Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: phone question

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Thanks Tiny, I have actually being reading up on the 8355, I’m trying to determine the number of scammers that can be blocked, the specs say 50 Caller ID memories (Shared) but can’t work out what the “Shared “ means, shared with what, as it also says it has a 200 number phonebook?
    number of scammers that can be blocked is unknown (not specified) as you can block groups of numbers (08557xxxxx) as well as individual numbers, but there is no spec for individual entries either. It seems to have a pretty big memory.

The Caller ID list is limited to 50 recent entries, oldest get overwritten. Shared means between all handsets & base, as all read the same caller ID list stored on the base, any deletions or changes are automatically shared between all handsets & base.

200 memory Phonebook is correct & is stored on the base & accessed by all handsets, all changes from any handset or base are global.
    In addition to the Home phonebook (200), you can have up to 4 Mobile phone phonebooks (contacts), with 1500 entries each, downloaded into memory, so no need to have the mobile connected to use it's phonebook..
    You can choose to access any of the phonebooks & dial or edit numbers from any handset or base. Edits wont change you mobile contact lists, as the downloaded phonebooks are one way only, no upload back to mobile.
    You can however, if your Mobile is paired & in bluetooth range, dial numbers & answer calls using your cordless handsets, using your mobiles connection if you choose, I can't do that here as I don't have mobile reception.

Quite frankly if I had decent mobile reception, I wouldn't have a landline phone account at all.
    Too much info right,
    Last edited by Tiny; 06-11-18 at 09:53 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (06-11-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,178 Times in 1,899 Posts

Nope, just good info and I appreciate the time and effort to post it, looks like that is what I shall be doing, buying a phone that will do the blocking, as providers obviously don’t give a shit.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Who has been caught out by mistaking a Malware loaded program update for the genuine one they have on their Computer?
    I got caught out with this by a Panamanian based mob who I blocked (on Yahoo) as it arrived but to get around my 'Block', the next one came with a variation to the address which let it appear.
    This went on for a few weeks until it just stopped.
    Lets hope this number blocker isnt bypassed in the same way and allows calls through.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Lets hope this number blocker isnt bypassed in the same way and allows calls through.
    If they did start using a sequenced number then I just block the sequence using the first 5 numbers (ie; 08557-----) or less, that easy.
    Got to love technology; when it works.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Just to add to the general Broo Ha ha, did you notice the instructions that if your ringing INTO Australia from O'Seas, you delete the '0' before the State Prefix, ie NSW becomes 2 and not 02 and the same applies to calling a mobile, going from 04 to just 4.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Just to add to the general Broo Ha ha, did you notice the instructions that if your ringing INTO Australia from O'Seas, you delete the '0' before the State Prefix, ie NSW becomes 2 and not 02 and the same applies to calling a mobile, going from 04 to just 4.
    yes gordon, because you dial +61 which becomes the zero, but what is your point?
    If i gave you a list of the numbers I have blocked already you would be surprised at there ability to spoof numbers, but they are very simple & repetitive.
    Some have 11 digits, some 10, some 9, doesn't matter; what ever the caller ID says, I set that to be blocked & I don't get them bugging me again & due to no answer & no evidence to them of call blocking, it just stays as a silent caller registered in Caller ID as call blocked.
    Last edited by Tiny; 07-11-18 at 06:53 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

tristen (07-11-18)

• 07-11-18, 08:38 PM

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hanova View Post
    My solution to all this is to install caller id software that lets you know the name and address of the number you are receiving calls from in real time so you know who is who
    1. It only displays calling number, not name and address of unknown numbers.

2. Doesn't work with international calls, which is where almost all spam/telemarketing calls originate.

3. Doesn't work with blocked calling ID.

4. Numbers are easily spoofed, which defeats the whole purpose.

5. I guess you'll now recommend certain software to purchase.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (08-11-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    number of scammers that can be blocked is unknown (not specified) as you can block groups of numbers (08557xxxxx) as well as individual numbers, but there is no spec for individual entries either. It seems to have a pretty big memory.

The Caller ID list is limited to 50 recent entries, oldest get overwritten. Shared means between all handsets & base, as all read the same caller ID list stored on the base, any deletions or changes are automatically shared between all handsets & base.

200 memory Phonebook is correct & is stored on the base & accessed by all handsets, all changes from any handset or base are global.
    In addition to the Home phonebook (200), you can have up to 4 Mobile phone phonebooks (contacts), with 1500 entries each, downloaded into memory, so no need to have the mobile connected to use it's phonebook..
    You can choose to access any of the phonebooks & dial or edit numbers from any handset or base. Edits wont change you mobile contact lists, as the downloaded phonebooks are one way only, no upload back to mobile.
    You can however, if your Mobile is paired & in bluetooth range, dial numbers & answer calls using your cordless handsets, using your mobiles connection if you choose, I can't do that here as I don't have mobile reception.

Quite frankly if I had decent mobile reception, I wouldn't have a landline phone account at all.
    Too much info right,
    Just an update on this, just reached the Call Block limit, it's 30 numbers..

Bugger, have to prioritise & group some prefixes to reduce the numbers.

Sorry Al, looks like you were correct in your assumption.

