Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phone question

Thanks

Default phone question

i get lots of phone calls with an Indian accent.one of them leaves on my phone the number..0296206078..but if i dial it i get a recording saying
    its not connected ?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

They are scammers, claiming to be from Telstra, usually claiming they have detected a virus on your computer and need you to give them remote access, otherwise they will disconnect your service...blah...blah.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

eaglem (31-03-18),gulliver (31-03-18),Tiny (31-03-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

There you go Telstra scammer as mtv said >>
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

eaglem (31-03-18)

Thanks

i get all that
    i just do not understand how they can use a phone number that is disconnected
    Last edited by coalminer; 31-03-18 at 11:03 AM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    i get lots of phone calls with an Indian accent.one of them leaves on my phone the number..0296206078..but if i dial it i get a recording saying
    its not connected ?
    I fairly sure you already know that they are scammers, but to answer your question:
    They are not calling from Australia. They all use VOIP telephone services and some of them allow to display any number they like. They will usually choose numbers starting with 8 or 9 after the area code (02, 03, etc) as these are used in big cities like Sydney, giving you the IMPRESSION it is from your local major city.

Most of the scammers I get start with an 8, I would say well over 90% of them, often twice a day.
    For this reason when my son told me that he has to design an app as a UNI project, I told him to make a phone app that silences all numbers with the 8 after the area code that are not in my contacts list or in a white list that I can use to add legit ones. I don't live in a major city so this will work very well for me and pretty much everybody I know uses mobile numbers anyhow.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 31-03-18 at 11:15 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (31-03-18),gulliver (31-03-18),hinekadon (05-11-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

What nomeat says about their selection of numbers is absolutely true.

The wife just keeps a list by the phone.

I have also found that if you answer one of these numbers, there is usually a slight delay after you say hello. If there is, immediately hang up.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (01-04-18),hinekadon (05-11-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    i get all that
    i just do not understand how they can use a phone number that is disconnected
    That's because the number you see, isn't a real number.

It's a bit like using a VPN to hide your true IP address.

I had one of those calls the other day: Number shown was (02)123456789... yeah... looks legitimate... NOT

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post

I have also found that if you answer one of these numbers, there is usually a slight delay after you say hello. If there is, immediately hang up.
    Yes, that is whay I don't say hello anymore if I see a number starting with 8. I wait about 10seconds and it actually disconnects on it's own.
    These are bots that are calling and when they detect a voice they will connect to the 'call centre' with the scammers.

If there really is a human on the other side you can usually hear breathing or some sort of background noise if your phone has a good audio quality and the human will probably not wait longer than 10 seconds before they say hello and if I hear the typical Indian accent I just disconnect.

I wonder if my son could design an app that detects the Indian accent
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

eaglem (01-04-18),enf (31-03-18),gulliver (31-03-18),hinekadon (05-11-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post

I wonder if my son could design an app that detects the Indian accent
    He'll make a motza if he does.....just don't use it when you order your vindaloo.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (09-01-19),eaglem (01-04-18),hinekadon (05-11-18),Uncle Fester (01-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I use Hiya on my mobile phone.If the number is not in my phonebook it will tell the caller to leave a messageand hangs up.
    Works great for me.Yes mostley o2/83798097 or .....8076;

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (05-11-18),VroomVroom (06-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    He'll make a motza if he does.....just don't use it when you order your vindaloo.
    Of course, it won't do tell well with most customer support lines.

Thanks

thanks all

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Have you ever taken notice of the number in a street Public Phone and ever tried to ring that number, only to be told its not connected/in service whatever yet the 'operator' can ring it if needed?
    I cant remember what this one here is but it has the letter M in the sequence.
    Being on a limited line sub exchange here our numbers are 63556300 to 399 I think but the Public Phone is something like 6355MXXX.
    Check your keypad and you will see M is 6 but not in this case.
    Its a bit like this feature on Digital TV that tells me no matter where I am in the district, my channel 7 is displayed as 6 no matter what frequency its transmitted on.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

The Public phone "number" is only to identify the specific box to Service Difficulties and Faults so the techs know which box to go to it has no relation to the calling number of the box except the first three digits which identify the exchange. Like a number plate on a car, it identifies a specific car (supposedly) but does nothing towards allowing you to drive that car unless you are in possession of the keys.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (02-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,178 Times in 1,899 Posts

Well, I'm not sure to post this here or whether mods want to stick it as a new thread.
    For those who are with Telstra there is a way to now block Scammer numbers directly with Telstra (I think I got this off a Telstra Forum but I'm not sure where, but anyway it works a treat).
    You will need to know your Telstra Online Account Details and log in at this page;

From there you will get a page that looks like this;

As above, select "Home Phone"

Which will open this page, scroll down to "Manage" in the Add-ons section.

