Thread: Vast update trap for UEC users

Thanks

Exclamation Vast update trap for UEC users

Hi all,
    Though I would post this after pulling half my hair out and buying a new 4639 1TB box unnecessarily.
    My existing 4639 box failed on me, when plugged in it would flash dl a couple of times then shut down. As i live in the bush, i am a prospector, i rely on my sat tv so i went into town and bought a new 4639 1TB box.
    After the smart card got authorised, everything was fine until it tried to do a OTA update, said rebooting IRD and then locked up same as my old box.
    The only way i could get it to boot up was to do the manual usb update procedure then power down and back up and it would work fine for about an hour then would try to update again with the same problem.

Was getting very frustrated with this whole thing and was ready to burn the thing lol.
    I have finally sorted it all out so wanted to let you know.
    These boxes will not do the update thing if it is connected via hdmi to the tv.
    I connected via AV cables, did an OTA update and it all went fine.
    So if your box is refusing to power up, do the manual update via USB procedure, (you dont need a usb stick in) then repower the unit after it comes up with the errors from the usb update procedure, once booted and working disconnect your hdmi cable(use AV) then do an OTA update and it will go fine.
    Reconnect your hdmi cable and away you go.

Hope this helps if you get caught like I did.

Cheers, Peter.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prospectorpete For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (25-02-18),jules456 (25-02-18),puca (27-02-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have had a problem with one of my now aging UEC's showing no signal on the TV screen.
    For some reason I tried the RCA lead and it works.
    I havent got around to sorting it out yet so I dont know if its a cable, UEC, HDMI, TV problem.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I somehow doubt it has anything to do with HDMI or any cable connected to a TV at all, as the received update is directly off the satellite.

Unless it's really some bizarre requirement, I think it is more likely just coincidence it happened to work with HDMI connected to the TV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I somehow doubt it has anything to do with HDMI or any cable connected to a TV at all, as the received update is directly off the satellite.

Unless it's really some bizarre requirement, I think it is more likely just coincidence it happened to work with HDMI connected to the TV.
    Well whilst i would normally agree with you, the hdmi being connected will stop OTA, I have had it on 2 boxes so far with the latest update to 24 bouquets.
    I Know it sounds strange but that is what happened, it sees there is an update but wont reboot if HDMI is connected. Doesn't really surprise considering some of the strange things these UEC boxes do.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

I agree completely.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Sorry, I misread your post.

You're saying it won't update when an HDMI cable IS plugged into a TV.

It really shouldn't matter if the cable is connected or not, but perhaps there is something quirky happening with HDCP signals that interferes with the data transfer of the OTA firmware updates.

It shouldn't be an issue, but HDMI has been known to do odd things at times.

Thanks

As i live in the bush, i am a prospector
    Me too Pete, but part time these days. I'm sure I have seen your posts on the prospecting forums over the years.

I don't bother with TV while prospecting the Golden Triangle in my VW T5 Camper, but have excellent mobile booster system (legal) so the net provides video, etc when in range.
    4.6m C band dish, numerous Strong boxes, GTsat V8 Nova and even an old BMAC somewhere ---