Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dish setup in Octagon SF918 menu - LNB High / Low?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking Agila 2 and Measat 2

G'Day,
    As far as I can see, Agila 2 does not beam any where near us and very little on it anyway.
    Measat 2 has TP 11602H/41500 that I used when first setting up my motor as it is almost due True North from me. However I had an Invacom Universal LNB on my dish then, to be in tuning range. Little of interest to me there.
    Went back to the 11300 for a stronger signal, but it will not tune that low in frequency. Also I think the 10700 LNBs would be marginal at best.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post

G'Day,
    Please humor me and go back to the original setup with D2 as the centre.
    You do not seem to understand exactly how the calculations work.
    Let's call the level of the dish, the "TILT" as opposed to Skew.
    Reserve "Skew" for what you do at the LNB.
    This is where you are stuffing up.
    When you use any other Sat than the one that is True North from your location, then the TILT of the dish has to be re-calculated and the dish will not be level.
    It will not matter one iota which Sats you can receive, as when properly setup, they are all effectively looking at a full size dish that is virtually turned straight on to their azimuth.
    As D2 is virtually True North of your location, the other Sats will appear as a symmetrical parabola with D2 at maximum elevation.
    All you are doing by making another Sat as the centre one is to make it many times more difficult to set up. Quite un-necessarily so.
    It is immaterial whether you have Sats either side of the theoretical centre one, or all on one side.
    I've cleared that chart up a bit to make it clearer to see what I mean.

PS; I'll have a look at those other Sats tomorrow.

Hi Druid,

I understand what say about the skew/tilt of the dish and that it has to be changed depending on the other satellites I'm pointing to .

What I did was point the dish to D2 with the D2 LNB on "0" on the bar.
    After that I looled for Pas8 and tilted the dish and put pas 8 on the best position by using the Satellite finder.
    Then I put the C1 and D1 in the best place by using the satellite finder. (I also changed the skew of the LNB when using the satellite finder to get the best position).

After my initial setup wich worked perfectly I have been on the roof for 4 times for several hours. Trying everything under the sun. Changed the switch, changed the LNB's (I have different brands), tried it on different times of the day, etc...

This morning I tried for the last time and after finetining D2 I could get the channel (BVN) on D2 I was after. I didn't touch the disch anymore. Connected up the STB downstairs and BVN was gone . Whent back on the roof and I could get it again but after a few hours I couldn't.

At this stage I'm starting to get frustrated and considering putting everything back in the initial position. If you say Measat and Agila can not be recieved here and I don't see any other satetelites that might broadcats any interesting I probably don't need a 5th LNB an the 8 port switch. . C1 and Pas8 is almost all paytv so also of little interest to me.

Next weekend I give it a last shot and hopefully I can get things back to normal .

I know what you are saying is all true in theorie but I still suspect the time of the day and the tree are causing me lots of issues.

Well at least my satellite dish pointing skills are getting better every week ....

Thanks

Talking Mystery solved.

This morning I tried for the last time and after finetining D2 I could get the channel (BVN) on D2 I was after. I didn't touch the disch anymore. Connected up the STB downstairs and BVN was gone . Whent back on the roof and I could get it again but after a few hours I couldn't.

G'Day Cobber,
    Don't give up yet.
    There is an explanation for this dilemma.
    Optus D2 has two TPs on 12644/22500 SR.
    One is Horizontal and the other Vertical.
    They do the same thing on 12706/22500 SR.
    It is indeed a trap for young players.
    I would suggest that you are getting confused with what you get on the roof and the STB.
    To prove this, I suggest that with D2 peaked up with the satfinder, that you then SKEW the LNB by 90 degrees for another peak.
    This may be confusing as at 45 degrees you will get similar signal levels for both H and V.
    Probably the best way would be to tune to another channel where there is no ambiguity and peak up on the STB.
    So, in essence you need to confirm on your STB and LNB, that you are tuning to the right polarity signals.
    After reviewing all that has been said, I am confident that this is the cause of your problems.

