Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ask an American 'Gun Nut' anything, aka does the rest of the world understand us?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by technoweenie View Post

How is one supposed to protect oneself from gov't if you don't have the same tools they have? I own an AK47 variant, multiple pistols, and some other 'toys'.... Of course, I find shooting to be a hobby as well.. Guns are a right and a responsibility.

When are you getting your drone? Your F-22, your supercomputer? You're more of a danger to yourselves than your government.

I agree with Onefella, we don't care that much anymore about your kids if you don't. You obviously have acceptable losses.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (07-03-18),mandc (06-03-18),Onefella (06-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    When are you getting your drone? Your F-22, your supercomputer? You're more of a danger to yourselves than your government.

I agree with onefella, we don't care that much anymore about your kids if you don't. You obviously have acceptable losses.
    This point is usually brought up..

I would ask you to look at the Mujaheddin vs Soviet troops in Afghanistan, and the VC in Vietnam.

The other advantage of a home grown war, if you wanna call it that... is the people would easily be able to find out who works where, and who their family is. Kinda hard to bomb your own countrymen when your wife and son are being held hostage. War is bloody. There is a saying about the tree of liberty and watering it with the blood of patriots and tyrants..

That's of course, absolute extreme example...

Have any of you heard of the Battle of Athens, TN ?
    Last edited by technoweenie; 06-03-18 at 11:15 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't envy you if you are so paranoid that you think you will go to war against your own country....

Good luck with that.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (07-03-18)

Thanks

at the end of the day the discussion of guns with americans now falls into the catagory
    that my grandfather told me to never get into a discussion about because people are so
    one sided and mind fked about it

1: religion
    2: politics
    3: sexual preference
    and now Gun control

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

This point is usually brought up..

I would ask you to look at the Mujaheddin vs Soviet troops in Afghanistan, and the VC in Vietnam.
    The Mujihadeen only survived by massive USA backing. VC only survived by massive Chinese and Russian backing. Which country will back your so called unbeatable Militia?
    Last edited by mandc; 07-03-18 at 07:52 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

enf (07-03-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gawd...the bullsh*t rolls on................

lsemmens (07-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

I dont think the gun problem in the states is as big as everyone makes out. Ive worked and travelled extensively across the USA and didnt see hoards of people carrying guns . Last year i only saw 2 - one was in a womans's handbag in New York , and the other on a gun rack in the back on an F100 in Texas. I dont believe in people owning automatic weapons but if its legal then its legal.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    I dont think the gun problem in the states is as big as everyone makes out. Ive worked and travelled extensively across the USA and didnt see hoards of people carrying guns . Last year i only saw 2 - one was in a womans's handbag in New York , and the other on a gun rack in the back on an F100 in Texas. I dont believe in people owning automatic weapons but if its legal then its legal.
    Perhaps you should have gone to school there.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

allover (07-03-18),Megabytexts (07-03-18)

Thanks

I don't envy you if you are so paranoid that you think you will go to war against your own country....

Good luck with that.
    Paranoid? No.

Prepared? Yes.

I see it more of a threat to keep gov't in line. We, at absolute last resort, have the option to take up arms.

Why do you think gov't wants to take them? lol.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I dont think the gun problem in the states is as big as everyone makes out. Ive worked and travelled extensively across the USA and didnt see hoards of people carrying guns .
    Concealed carry?

Thanks

Hammers and bricks kill more people than rifles do. Knives kill more people than rifles do..

Cars kill more people than guns do.
    Alcohol kills more people than guns do.
    Medical malpractice kills more people than guns do.
    Smoking kills more people than guns do.
    Obesity kills more people than guns do.
    (Illegal) Drug overdoses kill more people than guns do.

Odds are, I'll die by a heart attack..

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Odds are, I'll die by a heart attack..
    Maybe, but you at least survived being an acceptable casualty at school....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Concealed carry?

It depends on the state.

Some states, like CA, NY, or MD, it's near impossible to get one.. In other states, they're required to be issued unless the requester has a disabling factor like a felony or mental health issues. Still other states have constitutional carry and don't require a permit to conceal carry. Open carry is legal in the vast majority of states. Estimates in some states are as high in 1 in 5 being armed.

Washington state I think is a good example of a state, having a mix of urban and rural areas.

At the end of 2016, there were a little over 600,000 Concealed Pistol Licenses that were currently issued...With a population of (rounded up) 7.3 million... That comes out to roughly 1 in 12. Statistically speaking, if everyone that had a pistol license carried, out of every 12 people you saw, one of them was armed, and you probably didn't know it.

Obviously those statistics will be skewed, as in downtown Seattle a lot of people won't be armed, and likewise in outskirts of Yakima most people will be armed, further pushing the rural vs urban debate, but they are out there.

Thanks

Maybe, but you at least survived being an acceptable casualty at school....
    In 2014, according to the CDC, 2,626,418 people died.

In that same year... 7... Yes... SEVEN died in 'school shootings'.... That includes BS statistics like a guy committing suicide in the school parking lot in his car on a sunday night, or a drug deal gone wrong on a college campus.

The left wing uses BS incidents like these and defines them as school shootings.... (also 2014)

Police found an unidentified 20-year-old man shot and injured on campus next to a residence hall after an intramural basketball game. Law enforcement did not identify an assailant.

An unknown assailant shot and killed Jordan Kearney, 20, inside a vehicle in the parking lot of the school. Kearney lived across the street from the school. Law enforcement have not determined the identity of the assailant nor made any arrests.
    I mean, seriously? Someone found on a college campus with a bullet wound is a 'school shooting'?

A guy that lived across the street from school is shot, and that's a 'school shooting'?

That's disingenuous, at best..

Super Moderator
    Thanks

No, the school massacres we read about every other day....like I said, acceptable losses.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

technoweenie, well you seem to have all the arguments for gun culture sorted out. You might have noticed that there is very little support here for your dogmatic position, so what are you hoping to achieve with this discussion? Personally I think your arguments are paranoid at worst, and blithe rhetoric at best.

The fact remains that most developed countries have restrictions on gun ownership and rarely, if ever, have mass shootings. America has 'minor' mass shooting every other week, and 'majour' shootings a couple of times a year. America is unique in this phenomenon outside countries at war. As others and I have mentioned, if you're ok with it, fine. Acceptable losses. I get it. Return to your fevered dream.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

enf (07-03-18),Skepticist (07-03-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    .........................Return to your fevered dream.
    But make sure you face the door.

Onefella (07-03-18)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I don't know about the rest of the world but...
    I don't understand why every man and his dog thinks it's ok to wander around with a gun.
    I mean I'd think twice about having a holiday in the US just in case some nutter decided to shoot at me.
    I love America as in Texas once I saw a guy that had two different guns on both hips. now I say why two why have them exposed so everyone can see them (plenty of AMMO TOO) and after this I though about Australian and having two guns on my hip and I said NOOOOOO this will not happen. Now a minute later two cops walk in and spoke to the guy and they had a conversation and they took each others gun out (Aca they were comparing how big his DICK was) and the guy removed the clip out and click it back in and the other cop had a go and did the same he removed the clip and clipped it back in and after this all went there merry way. OOOH I forgot to say. The second cop was a Female.

It Only happens in AMERICA so let them live the way they want. No body ever talks about how many people die over there in car accidents. We have a few Yank friends and they still think we have Kangaroo shopping with us as we walk down the road. I love America they even get the Best TV's in the world ( I want there proposed Sony 75 Inch Z9F) and yet we wont get it here in Oz so let them have their guns as they also get the biggest Tv's. LOL.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    technoweenie, well you seem to have all the arguments for gun culture sorted out. You might have noticed that there is very little support here for your dogmatic position, so what are you hoping to achieve with this discussion? Personally I think your arguments are paranoid at worst, and blithe rhetoric at best.

The fact remains that most developed countries have restrictions on gun ownership and rarely, if ever, have mass shootings. America has 'minor' mass shooting every other week, and 'majour' shootings a couple of times a year. America is unique in this phenomenon outside countries at war. As others and I have mentioned, if you're ok with it, fine. Acceptable losses. I get it. Return to your fevered dream.
    Just think if America, if they arm forces will ever go away (NOT EVER LIKELY), just imagine a Country trying to invade the US even the Catholic Priest will have a AK47. Now look at Australia if the same Happens or armed forces will disappear in three weeks (Run out of fuel in two weeks according to the retired General said this on tv) and we only have out Dicks to use to defend us (used dicks that twice today). We only care about people that die with gun related deaths in Australia but what about the roads and the people that die on our lousy roads, what about the drugs culture we have, what about any other problem that kills people by the drove. We only think about the Solders that have died in Afghanistan but we don't care about the ones that come back from there and have committed suicide which is a lot more than the 40 (or more) that have died other there.

Thanks

Look at what's happening in South Africa.. The gov't is stealing land from white farmers, farmers are being attacked and killed. Out of control gov't exists in modern times. This isn't a 50 or 100 or 200 yrs ago 'thing'....

• Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast