Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pesty windows 10 updates all the time.

Thanks

Default Pesty windows 10 updates all the time.

Hi everybody,

I bought a windows 10 laptop last July. I have noticed in this last week nearly every time I turn the laptop on after about 5 minutes it wants to do windows 10 updates.

I could not find another thread regarding how to turn updates off!

Just wondering if someone can tell me a way to get a break from these constant updates!

Thanks everybody.

David.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

There are a few very large W10 updates.

I've just sat through updating a PC that hadn't been updated for a while and it took over 4 hours.

If you have some large updates waiting, it will do what you are describing.

Turning off the computer before the updates have completed will start them downloading the next time you are online.

Best to let it finish the required updates.

I don't think you can't turn off updates altogether, just pause them and change active hours of your PC, etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

David071 (16-03-18)

Thanks

you can disable Windows Updates in Services but this looks u out of installing Apps from the Windows Store also

• The Following User Says Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

David071 (16-03-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

In Windoze 10 you can disable updates by telling it that you are on a metered connection. Have a look around Internet settings. Can't be more specific as I've ditched Windoze.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

David071 (16-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i had to do a clean win 10 install today on a ms surface pro
    pain in the ass but anyway, once i did the install, it had about 4 updates, 1 must of been big, took 30 min @ 25mb nbn
    im using a new downloaded win 10 iso from ms, rare for me to be legit but anyway
    its all activated etc
    moral is, if you dont want updates, just disable the service, personally im a believer in no updates, as updates dont stop people from doing stupid things like letting xxx login to their computers coz they say their from misrosoft
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

David071 (16-03-18)

Thanks

Win10 *will* update/upgrade one way or another. I've just spent hours trying to bring a batch of "W10 home" laptops up to the same level so they could be useful. I tried disabling Windows Update and BITS, and the "Fall Creators update" AKA 1709 came through via "Windows Update Assistant". In other words it bypassed the Windows Update service. There's some fiendishly complicated processes involved that you can't stop without some serious mucking about with registry entries (no gpedit for W10 home), scheduled tasks run in the SYSTEM context (Update Orchestrator) that can't be disabled, files that need to have ownership seized and then set DENY to SYSTEM. It's a nightmare, and I'm now contemplating blocking Windows Update servers at the modem firewall. It's going to be easier to block updates that way, at a single point, until I'm ready to let them all update at a convenient time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dwywit For This Useful Post:

David071 (04-04-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

As an alternative, what about ditching Windoze all together? I've just migrated to Linux Mint over the last week. 4 computers and several re-loads later everything is working as I wanted it. From start to finish, A complete system load from stat to finish - including all updates and loading my desired software packages. All I did was boot into a Live shell using a Linux Boot USB stick. Double click the Install Linux option on the desktop and from then 20 minutes until i had a useable Linux Computer.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

cmangle (10-04-18),David071 (04-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Couldn't agree more. I ditched Windoze for Linux years ago and haven't looked back. Computers at work were "upgraded" to Windoze 10 last year and have been plagued with problems ever since. I keep one old non-internet-connected XP/DOS dual boot laptop around for older radio programming software that doesn't behave well under Wine.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

A friends Dell desktop took Win 10 updates over the weekend and wouldn't boot up!

Guess what? His Dell now runs Win 7 Ultimate!

No worries, mate!

Thanks

cmangle

I hope your friend will google "ask woody" to find the list of MS updates to remove and services to stop to prevent MS spyware from phoning home.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

osczzzz, not a problem with Win 7!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

OSX and Linux all update regularly as well. There i no escaping it
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would suggest going in to settings, update and security, and checking you are up to date. As Porkop mentioned, everything updates and there isn't much you can do about it. I definitely wouldn't be running an out of date Windows computer with updates turned off, as Windows is targeted more than other operating systems.

If you are seeing them every time you are turning it on, you are either not completing them or they are specific to your computers hardware as my update history doesn't show any updates this month.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I ditched Windows a long time ago. I love Linux, and probably 90% or more of my time on the Computer is on Linux. However, it is unfortunate that some things do need Windows. One good thing with Linux is that it makes it easy to do the updates when I'm ready, or not at all. On my desktop there is one icon in the notification bar which shows when updates are available. And it is trivial to disable that if I don't want it. No popups. No nagging. And best of all, no updates unless and until I want them. One of my pet hates is booting up Windows wanting to do something in a hurry, only to have to wait interminably whilst it updates before I can even login.

However, like admin, I wouldn't be wanting to run an out of date Windows OS. It is asking for trouble.

@lsemmens. Please let us know how you like Linux and Linux Mint after a month or two. The most frustrating thing for me with Linux over the years has been that sometimes there will be a wait for drivers to be released for particular hardware, particularly newer hardware. Some hardware vendors don't write Linux drivers for their new devices, and leave it to the Community to do so, often not even providing enough information thus requiring reverse engineering. Personally I haven't come across this situation for a while but if you are buying, say, a new Notebook Computer, it is prudent to do your homework to see what is working and what isn't.
    Last edited by DB44; 10-04-18 at 04:51 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I agree with you about the updates DB44. I've dabbled in Linux on and off over the last 15-20 years always returning to Windoze because something did not play well with my video card. So far I've no issue. Mint is very conservative with its update policy, hence, most issues are solved before we see them. Of course it could mean that you are also one or two iterations behind in the updates of programs and stuff.

My only real "issue" is the security policy. And that is that if you are not careful about what, and how, you copy something, you then have to change ownership and/or permissions. No Biggy, just a nuisance that I never had with Windoze. Of course, in Linux, I can see my shares all the time. In windoze, I only see the shares if it decides to let me on a random basis.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    I ditched Windows a long time ago. I love Linux, and probably 90% or more of my time on the Computer is on Linux. However, it is unfortunate that some things do need Windows. One good thing with Linux is that it makes it easy to do the updates when I'm ready, or not at all. On my desktop there is one icon in the notification bar which shows when updates are available. And it is trivial to disable that if I don't want it. No popups. No nagging. And best of all, no updates unless and until I want them. One of my pet hates is booting up Windows wanting to do something in a hurry, only to have to wait interminably whilst it updates before I can even login.
    There are many many options in Windows 10 in regards to updates, but people simply don't go and look at them. Its no easier nor harder than anything else....if people look. I don't get popups, nagging or updates unless I want them. I can set a range of active hours where the PC will not restart, pause updates for up to 35 days, etc, etc etc.

My suggestion to the OP is update your computer. Then look at the said settings I mentioned and change them to suit you. Ignoring updates on any operating system is silly, Windows may be targeted more (simply because there are far more installations of it) but Linux and other operating systems are also no more secure if they are not updated regularly.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

DB44 (11-04-18),enf (12-04-18),lsemmens (18-04-18),Tiny (11-04-18)

Thanks

Yea i had the same issue, for me it was more than once a week sometimes it was 2 gig updates. Theres a long list of stuff you can do and i followed them all to the tee. Turning it off in the windows services manager, changing the wifi connection to metered. Working with the group policy editor. It worked a little however almost a few months on my computer was slow and still updating more than many people said it should.

Additionally i think windows ten is set up to update to enhance performance with the latest software and so forth so i was actually making the problem worse.

It was then when i discovered that depending on what laptop and factory programs you get with your laptop or computer that there can be many programs that hog the internet bloatware. This was my real problem after cleaning up my bloatware i set the the windows ten update settings back to normal. and its been a joy ever since, i think it updates once a week i dont even really know its not troublesome like it used to be. ( i avoided windows ten because of this whole issue working on my 7 laptop.) now however i wouldn't go back.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

How do you get the laptop to update when it keeps saying there isnt enough space to do so?
    This is on the Laptop I bought from Aldi late last year and I havent added barrow loads of Apps or anything else but it seems I am about 6GB or less too short to do the updates.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Simple solution, just use Windows offline and other OS for browsing, mail, etc. Been doing that for almost two decades.

It is not just the invasive update but Windows sets your stuff to default, or the way they want to spy better on you you to use the computer. Sorry it is my computer and I need to use it the way I want it and not be dictated by some money hungry, datamining giant to cahnge it back again.

This so called 'updating' is getting invasive everywhere. I bought an activity bracelet (something like a fitbit clone) and all of a sudden without my request it must of
    'updated' through the phone app and now things are all different. A stupid analog watch display that is now hard to read instead of the digital with big numbers and doesn't show the battery level any more, and it buzzes randomly telling me to measure my bloodpressure, which I didn't not set it to do and I can't switch off.
    A shame, I kind of liked it before but now it will go in the bin ...bloody 'update' fanatics.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-04-18 at 12:46 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Yea well windows seems is gettin sick of the bloatware that is some of the cause of this update i read on their forum that they are releasing a tool in June i think it was that will clean unnecessary bloatware of the computer.
    So essentially windows is blaming laptop or computer manufacturers for the issue... And better yet it seems that everybody complaining about windows 10 s updates have gotten their attention.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast