Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motorized Ku setup recommendations?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You must be doing something wrong.

Pointing to a particular satellite will vary depending on your location, so you can't accurately go by somebody else's settings, unless they are perhaps a next door neighbour and using the exact same model of dish and motor and even they you need to fine-tune.

I suggest you post your location, plus a series of pics showing all the settings of your dish and motor plus a full description of how you have determined those settings.

Thanks

I'm in Melb and I'm just doing exactly what dishpointer says nothing else

Moteck SG2100

Dish Setup Data
    Motor Latitude: -37.8° (Set that on the motor haven't touched it since)
    Declination Angle: 6.0°
    Dish Elevation: 24° (Set that with the inclinometer on the dish)
    Azimuth (true): 0.0°
    Azimuth (magn.): -11.8° (Set true north as best as I could)

No doubt I'm doing something wrong just no idea what it could be.
    Last edited by nullb; 29-04-18 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nullb View Post
    No doubt I'm doing something wrong just no idea what it could be.
    I am not sure you get elevation and True North angles right.
    Normally, I would suspect your elevation should be 40 degrees minus declination but I could be wrong. You need to check that.
    Also, True north is positive angle, not negative. Please check direction you move your setup.

I found 10 year old thread with a lot of practical information provided - have a look there, maybe it will hint you where you got it wrong.

Please remember, the theory works. H-H Motek motors allow all visible satellites along Clarke belt so don't give up. If it doesn't work for you it means you are doing something wrong. Quite often people rush through small steps either considering them not important or trully believing they are done correctly. Unfortunately, if it doesn't work, you need to redo the entire alignment otherwise you risk missing the small step which was wrong.

Thanks

Pretty sure the True North isn't an issue since I eye-ball it with Google maps and use a compass to make sure, defiantly the right direction

Thanks for the thread I'm gonna try again in a few hours.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Dish Elevation: 24° (Set that with the inclinometer on the dish)
    This may be where you're going wrong.

If you are using an inclinometer, that would be fine for a prime-focus dish, but I'm assuming you're using an offset dish, so you are not taking into account the offset angle.

You need to be setting the 24° dish elevation by the scale on the dish mounting bracket.... not with an inclinometer.

Thanks

I'm not sure if it was that in the end to be honest since my inclinometer was around 24 in the end.

It turns out I was probably just putting it in the wrong place 56E on the motor, at 12E I was getting Optus C1. So I swung it around and perfected that ect..

And it's all good, right now all I've found is Optus C1 and Int 19. But since they're both at the start and end of the respective scope I'm pretty confident I've got it fully working
    Will scan for the rest soon but watching some stuff on Int 19 atm, Ch 9 is feeding some stuff now if anybody is interested.

The mistake I made was using the manual button on the motor just hook a PC up and set your lat/log in EBS and have it set the right position for the sat you're trying to lock first none of this true north shit wave it around till you get something

Thanks

So far this is what I've managed to get a hold of, switching between Optus and the non-Optus sats is troubling due to the skew not sure how I'm going to solve that. I think I may have to weld on another LNB or build some kind of skew motor.

Got a perfect arch track though, the bracket the motor comes with is still lose, pile of crap u-bracket. Going to head down to Bunnings and pick up some better galvanized ones.
    I've stripped the bloody thing 6 ways from Sunday while moving it around as well.

95.0E NSS 6*
    105.5E Asiasat 7*
    122.0E AsiaSat 9
    152.0E Optus D2
    156.0E Optus C1/D3
    160.0E Optus D1
    164.0E Optus 10*
    166.0E Intelsat 19
    172.0E Eutelsat 172B*
    174.0E Eutelsat 174A*
    180.0E Intelsat 18
    140.0E NBN-Co 1A*
    142.0E APSTAR 9*
    148.0E Measat 2*
    177.0E Yamal 300K*
    180.0E Inmarsat-5F3*

*No active DVB feeds but RF scan found them

Update: found them all, if anybody knows of any I'm missing let me know!

All hail USALS though, that saved me

Thanks everybody who helped me with this
    Last edited by nullb; 30-04-18 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks

How are you detecting anything on these?

174.0E Eutelsat 174A*
    140.0E NBN-Co 1A*
    142.0E APSTAR 9*
    148.0E Measat 2*
    177.0E Yamal 300K*
    180.0E Inmarsat-5F3*

Thanks

Crazyscan, couple of them had some bitrate but no DVB

Can marry some of the results up with what's posted here as well - I think most of those transponders are off though or perhaps I'm not getting some at all.
    Last edited by nullb; 01-05-18 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks

Congrats Nulb on your motorised dish setup.

When I setup mine, after I set the motor and dish setup for my area I simply used USALS on my PC and told it to find C1. Then I manually adjusted the dish on the mount so it actually was on C1 (easiest to find). Then I made minor corrections to everything and kept moving to other Sats (with the buttons on the motor) to ensure I was on the ARC. I was amazed when I could track AS4, D2, D1,C1/D3, IS19,10, IS18. I now don't rely on USALS I save individual positions and fine tune but it was a good starting point. I assume you did something similar.

Oh BTW EBS Pro used to have a bug where it calculated the USALS position wrong for our side of the world. I contacted the author and he was very helpful, asked me to provide some data, sent me an updated version, I confirmed it worked and then updated the software for all. Not sure if it's still being developed!!!
    Last edited by backer; 05-05-18 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by backer View Post
    Congrats Nulb on your motorised dish setup.

When I setup mine, after I set the motor and dish setup for my area I simply used USALS on my PC and told it to find C1. Then I manually adjusted the dish on the mount so it actually was on C1 (easiest to find). Then I made minor corrections to everything and kept moving to other Sats (with the buttons on the motor) to ensure I was on the ARC. I was amazed when I could track AS4, D2, D1,C1/D3, IS19,10, IS18. I now don't rely on USALS I save individual positions and fine tune but it was a good starting point. I assume you did something similar.

Oh BTW EBS Pro used to have a bug where it calculated the USALS position wrong for our side of the world. I contacted the author and he was very helpful, asked me to provide some data, sent me an updated version, I confirmed it worked and then updated the software for all. Not sure if it's still being developed!!!
    Thanks man, your previous posts and help via pm on what I can expect to find really helped me pull the trigger and was a great guide on what to expect up there

Ah nice about EBS, I'm using CrazyScan more and more having some trouble with LNB LOF but I'm using a Sharp LNB from Foxtel so I think it just doesn't play nice sometimes. Should just go grab one of my universal never had issues with those.
    I'm gonna do some more searching once my Inverto one comes. What LOF settings do you use in EBS if you still use it? Maybe I just set it up wrong, sometimes it wont switch between H/V polarity and doubles up. Super weird.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

....sometimes it wont switch between H/V polarity and doubles up. Super weird.
    Perhaps the switching is taking place but the skew is incorrect for the satellite in question.

Incorrect LNB skew adjustment will result in the symptoms you describe.

As earlier advised optimum LNB(F) skew setup for any Optus satellite will result in less than optimum skew for other satellites.

As a general rule, all satellites in the Asia-Pacific region will have on-board antennae set up correctly for their particular longitude. However all of the Optus satellites have incorrect on-board alignment, thus requiring non-standard LNB skew for maximum received signal.

Previous threads in this section explain this at length. SEARCH.

Thanks

What LOF settings do you use in EBS if you still use it? Maybe I just set it up wrong, sometimes it wont switch between H/V polarity and doubles up. Super weird.
    I use a universal LNB (so I can pick up some of the French channels on IS18 KU so for EBSpro I just select KU_Linear and it puts in the the correct LOF1/LOF2 and LOF SW settings. Though when I used a standard 10.7 I think I had to use custom and repeat the same figure for LOF1 and LOF2.What another user has said is correct though if you have compromised the skew in order to receive both Optus and Non Optus you will get weird results as only receiving one polarity and getting the same results on both V and H (though one will usually be stronger then the other). I have learned to accept this and just go for what I want to receive the most.

Thanks

Interesting yeah that probably makes sense I knew about the skew for Optus being way off but I didn't know that was a symptom. Did they deliberately make that mistake? I wonder if Optus 10 will be correct, seems to be a lot more normal than regular Optus skew anyway.

I'm going to put a second LNB on for Optus eventually, but what I'm getting right now signal wise is pretty perfect on just about everything.

Thanks

Inverto Black Ultra came today, very impressed with it getting +3-4 on my signal strength vs the Sharp LNBF on my motorized setup with the skew at about 50 (So I can get Optus and Non-Optus).

Really nice packaging and seems like very good build quality, it's got a very long neck and it's actually cheaper than what you'd pay for a Sharp LNB locally so I'd recommend it.

In the end my setup is:
    Motek DiSEgC 1.2 H-H Motor (Powertech is a good substitute, if you can't find them they got discontinued a while ago)
    Inverto Black Ultra LNBF
    Azure Shine 80cm Offset dish (Special oval one which is apparently the same as a 90cm with it's design, I DO!! want to upgrade to their 120cm one if I can find it in Melb)
    UltraPlus 1000+ (At the TV, controls the motor and gets me all the high SR feeds ABC/SBS/Ch9 without issue)
    TBS 6902 (In my PC behind the TV for blind-scanning and what not)
    Got a $5 bag of cable-end protectors to put on the cables going into the LNBF as well just because... the motor came with some for the motor input so why not protect all ends.
    Generic heavy shield coax
    Weather and sun proof cable ties
    Galvanized pole which came with the house and is older than I am lol, double bolted into the roof and comes out of the tiles with a lead tile cover.

All in all doesn't cost a lot especially if you get the dish second hand like I did, probably $200 all up not including the card and UP.

For anybody looking to get into Ku-Band reception this is a great setup that gives you plenty of flexibility, lot of fun installing it and having tons of fun blind-scanning..

Now onto the c-band setup

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123