This will open a Portal to Telstra's Self-Care pages;

I selected "Call Forwarding".

So first you need to "Create new Rule", I called my first rule "SCAMMERS" and my second rule "UNKNOWNCALLERS"

In creating the rule for "SCAMMERS" I forwarded all calls to "Specific Number" and entered 1272250025 I then selected "All Calls" in "Call Types"
    And then under "Caller Types" I chose "Selected Numbers". You can then add all the numbers that appear when these pricks call you.

So just to be clear, where All Calls under "Call types" is selected it means all calls from the numbers entered in the "Caller types" listed under "Selected Numbers" and not every call you get on the phone.

The second rule, "UNKNOWNCALLERS" which gets forwarded to the same number, I created for those who want to ring with a blocked ID, so be careful if you are expecting calls from someone likely to to come through as "Private Number".

If you use Telstra Home Messagebank then you can always change the number to that, your choice

Hope this helps those who are still with Telstra, now this hasn't cost me anything, but you never know in the future, Telstra are always looking for a way to squeeze that extra buck out of us.

And Yeah, I know I got 3 and 4 round the wrong way but fixed now.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

dai (29-06-18),Keith (02-04-18),Tiny (02-04-18),william10 (02-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Found the page;

Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

Keith (02-04-18),william10 (02-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, I’m digging out an old thread so I can have a whinge, Telstra are lying sacks of shit!

I tried to get into the above page in “MyAccount” only to find that the ability to block the scammers has gone. After about 3 weeks of toing and froing with their “Technical Support Team” (a very loose use of the term if you ask me) the final official answer they have come back with is that the service was shut down on 1st September due to being incompatible with the NBN, I have had the NBN on since May last year, that’s approximately 17 months that it did work with the NBN, so I’m gonna call bullshit on their reason, it appears to me, that they are hiding behind the NBN as an excuse to cut the service, arseholes! So now the scammers are getting through again...

Is there anybody out there still using a landline with an NBN provider that has such a service, or do I need to start looking at a phone that will block scammers?
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I doubt you will find any telephone that can 'Block' numbers unless the system is designed for it to function.

I believe that every one of those numbers you get from 'Cold Callers' are most likely genuine BUT you can only ring out on them with incoming calls being blocked.
    I read one time this feature was offered to 'Cold Caller' business' who wanted their operators calling Customers, not getting call backs from them.
    Every line MUST have a 'Number' no matter what it is.
    Today when you have a Landline installed, you can ring anywhere in OZ but I remember the time when you were only able to dial your local area and had to specifically ask to have STD (long distance) connected and even further back to when you could NOT call Long Distance/Trunk calls from your Home Phone without previous agreement.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Is there anybody out there still using a landline with an NBN provider that has such a service, or do I need to start looking at a phone that will block scammers?
    I couldn't get to that page ever; so it never worked for me so I bought a fixed line phone that does the job in house, whether on NBN or not.

My new home phone can block any number or number prefix or Private or Overseas calls, once you get a call & add it to the call block register in the phone it doesn't even ring, & wont go to answering machine, so they can't leave a message either, pure bliss.
    Or you can go to the many reverse lookup sites or scam caller sites like & look at the list of menacing scam numbers & add them before they even call. Too easy.
    It does show that a call blocked number has rung in the caller ID list, so I know, if I want, how many times I have been saved from hearing them ring & interrupting my time.
    Of course, for it to work, you do need caller ID enabled on your line at $6 a month from Telstra. Well worth it.
    No more repetitive calls from call centres for Microsoft, NBN & Telstra scams, or anyone else I don't want to talk to, like relatives, lol..
    It's a Uniden XDECT-8355 with Call Block Pro.
    Also has excellent range on the cordless handsets including a water proof one that i got on a good package deal.

EDIT: forgot to mention that it also can pair by bluetooth to your mobile & fully integrate with it, including downloading & using your mobiles contact list & import it if you wish to the landline phone book. It can also block all calls that are unknown; as in not in your phones phonebook.
    The longer I've had this phone the more I like it & even the missus thinks it's great.
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-11-18 at 04:53 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (05-11-18),enf (06-11-18),tristen (17-03-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks Tiny, I have actually being reading up on the 8355, I’m trying to determine the number of scammers that can be blocked, the specs say 50 Caller ID memories (Shared) but can’t work out what the “Shared “ means, shared with what, as it also says it has a 200 number phonebook?
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast