Thread: Plans for new solar feed-in tariffs spark profiteering fears

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Plans for new solar feed-in tariffs spark profiteering fears

SOLAR customers could unfairly profiteer from new tariffs that pay them substantially more to feed excess power to the grid during peak demand, it has been warned.

Concerns have been raised about those with storage batteries potentially exploiting the system at the expense of people without rooftop panels.

The amount retailers must pay solar customers for excess energy exported to the grid is known as a feed-in tariff. In Victoria, part is a government-ordered reward for reducing carbon emissions.

From July, Victorian retailers can choose to offer a time-varying tariff and/or a standard flat rate.

Victorian Council of Social Services acting CEO Mary Sayers said rules were needed to ensure businesses and households did not exploit the system by charging batteries using mains power when energy was cheap, only to sell that, rather than solar energy, back for peak-time profit as high as 200 per cent.

The Essential Services Commission has paved the way for time-varying minimum feed-in rates of 7.1c per kilowatt hour off-peak (10pm-7am), 10.3c/kWh in shoulder periods, and 29c/kWh at evening peak (3pm-9pm weekdays).

The single-rate minimum will drop to 9.9c/kWh, down from 11.3c. Rates include a 2.5c/kWh reward for the avoided “social cost of carbon”.

“We can’t have people gaming the tariff system and profiteering,” Ms Sayers said.

“Such a practice would do nothing to ease power prices or help the environment. Steps should be taken to ensure they are only rewarded for renewable energy exports to the grid.

“We are also concerned that as these new types of tariffs #become common, retailers will pass on extra costs at peak times to customers who can’t afford solar and are dependent on the grid.”

In response to fears about possible abuse of the system, the Essential Services Commission said in its recent tariff decision that solar battery penetration was currently low.

It said: “We consider these concerns to be more relevant to future FiT (feed-in tariff) setting processes ... We recognise the issue raised (and) will continue to work with the relevant agencies on the appropriate FiT arrangements”.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (07-04-18),Softek2 (07-04-18)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks

I will be happy to switch to these rates from my current 11.3.

I have an 8kw system that still puts out pretty well up to 9pm in Summer and will more than make up for the 1 cent per kw/h loss.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

People have paid good money to install these systems and I believe are entitled to a return on their investment because that's what it is.
    I dont wholly understand what this is all about but it makes me think the only concern here is that 'someone' in the system isnt going to be able to profit (not the Panel owners) from this.
    They are forgetting those who for many reasons other than affordability cannot install Solar Panels but until now havent given much thought to those who dont have panels but now are all hot and bothered according to the following quote.,
    “We can’t have people gaming the tariff system and profiteering,” Ms Sayers said.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Dont worry, they will just put up the price of electricity to compensate......they always have!!!

My bill was cheaper when my solar panels wound back the old spinning wheel meter not this bullsh!t smart (ar$e) meter.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Administrator
    Thanks

You need to shop around. Like everything these days, you need to check all market offers at least twice a year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

Oh no heaven forbid that would happen. That would be terrible! WTF is she talking about? A peak period feed in tariff of 29c would be about 1:1 here. Oh they feel so bad to buy electricity at the same price they sell it to us they almost implode with greed. Poor things.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

Skepticist (13-04-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

here in perth the feed in tariff is only around 7c peak charges around 50c when we put the first system in they said they would gain by not having to build new power stations and could cut back on what they were running saving costs now it is people with solar panels are not contributing to the cost of the power lines they want their cake and eat it too they are not satisfied with the reduced running costs of producing electricity and the profit they make on reselling what is fed back to them

it was the same with water put down a bore the water is running out to sea now they dictate when you can use them they had to go down 67mtrs to hit water here it was not cheap then they invited you to register the bore i chose not to then the bills have on them because of your water usage it indicates you have a bore the next step they plan obviously is to put a meter on them and start charging for that as well if they do see how they like getting an invoice for running costs because they will be getting one