Thread: Connect Foxtel IQ2 > LG dvd recorder via "component to SCART" cable/adapter possible?

Thanks

Default Connect Foxtel IQ2 > LG dvd recorder via "component to SCART" cable/adapter possible?

Hi there,

I recently had a faulty Foxtel IQ1.5 box which I have since replaced with the Foxtel IQ2. Unfortunately, this Foxtel IQ2 model has not got the dual SCART outputs like the Foxtel IQ1.5 does. When I had the old Foxtel 1.5 box, I could easily connect between the foxtel IQ1.5 box and link with my United Kingdom dvd recorder model, the LG-RHT599h recorder via SCART. The picture quality is great as with the SCART connection I could get a component video quality. I use the LG recorder to record foxtel shows onto my lg's dvd recorder hard drive and burn them to disc.

But now with my replacement unit, the Foxtel IQ2, this IQ2 box is the most recent version, it has a 1TB hard drive, but it does not have the dual SCART output that I needed. It however has the component output and composite output. I tried looking via google search and I cannot find any cable or adapter that fits to my liking, either the cable is a "SCART to component" or the adapter only carry "component video only, no audio". Can you recommend me either a "component to SCART" cable or "component to SCART" adapter for me to use, thanks.

this looks good, but it does not support audio:

the picture on the right looks interesting, but i cannot find this product anywhere:

the picture below looks interesting, but again i cannot find this product anywhere:

I bought this product from selby, the ISIX scart/component cable "iht2240", the product claims the cable to be "switchable", but it is only switchable for the "composite" side only

The back of my Foxtel IQ2 looks like this - note the lack of SCART outputs:

The back of my LG dvd recorder looks like this, the lg recorder's blue SCART input [ AV2 ] can accept up to component video quality:
    Last edited by yabbitboy; 11-03-18 at 12:10 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The below product seems to have what I need, but it is sold out. In fact I cant find it anywhere such as ebay :-(

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Try from WES Components (product code VC28 or VC29). I still carry these in my van for legacy products.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Try from WES Components (product code VC28 or VC29). I still carry these in my van for legacy products.

Hi there, thanks for the help, but I checked that the "VC28 / VC 29" is for "SCART to component" - the product "SCART to component" is very common to find around the internet. The product I am after is the "component to SCART" which I am finding it very rare to find anywhere on the internet these days.

edit: on further inspection, it looks like it the Component side might be "bi-directional" as it shows a double arrow, but unfortunately this is not the same for the audio. So even I tried the "VC28/VC/29" I would most likely not get any sound.
    Last edited by yabbitboy; 11-03-18 at 12:16 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yabbitboy For This Useful Post:

TVguy (11-03-18),xapi (11-03-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my behalf. With a bit of effort you could swap pins 1 & 3 to pins 2 & 6.
    Alteratively you could request a TDx850 IQ2 box from Foxtel (I have done this in the past), which is populated with two SCART sockets.
    Last edited by TVguy; 11-03-18 at 12:45 PM.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding on my behalf. With a bit of effort you could swap pins 1 & 3 to pins 2 & 6.
    Alteratively you could request a TDx850 IQ2 box from Foxtel (I have done this in the past), which is populated with two SCART sockets.
    When my Foxtel IQ1.5 broke down, the foxtel staff offered me the IQ2 at no extra cost since I am a longtime foxtel member, I also asked them there are 2 different models of the IQ2 - one the has the dual SCART outputs [ 850 model ], and the recent "SCARTless" model [ 851 model ]. I asked the foxtel staff that I needed the older model version "850" which had the SCART and they said they would mail it to me. When I got the IQ2 in the mail, what I was given not the one they had promised me, they sent me the "851" model. I later called the foxtel staff and I said was sent the wrong model version and to send me the "850" model, but foxtel staff said the "850" was a discontinued product :-(

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

All those you show USED to be sold in the '$2 ' Shops like Clint's, Clint's Crazy prices, Base Warehouse, The Warehouse,Cheep as Chips, Reject shop etc.
    I am NO expert so follow directions of MTV or TVguy who do this for a living but I found what works 'One way' may work the other.
    Splitters, couplers, combiners, joiners etc, SCART to RCA and/or DIN and so forth have no idea which way a signal is going.

The only hassle I had one time was with a VCR that used a DIN type plug for the Audio and REVERSED the connection.
    Say the 'standard' DIN configuration facing the plug is Audio In, Earth centre, Audio Out., this was reversed. to Audio Out, Earth centre, Audio In.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yabbitboy View Post
    The below product seems to have what I need, but it is sold out. In fact I cant find it anywhere such as ebay :-(

I managed to get this cable from - I tried this cable and this also doesnt work..

On closer inspection of the foxtel IQ2 unit and my LG dvd recorder unit:

Foxtel IQ2 has "Component Output" - ypbpr

My lg Recorder has "RGB input" [ ie: the Blue colour Scart input ]

I m guessing Component > RGB is not compatable? Would I need a transcoder like this?
    Last edited by yabbitboy; 06-04-18 at 08:49 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I hope I am wrong and there is a way around what you want to achieve but I have been under the impression recording FROM STB's like IQ2/3 and Mystar were not provided.
    You could plug a TV/Monitor into those outputs (Component/HDMI/RGB) but not a recording devise.
    Harking back to when DVD players were coming onto the market, You could not plug a DVD into a VCR to play through (not record) to a TV with no 'inputs' other and the Antenna as they had made the DVD put out a signal that scrambled the picture while it was connected to a VCR.

On RCA plugs, I look to Yellow as being the Video and Red for Right channel Audio and White for Left.
    Have a look at the panel where the connectors are and SOMETIMEs they show BOTH like Y will be the same (video) and then going from Left to right, read first R and then W.
    I have found some devices dint like just connecting the Y (Video) in alone until either the R or W was connected.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Am I missing something? Why not use HDMI to Scart? I know one is digital, but there appear to be converters.

I have a HDMI to HDMI recording device for HD transferring from my IQ2. Mine is no longer made ASFIK.

But there are issues with HDCP, and you may have to get around that.

p.s. I don't think your recorder would recognise HDCP anyway...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.