Thanks

Cool Layout of LNB

Hi,
    I just want to make sure that this is the way that you have your LNBs.
    I'm still worried that, going by your photo, that you have them the wrong way round. Left to right, they are the opposite to what you would see them in the sky. They must crossover.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Hi Druid,
    Have been away for work last week.
    The picture above is my initial setup, not the current. I didn't have an LNB for Measat in the initial setup. I bought it later and that is when I changed my setup of the LNB's and put D2 on 0.
    Unfortunatly I can't get any signals from other satellites after D2 (left from D2 on the picture), so Measat is not an option for me.
    I fixed the problem with D2. It was the skew as you mentioned before. D2, C1 and D1 do now have a skew of about 45degr. Many thanks for the tip.
    So at least I'm back from where I started :-).
    Would have loved to get some aditional satellites to get a bit more FTA channels. Most of what I have now is scrambled :-(.

Many Thanks....

Thanks

Talking That was easier than I imagined it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizbo View Post
    Hi Druid,
    Have been away for work last week.
    The picture above is my initial setup, not the current. I didn't have an LNB for Measat in the initial setup. I bought it later and that is when I changed my setup of the LNB's and put D2 on 0.
    Unfortunatly I can't get any signals from other satellites after D2 (left from D2 on the picture), so Measat is not an option for me.
    I fixed the problem with D2. It was the skew as you mentioned before. D2, C1 and D1 do now have a skew of about 45degr. Many thanks for the tip.
    So at least I'm back from where I started :-).
    Would have loved to get some aditional satellites to get a bit more FTA channels. Most of what I have now is scrambled :-(.

Many Thanks....
    Congratulations,
    I don't think we can call you a Newbie any longer.
    Many of the old hands shudder and give up when faced with a "Toroidal Dish" and apart from a couple of hiccups, you've succeeded.
    If you're that way inclined, you do have the option of "Select TV", around $30 a month. Foxtel/Austar are also available, although you may need to load different files on your SF918.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "........

Thanks

Congratulations,
    I don't think we can call you a Newbie any longer.
    Many of the old hands shudder and give up when faced with a "Toroidal Dish" and apart from a couple of hiccups, you've succeeded.
    If you're that way inclined, you do have the option of "Select TV", around $30 a month. Foxtel/Austar are also available, although you may need to load different files on your SF918.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "........
    Yes I was going for Selectv, for $30 I would sigh up immediatly , but they recently increased their prices. I'm interested in documentaries and their package is approx. $45.- (without high definition). Personally I find that a lot of money compared too what my friends in Europe and the US are paying. Maybe when winter is comming and they offer HD I will have a look at them again .

Thanks

Cool Select.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizbo View Post
    Yes I was going for Selectv, for $30 I would sigh up immediatly , but they recently increased their prices. I'm interested in documentaries and their package is approx. $45.- (without high definition). Personally I find that a lot of money compared too what my friends in Europe and the US are paying. Maybe when winter is comming and they offer HD I will have a look at them again .
    Yes, you're partly right, Going the way of the other providers.
    Although I did check the advertisement on their Promo channel.
    $37.95 the base subscription.
    I checked my card statement and it's still $29.95.
    Whether you can screw them for a better deal, remains to be seen?
    No harm in trying.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".........

Thanks

This is making me want to hose down the old Toroidal...

Thanks

Yes, you're partly right, Going the way of the other providers.
    Although I did check the advertisement on their Promo channel.
    $37.95 the base subscription.
    I checked my card statement and it's still $29.95.
    Whether you can screw them for a better deal, remains to be seen?
    No harm in trying.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".........
    Oh, I sure did. The day after they raised the price. I was happy to sign up without the two Disney channels but they kept on convincing me I would have a better deal with the Disney channels, even when I told yhem I was 40?????? So I decided to wait....

Thanks

[COLOR=Blue]
    G'Day,
    Please humor me and go back to the original setup with D2 as the centre.
    You do not seem to understand exactly how the calculations work.
    Let's call the level of the dish, the "TILT" as opposed to Skew.
    Reserve "Skew" for what you do at the LNB.
    I so wish i had seen these posts before today - you are a legend The Druid

Can a moderator cut and sticky this in tutorials or something please. This is gold for DIY installers of torroidals. It helps you understand how the dish works compared to a normal dish. Great work mate

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234