Thread: GSKY V7 Hellobox

Thanks

Default GSKY V7 Hellobox

Hi All. I just purchased a GSKY V7 Hellobox. It starts ok, but all I get are 4 dashes across stb screen and goes no further. Is it a problem with the stb? Any ideas.
    Maybe sent it back to Alibaba.

fiddler

Look Here ->
    Thanks

When you turn it on what shows on the tv screen ?? 4 dashes usually mean no satellites programs are stored (not setup yet)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Hi All. I just purchased a GSKY V7 Hellobox. It starts ok, but all I get are 4 dashes across stb screen and goes no further.
    On your TV have you selected the correct HDMI input ?

Maybe sent it back to Alibaba.
    fiddler
    The cost of sending it back usually exceed the cost you paid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carjackma View Post
    When you turn it on what shows on the tv screen ?? 4 dashes usually mean no satellites programs are stored (not setup yet)
    Thanks for the reply. The 4 dashes are on the little screen on the stb. There is nothing on the tv screen. That is the problem, there is nothing there to set up. I have it all connected up to set it up but when it is switched on it just shows the 4 dashes on the stb screen, that's all. I tried pressing different buttons like they do on some other stb to reset it but no go. Looks like a refund may be in order. As far as I know, they are not available in Australia.

fiddler

Thanks

Have you tried to connect the box with the RCA cable to the TV? I have found that some boxes are set by default to RCA and you manually have to set it to HDMI.

Thanks

I'm with Joezep sounds like the output settings are incorrect. Good luck returning it to the Aliexpress seller by the time you pay return postage may as well have bought another.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joezep View Post
    Have you tried to connect the box with the RCA cable to the TV? I have found that some boxes are set by default to RCA and you manually have to set it to HDMI.
    Agreed,

This is very common.

The reason composite is typically the default video setting, is a lot of TV's, particularly older screens, don't have HDMI inputs, so if a decoder was set to HDMI output by default, you wouldn't be able to see the set-up menu displayed.

As almost all TV's have composite (yellow-red-white) inputs, many decoders are set to composite by default, as they pretty much guarantee if you connect to a composite input, you will be able to view the set-up menu.

Naturally, once you can see the menu on the screen, you can change the video output to HDMI for a much much better picture quality.

Thanks

nothing on the tv screen. That is the problem,

fiddler
    Early model flat screen TV's didn't support 1080P but did support 1080I. Most STB's will give pics via the A/V composite output regardless. Try connecting A/V, If display appears on the TV you can access the menu and change display settings

Sending the box back could set you back 80 to 100$...by Express. economy post never gets there.

Depends on what features you are looking for, sometime it's worth looking at a local suppliers. Support, warranty and money back goes without saying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joezep View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the replies. I thought that having an HDMI logo on the box would have a direct connection when turned on. RCA cables
    are a bit out of date. Well, that is what I thought, what have I got to lose. I connected with an RCA cable and bingo it connected. After that I just connected it with a HDMI cable and all works. I now find that it is an excellent decoder. I somehow don't think that I will hear from Alibaba. They are the middle man only. They told me that I have to deal with the supplier, Who never gets back to me. I don't have to worry about that now. The manual that came with it is useless. The letters are less than half mm. I can just read it with a magnifying glass. I ended up scanning the manual then enlarging the pages so I can now at leased read it. The sample pictures I can't make out.

So once again, Thanks for your help.

fiddler

Thanks

I'm glad you got it working

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Agreed,

This is very common.

The reason composite is typically the default video setting, is a lot of TV's, particularly older screens, don't have HDMI inputs, so if a decoder was set to HDMI output by default, you wouldn't be able to see the set-up menu displayed.

As almost all TV's have composite (yellow-red-white) inputs, many decoders are set to composite by default, as they pretty much guarantee if you connect to a composite input, you will be able to view the set-up menu.

Naturally, once you can see the menu on the screen, you can change the video output to HDMI for a much much better picture quality.
    I found the same on another box. If you don't have composite you are up the shi.t creek to change it to HDMI
    This is one reason what I have stored older stuff like VHS recorders, Tv's that use SCART, Component, and Composite.
    On the other side you buy a Ultimo 4K box and it has only ONE OUTPUT, yes only ONE and that is a HDMI and if you leave it in 4k you can have issues connected to some 4k telle after you turn the telle off and back on again