EDIT: have managed to get rid of ten numbers by consolidating repetitive bogus area codes, 0218xxxxxx, 028xxxxxxx, 002xxxxxxx, 05xxxxxxxx, 01xxxxxxxx & if Telstra or some kinda fraud squad, don't do something about the scammers from 08 numbers, then they are going as well.
    Last edited by Tiny; 08-01-19 at 06:27 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Solved !!!! I asked if he had ever slept with his mother ? strange but the calls have stopped for about 2mths now ?????

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Solved !!!! I asked if he had ever slept with his mother ? strange but the calls have stopped for about 2mths now ?????
    Don't hold your breath, they come in waves.
    I started getting the bulk of these scam calls after I was randomly selected to do a compulsory motor vehicle fuel survey, last year by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. (large fine if you don't comply & they require all your details to comply - including home phone & mobile phone), now I get so many political & other survey calls it's ridiculous.
    Then there are the scammers that seem to follow suit, they all come at the same time & then they back off & give you a rest for while before they start again.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just an update on this, just reached the Call Block limit, it's 30 numbers..

Bugger, have to prioritise & group some prefixes to reduce the numbers.

Sorry Al, looks like you were correct in your assumption.

EDIT: have managed to get rid of ten numbers by consolidating repetitive bogus area codes, 0218xxxxxx, 028xxxxxxx, 002xxxxxxx, 05xxxxxxxx, 01xxxxxxxx & if Telstra or some kinda fraud squad, don't do something about the scammers from 08 numbers, then they are going as well.
    Dont worry Tiny, I bought the 8355 + 3WPR (4 Handsets) just starting to build the Call Block library.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Dont worry Tiny, I bought the 8355 + 3WPR (4 Handsets) just starting to build the Call Block library.
    Good on you, It's a great phone, but I would have preferred to have the Call block memory a lot larger & the Caller ID memory really doesn't need 50; so they should have swapped that around at least.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Good on you, It's a great phone, but I would have preferred to have the Call block memory a lot larger & the Caller ID memory really doesn't need 50; so they should have swapped that around at least.
    Yes, agreed, but as you pointed out you can eliminate a boat load of scammers with just a few prefixes.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

I recently bought the 8355+1 and it's good. We have been receiving a regular call from 0390383887 (we don't answer numbers we don't know and let them go to messagebank) and of course, no message is left. No doubt it's a computer ringing and when answered, the call get's passed onto a human. Googled the number and it's a telemarketer. These calls have been on Sundays, which I find funny that marketers would work Sunday, and other irregular times. Anyway, we bought the 8355 because of these types of calls, not that we receive many. I have just noticed that if a blocked number rings, the phone registers the call as a blocked number calling, but of course the phone doesn't ring. I noticed the number above rang last night at 8pm. Bought the phone from Harvey Normans and cause they had their sales on got it for $118 instead of the $166. Happy with it.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (21-01-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Only one number, (voice of Eric Idle) you lucky bastard. lol.

Here is where I'm at as of today.

Blocked area codes.
    01 - obviously bogus - several scammers
    002 - obviously bogus - several scammers
    0218 - obviously bogus - several scammers
    028 - several annoying political surveys & a couple of NBN scammers.
    05 - Assoc. #'s 0557144151 NBN scammer - 0523623876? - 0578794400? - ?= unknown New mobile phone services 05xxxxxxxx (National numbers) area code? guess I'll have to unblock this one day.
    08584 - Assoc. #'s 0858432297 NBN scam -0858432498 NBN scam

Blocked Numbers.
    02489607532 - solar rebate scam
    0264930367 - ATO scam
    0862284112 - Telstra NBN scammer
    0496325123647 - Telstra, Microsoft & more scammer.
    0425367802 - Solar panels rebate scam
    0488822713 - Marketing research
    0361110735 - Political reach tell pol
    0342080511 - bogus charity?
    0297928945 - Microsoft scam
    0349877677 - Telstra NBN scammer
    061280324238 - unknown too many digits
    0244486080 - person actually exists, wrong number?? Or charity? Will delete soon if they don't call again.
    0384130005 - new unknown
    0885596856*- Solar panels scam again. - 0885 on the edge of being a blocked area code.
    02573564926 - Indian scammer for finance.
    0885866873* - Political survey
    0238452905 - charity ? Scammer??
    0892569873 - as yet unknown, possible scammer.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (21-01-19),Keith (21-01-19),Onefella (20-01-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I recently bought the 8355+1 and it's good. We have been receiving a regular call from 0390383887 (we don't answer numbers we don't know and let them go to messagebank) and of course, no message is left. No doubt it's a computer ringing and when answered, the call get's passed onto a human. Googled the number and it's a telemarketer. These calls have been on Sundays, which I find funny that marketers would work Sunday, and other irregular times. Anyway, we bought the 8355 because of these types of calls, not that we receive many. I have just noticed that if a blocked number rings, the phone registers the call as a blocked number calling, but of course the phone doesn't ring. I noticed the number above rang last night at 8pm. Bought the phone from Harvey Normans and cause they had their sales on got it for $118 instead of the $166. Happy with it.
    I forgot to add I bought this after Tiny's recommendation. Thanks Tiny.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12