as in all wifi/cellular hardware removed. They will only respond to my voice or special remotes, telemetry and FPV that I build.

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-04-19 at 04:34 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (17-04-19),Tiny (23-04-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

The steaks will be tough...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

allover (26-04-19),hinekadon (21-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

That Black Mirror episode was by far the best and the reason why I want these all the more.
    Not only to fend off unwanted visitors but also rogue robots.
    NO no no. I want them all dead.
    I am not giving skynet any more chances to fvck up my shit.
    Even robots for defence.... have you not see the terminator... one machine reprogramming others.
    And don't even get me started on the damn Cylons.
    They used to be clunky and dopey. Now they're Tricia Helfer kind of frickin' evil.
    And I'd go peacefully to extinction if they weren't in so much of a hurry.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-04-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I had to laugh when I saw that big truck full of batteries tethered to them
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    NO no no. I want them all dead.
    I am not giving skynet any more chances to fvck up my shit.
    Even robots for defence.... have you not see the terminator... one machine reprogramming others.
    And don't even get me started on the damn Cylons.
    They used to be clunky and dopey. Now they're Tricia Helfer kind of frickin' evil.
    And I'd go peacefully to extinction if they weren't in so much of a hurry.
    No no no way, humans will be obsolete in 50 years anyway.
    Time to upload our consciousness into something superior, for me at least, time is running out.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (23-04-19)

Thanks

Great ...... the stupilarity.

Humans are given the chance to upload their consciousness into machines.
    Artificial Intelligence will have nothing on a real kind of stupid.
    If you thought the matrix was abstract, imagine the Christian matrix where Jesus is real?
    That place is going to be fvcking messed up.

Though I suppose it will work out really well. We can put all the Christians on one VLAN and the Muslims on another.
    Then if there is sectarian problems we can just address mask the Sunnites from the Sheites and the Mormons from the Catholics etc.

hinekadon (23-04-19)

Thanks

I think you might have misunderstood the concept.
    Such an act would not be accepted by religions.
    Religious people do not need to upload their consciousness to hardware as they go to their 'heavens'.

Yes I am betting on human 'stupidity' sometimes aka 'creativity' of some sort will mess up AI and your Skynet, whoever will be managing that. Xi and Musk maybe?
    What's to stop me releasing parts of my
    consciousness to the networks like a virus while keeping other parts/copies physically offline in a lot of these dogs running on their own intranet.

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-04-19 at 10:04 PM.

hinekadon (23-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I think you might have misunderstood the concept.
    Nar, I got a pretty go grasp on it and all it's variants. Of course I don't discount some new variants.

[COLOR=#333333]Such an act would not be accepted by religions.[/quote]
    We need to catch you up on Black Mirror

So I see two sides to that coin.
    The first is the puritans. Those who see the uploading of consciousness (the soul) to a server as selling your soul and all the negative religious politics.
    The traditional religions like that Catholics will be big on this. You die he way we say god wants you to die.

The other is the a new age kind of religion. Where if you put in time and donations to "the church" they will upload you to "their" heaven server.
    They'll milk you dry of cash before they let you into heaven. And they can guarantee an afterlife. The Hill$ong type religions.

And I could run with with this one. What kind of hell really awaits you in the cyberlife ?

hinekadon (24-04-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

I have to ask / ------I have no beliefs in any faith and regard those with them with unspeakable wishes of misfortune does that mean that I Cant buy my way into one of their heavens for the afterlife not that I think it exists but as a backup plan ?????

Thanks

That would be one of the reasons why organised religion would not like it.
    If you can upload your consciousness and essentially live forever in the cyberverse, why do you need a heaven or religion?
    Hence, they will want you to die naturally in order to maintain their stranglehold on (a)morality.

A progressive religion will see it as an ability to fulfill their promise of an afterlife. They can host the server and tell their members that contributing to the church coffers pays to run the heaven server. Of course as the clergy of this church you can skim off the top of the cost of running "heaven".

A really good religion would look like the Catholics at the front door and look like the IT department of Scientology at the back door.

And my favorite twist. If you wanted to come back to visit the real world ..... we can upload you into one of these Boston Dynamics demons and you can terrorise the meatbags.

You thought the future might resemble The Matrix.
    This is what it is more likely to look like...
    Last edited by trash; 25-04-19 at 06:45 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (25-04-19),Tiny (25-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    And my favorite twist. If you wanted to come back to visit the real world ..... we can upload you into one of these Boston Dynamics demons and you can terrorise the meatbags.
    No you have not grasped my concept yet. I said A LOT of dogs, not one.And not a Matrix, all dogs experience and interact with the real world running my own intranet, that I experience at will.An isolated component of consciousness can also interfere with the internet.I can be everywhere, I AM God.No religions/sects will offer that.

hinekadon (26-04-19)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up ! But is there a time limit imposed on joining time to acceptance or is this purely related to the financial contributions one makes ????

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

So Nomeat, you can now have your own robot band Cool.

If you don't think they were really playing, this is testing ;

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (28-04-19),ol' boy (29-04-19),Uncle Fester (26-04-19)

Thanks

Cool? That is the definition of cool !

So my favorite past time is already sorted.
    I can't wait until I can play all the instruments at once

Thanks

Hehehe.... you're working my side of the street there nomeat.
    there can be only one god and we already know it's me

However, your love of musical instrument will be your downfall in when you get stuck forever in the Guitar Hero fractional cyberverse

Thanks

Actually, I just remembered that we're revisiting Black Mirror once again.

Monkey wants a hug !

Thanks

That was truely gruesome. I would rather be permanently shut down.

That is why I planned my hardware to be VERY DYNAMIC, hence the cool dogs and networked all over the place including the agility and power
    of the "musicians" from Tiny's post.
    And made of self replicating memory metal of course, rip off a leg and I will grow into a new God ...I mean doG.

Somehow I am thinking we will be building molecular replicators before a machine will have a true consciousness.

hinekadon (29-04-19)

Thanks

So in other words you want your logic to be like a raid array across the cloud.
    Oh you're really not going to like that idea either.

This kind of thinking (so to speak) will take you down a quantum physics clusterfvck.

So the simplest way to think about it .... if your in more than one place at once, then there is more than one of you and you will then start be different entities because of different experiences. Worse to come is that you become a recursive entity. The cloud quickly fills up with nothing but you. Congratulations - You're Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) from the Matrix !
    It gets worse, unlike Agent Smith who is like a multilevel marketed software, you (in the plural sense) now have to compete with the other versions of yourself for resources.
    The Matrix is your personal hell filled with nothing but you And you can't begin to imagine how much worse it will get as you enact natural selection against yourself.

There is of course another version of this story which is also fun and just as disturbing. Assuming that you can hold your shit together and not fragment or spawn or consume resources nor exhaust them like a bored Q in the roadside diner of the continuum.

This disturbing version actually is characteristic of your distributed software.
    Since different parts of it are physically separated by large distances, you suffer from a kind of time dilation. Different parts of your thinking receive information at different times and they then have to communicate across distance with similar lag. Shit gets weird. At the simplest level, it might look like a Bruce Lee audio dub were his lips don't sync to the audio.
    At the worst levels it's like watching an 8K version of a movie where the pixels are scrambled because they all come in at point in time. What results is pixelation of your existence in both directions, input and output.

Replicators - now there's a fun topic. Unfortunately this one doesn't scare me (yet).
    A replicator is a machine that can build itself or duplicate/replicate itself exactly and it has to be able to do this from raw materials.
    The only thing that can do this is bacteria and various single celled critters.

For a machine to be able to do this ... it ain't going to be a small machine. It tops out for complexity.
    Top heavy replicators are the size of asteroids.

Mid level replicators are hive machines. No one of them can replicate, they require the hive working together to replicate each type of machine in the hive.
    The complexity here is that the hive needs to co-ordinate. The trouble with the hive is if you remove it's tools, the hive dies because it has no ability to make new tools without tools.

The bottom level replicators are the Star Gate kind. They replicate only one base component and then that simple base component self assembles with other identical base components to make a variety of more complex machines some of which make base components. Any replicator in this family can be decompiled and it's base components retasked.
    This assumes that these types of replicators do not make anything that is not make from the base component. All tools and products are made from only one lego brick.

In each case, replicators aren't very practical critters. Their biggest problem is converting raw material into components. They just can't do it.
    Think of the lego bricks. How do you build a factory that makes plastic lego bricks, using only lego bricks to do it?
    This example relies on human brain power to solve the problem.

There's another version of replicators - scavengers. They recycle rather than mine for raw material.
    A scav would take apart old equipment to recover components which it then uses to build new machines.
    Those machines are not capable of making new components. They're cannibals and bottom feeders.

hinekadon (29-04-19)

Thanks

You are still cemented in this Matrix ...you shouldn't be!

My dogs are in the real world and form a network that I will just call THE BRAIN, actually just a SINGLE entity that shares a lot of hosts.

If you look at the biological mush in our heads you will find a network that is quite similar.

All the information is wired together but not at the same place if you look a lot closer(microscopically).
    New connections of the same information are created all the time and the more they fire together the more they wire together ... where did I hear that before?
    Anyhow this is how memory is cemented in our brains and it is all over the place (within certain limits) and this wiring may not always be identical, just similar.
    The plurality of this information does not make us go crazy and also ensures that when brain cells die, we do NOT forget something.

Unlike computer memory where information is exactly located, defined and addressable, our brain connections are in a more chaotic order and sometimes appear quite randomly, which is what I would call 'thinking' where new fires and wires are connected.

I believe this chaos could be the actual core to consciousness.
    Quantum computing could be the answer to getting this to work as organised chaos is what it is all about, being at different places at the same time, etc.

Organised chaos has always been my lifestyle choice, you should see the mess in my garage and workshop/office but I usually find my stuff in seconds.

Sure, the amount of sensor information to process with having all these hosts at different locations will be a challenging multitask, just get used to it, responding to things one by one.
    Yes, time dilation if they are far apart may create weird echo effects when I decide to leave this planet but don't forget I am continually evolving, should find a way to deal with that. Never said it will be easy to be a TRUE doG.

The Dogs will have plenty of automation for their motoric, basic function, survival, etc. Just like we breath and regulate our heart correctly without thinking about it. Hell they could even do tasks for people. I will only intervene when I need that particular dog physically for my needs. If anybody tries to mess with them, their automated survival algorithm will kick in.

For the replicators I was thinking of a subtractive approach:
    100% controllable fission, slicing off single protons and neutrons from heavier elements to create the required elements. Good bye to a stable Gold price.

Then a universal bonding process to combine them to the desired molecules and the more or less standard 3D printers and Lasers to form the parts.

All we really need is a lot of energy and some rocks, with a bit of lead in it if we want gold.

I like gold.
    I want my doGs to be gold plated so they don't corrode and not waste time and energy replicating the whole time
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-04-19 at 01:45 PM.

hinekadon (29-04-19)

Thanks

Your dog's network has a limitation. Each dog is contained. It's conscious cannot move into another dog.
    So what you're describing in that case is that your mind resides in one computer and information comes to it.

Again with the matrix (and when I say matrix, I am only using it as an analogue for a big imaginary future network).
    Neo isn't part of the matrix, he's just plugged into the edge router and the matrix interacts with him.
    So what you're suggesting is that instead of being wetware, you're uploaded into a USB stick and that USB stick plugs into the matrix.
    Remember that while memory and mind is distributed across a brain as a whole, it's still localised.

If it is distributed with any sort of spatial distance, then you introduce problems.
    If that consciousness is mobile, then it suffers from either quantum issues or duplication issues.

But assuming that you're just stuck in the USB stick and that USB stick will not run out of resources, then the matrix supplying you with stimulation and interaction should in theory look like reality. How real or how unreal it behaves may cause it's citizens problems.

The replicators .... subatomic mining. If you don't have any limits on science fiction, then anything is possible.
    I tend to limit replicator sci-fi to real technology.

The Matrix example might seem like the opposite, but it's not really sci-fi that is the subject, but rather how the human mind functions.
    When you fvck with it, bad shit happens. The sci-fi just gives you the ability to push it to the thought experiment to the extreme.

Black Mirror does it well. A person is uploaded to the box and is now enslaved since they cannot escape the box.
    If they can escape the box, then literally pandora's box is opened. You're on the loose.
    The person uploaded to the box is enslaved with a job. They refuse. The person in the real world has a very simple way to make them comply.
    They press a button.
    In the real world 1 minute passes. In the box, 6 months passes with no input or output. Imagine being locked in a dark weightless room with absolutely no stimulation for 6 months.
    It takes solitary confinement to the absolute extreme.
    When the person comes back online after 1 minute in the real world, they will do ANYTHING they are told as long as they do not experience that deprivation of everything ever again.

It's fun to think about it. You're optimistic about it.

St Peter is the guy who stands at the gates of heaven. I'm the guy who stands at the gates of hell and pats you on the back.
    The interesting thing is that they look the same and you cannot tell the difference until it's too late

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast