Thread: Mobile RAM memory.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Mobile RAM memory.

For a number of reasons I will have to upgrade my 2 mobiles sooner or later. The prime reason is they are both 3G and its going to be switched off in the near future.
    One phone I have is a Medion sold by Aldi and it has a very limited memory for storing of Apps etc even though it takes an additional SD Card.

My Son suggested a Samsung Galaxy J1 (2016) which if I have read the spec's correctly has 1GB RAM, 8GB Internal plus what ever the TF Card can hold.
    This looks more than suitable for my needs and at a good price too.

According to the specs it has a head set jack which is vital as I cant hear the Medion without them and even the audio its not great.

Any one got any thoughts on this model or similar?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Gordon,

A family member has that exact model and it's a great performer IMHO.

Yes, it has 1GB Ram, 8GB Rom, with usable memory of 4.1GB (eg: what's left to use after the operating system, etc) plus it takes a MicroSD card up to 128GB for additional storage.

As a basic phone, it has a very good display and battery run time is reasonable.

It covers all the new freq bands.

For the price, an excellent buy.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (24-02-18),Tiny (23-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, I have run into almost the same memory problem with a Laptop (Unisurf) Aldi sold recently with the operating system taking up much of the memory that I cant do a update to it.
    Thanks for that info MTV, sounds like it will do the job nicely.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Gordon,

A family member has that exact model and it's a great performer IMHO.

Yes, it has 1GB Ram, 8GB Rom, with usable memory of 4.1GB (eg: what's left to use after the operating system, etc) plus it takes a MicroSD card up to 128GB for additional storage.

As a basic phone, it has a very good display and battery run time is reasonable.

It covers all the new freq bands.

For the price, an excellent buy.
    Thanks for that mtv, I was just considering this for my elderly friend/neighbor.
    He doesn't need all the processing power or memory as with the higher priced phones & the price for this new phone is way better than most second hand phones!!

The only thing I can see lacking is the 5MP camera, but hey, I doubt he uses the phone camera anyway, guess I'll ask when he comes to visit Sunday.

Funny; that it doesn't seem that long ago 5Mp was an expensive digital camera, never mind included in a phone. lol.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Tiny, I remember my first Digital camera was less than 2Mp and would only take 80 'exposures' (no SD card then) then it was proposed that the 'Industry Standard' for Digital cameras in phones would be under 3 Mp and 3Mp and above for dedicated cameras.
    How things have changed.

My Son was going to buy one of those Samsung Phones but their out of stock ALSO according to the store staff, they are 'LOCKED' to Telstra and the ALDIMOBILE SIM card wont work.
    Aldimobile like many others shares the Telstra Network so is this another typical dose of Telstra Shop stupidity?
    I already have one AldiMobile card in an old Telstra phone, I even had the number 'ported' over to Aldi.

Another bloody annoyance as I have to go into the Telstra shop and get the damned handset activated in person........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 24-02-18 at 11:41 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

The one I purchased was from JB hi-fi and wasn't locked.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (24-02-18),Tiny (24-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

I rang HN and GUESS WHAT ?? It aint bleeding Locked NOR do I have to 'Activate' the phone as claimed by those in the Telstra shop.
    I ordered this model from HN and decided to pick it up 'In Store' rather than have it posted ($10) to me here.
    The Telstra shop is only a few doors away from HN and if I can manage it when I pick the phone up from HN next week, put in the Aldi card and wave it under their bloody dopey noses showing it aint locked nor does it need activation as they claim !!!!

It is the SIM card that must be activated NOT the handset itself!!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 24-02-18 at 02:51 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Providing the sim card you have physically fits the new phone (Micro-SIM), it should work without doing anything else.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (24-02-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

The 'New ALDIMobile SIM card is 'CUT' to fit SIM, Micro SIM and Nano SIM so all you have to do is select the size you want and insert it into the holder.
    At present, the Aldi Medion phone I intend to replace with this Samsung uses the full sized SIM card which wont take a moment to 'pop out' the middle and insert it into the Samsung.

Premium Member

Thanks

A continuation of my other postings.

As you have seen previously I want to replace a mobile and have ordered a Samsung Galaxy J1 (16) last Saturday (24/02) and I was to be advised when it arrived at the store.
    When I ordered it I was advised that 'It would arrive next week'.
    Nothing heard so as I was going out for an hour or 2 this morning (Fri), I rang the store and GUESS WHAT, its THERE, arrived yesterday (thurs) !!!
    Total surprise when I said they were to ring me......duh............
    Went to town, picked up phone and came home to set it up.
    Battery had 23% charge so I slipped in the SIM card (WARNING, the carrier seemed overly big for the SIM card) plus I put it in the wrong way the first time.
    Sorted that out but I had no Network Connection so I rang ALDIMOBILE and she wanted the numbers on the actual SIM card to ensure it was the right one.
    SIM VERY Carefully reinserted, battery in, Power on and when I turned it face up, I saw the inscription 'Flight Mode' on the screen.
    I told the operator and directed me into Settings and to turn OFF, Flight Mode (which was ON, Wifi and Bluetooth, which I did and I now had 2 Signal bars and Aldi Mobile as my Carrier.
    It fluctuates between 3G and 4G depending where I am in the house, it keeps 2 bars which is not as good as the 3 bars the Aldi Median it is replacing use to display.
    Most of you would have twigged what was causing the phone to show No Network but at 'First Turnon', it never occurred to me to check that setting as I have never used it.
    This phone has a far better Audio level than the Median did as I can hear it on Loudspeaker.

Good points are,
    This Phone is NOT carrier specific,
    It can use a 3rd Party SIM, like Aldimobile without any problems.

I just want to add a few more App's and that will be it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-03-18 at 06:11 PM.