Thread: Same NBN Router at 2 different locations at different times

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 742 Posts

Default Same NBN Router at 2 different locations at different times

I have been wondering for quite some time whether it is possible to use your NBN Router [modem] at another address.
    Just like a Foxtel Box which will work on any Telstra or Optus coax connection in the country.

I currently have HFC NBN through Optus.
    I have the 'NBN Connection Box' which is connected to my line in.
    The RJ45 from this enters my Optus Router.
    Now I believe I could take my Router to another HFC address and hook up.
    I believe the MAC address is what Optus is allowing on the service,
    So it shouldn't matter where in this country I go, as long as I hook up to another HFC setup.
    HOWEVER, there is actually a ADSL port on the rear as well.
    Now this obviously connects to FTTN connections.
    These connections do not have a NBN Connection Box as they are using your existing phone line back to the node.

Well I own 2 premises.
    1 has NBN HFC and the other [a unit] has NBN available through FTTN.
    Well I believe ALL lines throughout the country are active and the ISP is simply searching for a qualified MAC address.
    Now a couple of months back, I attempted to hook up my router to my units FTTN connection.
    I only then realised it asked for a username and password.
    I immediately gave up as I remember in the old days, these were issued by your ISP.
    I have NEVER had ADSL.
    HOWEVER, talking with my workmates has unravelled that your username and password is more than likely the account email address.
    Never bloody thought of that.
    So tonight I'm heading back to the Sunny Coast to my unit for the weekend and will try again.

I believe that all NBN lines are going to be always active. It will be up to you to have an active router with a MAC address the ISP accepts.
    That's MY theory........Unproven, just using common sense from how they still operate the pay tv service.

Am I completely wrong and way off the mark ?
    also there is absolutely NOTHING on google about this theory. I have searched for months.
    That's why I thought I would open discussion here.

{ TO MAKE THIS CLEAR - I am NOT trying to use 1 router at the SAME TIME for 2 locations. Eg; share 1 connection for multiple users AT THE SAME TIME - NO !!
    I pay for a service and I believe I can take that service with me and then connect to any cabled NBN connection in the country and continue to use the service I pay for}

{Also, if I was at my unit every weekend or my every 2nd, I wouldn't hesitate in getting NBN 'connected'. As there are times we don't get there for 6 - 8 weeks, really hard to justify the cost.}
    Last edited by Saintaholic; 16-03-18 at 12:41 PM.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Dont confuse a ROUTER and a MODEM as they are 2 different devices.
    If the two are separate units, the Router should 'go anywhere' because you can buy one from any retailer, bring it home and IF its compatible with your MODEM, connect it up.
    I am using the NBN Skymuster satellite for the internet and because of a 'None compatibility' problem with a 'Wireless' Modem previously , I chose to use a Router supplied by my ISP that I knew would work with the NBN Modem.

The Tech Gurus should be able to advise you but moving a 'Router' only from A to B should be no different to replacing one that has failed.

I didnt know but Routers can be made to suit specific Modems which is what happened to me. I had a NettComm router working happily on a Dial Up Modem, but when I changed to the 'Wireless' modem, it would not work and that's when I found a whacking great list of what Routers worked with what Modems.
    Now I am using a Netgear Router that seems to be able to connect with all types of Modems irrespective of how the Modem connects to the Internet.

So when I was changing over to the NBN Skymuster system, I took the option from my ISP to use the Router they recommended.

Foxtel/Optus cable STB's obviously wont work in non cabled areas but those on Satellite can be relocated (with certain limitations) to anywhere so long as there is a suitable operating Dish available.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-03-18 at 11:05 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Saintaholic (16-03-18)

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

OK, Yes I realise there are 2 diffs. I'm talking then about a Modem.
    I still believe my theory will work.
    NBN Connect have a spiderweb of lines throughout the country which all remain active.
    An ISP allows a username/MAC address access to their services.
    Cant see why it wont work at different locations.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Premium Member

Thanks

Provided the NBN lines are identical, you should be able to just take on to another you would think, like the old Dial Up Modem.

Can you buy an NBN modem from anyone (retailer) like a Router because this may mean its not transferable to another location ?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

I will know the answer after the weekend for trying on 2 different systems hfc and FTTN.
    My daughter around the corner has HFC like me, so I might pop round there next week and do some testing.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Although the modem may accept different types of NBN connection, it doesn't necessarily mean that because your 'registered' NBN connection is available on the HFC network, that it will also be available on the FTTN network.

I'm interested to see how you go with it. Hope it works.

Please let us know.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Saintaholic (16-03-18)

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Yea, I really don't know, BUT I'm thinking as NBN Connect look after ALL NBN connections, they don't give a rats arse whether your connected, who your connected to etc etc.
    The 'ole days where you'd have Optus coming out to your pole and connect the link to your house are gone. Went a long time ago.
    I think an ISP would simply allow a MAC address or username active on their system, regardless of where that is coming from.
    The same as Foxtel.
    Actually I'm guessing that FTTN locations have Foxtel via Satellite ?
    I know that's the case at my unit. Is this the case elsewhere ?
    Cause how would you get Foxtel FULL via FTTN ?
    I'm NOT talking about Foxtel now or play or whatever the internet version is called
    Last edited by Saintaholic; 16-03-18 at 12:16 PM.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

i doubt it as fttn connections still have to be changed over from pots at the node/pillar......

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Saintaholic (18-03-18)

Thanks

be interesting to know because as far as i am aware once the
    hfc is switched to nbn it is then connected at the node via separate
    ports similar to that of the adsl so it does not work on mac address
    etc like the old hfc setup.

Premium Member

Thanks

You say you have a HFC connection to your residence, is this new and installed by the NBN or has it been there since??? supplying you with PayTV and what ever else was available?

Thanks

HFC DOCSIS3.0 is a shared network. There are a number of 8MHz bandwidth channels shared by all users on the cable. HFC installations around the world are owned and run by one provider only, the Australian situation is the first to have multiple providers on the same cable. The NBN gets around this by effectively being the provider, and supplying tunnels to individual ISPs. What this means is that where previously (Telstra), the modem & router were in one box, now the NBN provides the modem, and the router is (usually) supplied by the ISP. So there is a 2 step authentication process - NBN authenticates the modem and effectively provides a tunnel from the ethernet port on the modem to the ISP side, and the ISP authenticates the router.

The requirements for router portability are for the ISP to be able to recognise and authorise it. If the ISP uses the MAC address in it's authentication procedure, the MAC address has to be visible. In this case the modem can only be moved to end points on the same node (i.e. on the same subnet). If authentication is ONLY by username and password, it shoud be able to me moved anywhere. This is a similar issue with using the ISP provided router or a bring your own.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (17-03-18),Saintaholic (18-03-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Its common practice today to connect a Router to a MODEM for very obvious reasons but as I understand it, its not mandatory to do so and for this and the reason you can use a ROUTER of your choice or replace one if it fails or is 'Upgraded', a 'stand alone ROUTER' should be able to function once connected to a suitable MODEM.

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

No Go with my Router at other location to a FTTN. BUT I'm not convinced the line is actually active. We've had the unit for 4 years and never had a phone on.
    So I am tempted to get NBN 'connected' for a couple of months to try. In the meantime I will be trying my modem/Router at my daughters HFC Location 5mins from my house.
    I'll try and hook the modem up at a mates place who is currently on NBN and using FTTN.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

The HFC connection I currently have at Home is the 'TELSTRA' network in my area. I was on Optus Cable. They hook everyone up in my area to the TELSTRA Cable network and make it NBN.
    In my case, my Telstra line was cut in half in my driveway so they had to reinstall the circuit.
    Last edited by Saintaholic; 18-03-18 at 01:02 PM.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Premium Member

Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it, your area had a 'Cable' system and you used OPTUS as your carrier. On that cable you can have PayTV and your Home Telephone connected plus anything else they were offing.
    This cable comes to your residence and there is a powered box' somewhere to allow that to be connected to a Router and the Computer as well as a connection to Foxtel., is that how it is?

Now while you may have been an Optus subscriber and they did lay their own cables everywhere, I believe they (OPTUS/TELSTRA) must share (along with others) their services so you could be using the cable laid by Optus, Telstra or ATT&T and never know.

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Just signed my unit up to Foxtel through Telstra for basic and sport for $30/month. HD extra $10.
    This way, they connect an NBN service and 'maybe' I can take the box home to watch at other address. Worst case scenario, $30 a month for 12 months beats 80 a month for a service I can't share.

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it, your area had a 'Cable' system and you used OPTUS as your carrier. On that cable you can have PayTV and your Home Telephone connected plus anything else they were offing.
    This cable comes to your residence and there is a powered box' somewhere to allow that to be connected to a Router and the Computer as well as a connection to Foxtel., is that how it is?

Now while you may have been an Optus subscriber and they did lay their own cables everywhere, I believe they (OPTUS/TELSTRA) must share (along with others) their services so you could be using the cable laid by Optus, Telstra or ATT&T and never know.
    NBN Connect are using existing Telstra network cables in 98% of cases. I had both services in my home area and used Optus. Now all services are the Telstra cable which is now called NBN HFC

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I'll take a punt your router will work in two places, but each time you set up you will have to reset your router to find your modems' specific address at that place? would be a bit of pain in the arse
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member

Thanks

Any further on this matter?

I was going to say earlier that I wouldnt be too concerned as to whose 'Cable/Fibre/Long piece of String' they were using as they (Telstra/Optus/NBN etc) may have an 'arrangement where they 'share' what ever is to your premises for cost,technical or because they want to reasons but the Bill you get bears the ISP's logo.
    I did hear in places the Telco's such as Optus or Vodaphone may install their own equipment in Telstra owned exchanges but may only rent space where that's not possible or economical.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-03-18 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Any further on this matter?

I was going to say earlier that I wouldnt be too concerned as to whose 'Cable/Fibre/Long piece of String' they were using as they (Telstra/Optus/NBN etc) may have an 'arrangement where they 'share' what ever is to your premises for cost,technical or because they want to reasons but the Bill you get bears the ISP's logo.
    I did hear in places the Telco's such as Optus or Vodaphone may install their own equipment in Telstra owned exchanges but may only rent space where that's not possible or economical.
    You need to do a bit of reading. Have a look at the OSI 7 layer model. The physical and data link layers are indeed common, at least in the NBN and often for ADSL. It is at the network layer that the differentiation occurs. This is where you get your addressing and routing information. So each ISP will provide a separate IP address and default route, and user authentication, no matter how the network gets to them.

For instance, to switch from say Telstra to Dodo on an ADSL service using the same physical infrastructure (DSLAM, Cable, Modem, Router etc), I would have to manually change my router settings to reflect the change.