Thread: Humax HDR-1003S + Foxtel Dish, some help please

Thanks

Question Humax HDR-1003S + Foxtel Dish, some help please

I last posted here about 3 years ago. I have some questions for the regulars:

1. I have a 2014 Foxtel dish and 2 cables coming out of the wall for their IQ unit. I do not have the IQ unit, nor do I have a Foxtel subscription, and I will never rejoin Foxtel. I use only one cable into the back of my Humax VAST unit and this seems adequate. Can I remove the other cable completely?
    2. The dish was set up for Foxtel. Is it worth fiddling with the LNB to fine tune it for VAST? If so, how (any helpful links?)
    3. I have not done anything to my Humax HDR-1003S for 3 years. Are there any software/firmware updates that I should apply, or will that happen automatically?
    4. Is there any you-beaut replacement for the Humax that I should consider, or is the Humax still good enough technology?

Any other comments also welcome!

Thanks guys,
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 06-04-18 at 03:02 PM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Yes, you can remove the second cable, as they both function independently.

I'm guessing both cables are on a wallplate, so are you just talking about disconnecting one cable flylead from the wallplate, or are you talking about removing the whole cable run from the LNB?

I wouldn't suggest doing the latter, as you may possibly use it later, for a dual tuner, a second VAST decoder, or just as a back-up. Removing a flylead from the wallplate... no problem.

If your VAST signals are working OK, I would suggest there's no need for any adjustment to the LNB.

When Foxtel installs dishes, the LNB is optimised for their horizontally-polarised signals, so a slight tweek on the vertical VAST signals can help, but only if they are intermittent now.

Adjusting the LNB would require you being able to see a signal quality scale on a meter or screen connected at the dish and adjusting LNB skew whilst tuned to a VAST transponder to obtain the highest signal quality (highest MER/lowest BER).

As I said, if it's working, no need to do anything.

Your Humax is still a current model and firmware updates are automatic over the air, as far as I'm aware.

If it's working, I personally wouldn't be changing anything.

Thanks

Great response, mtv, thank you!

I was only referring to the removal of the wallplate flylead, and you are right about leaving the cable run behind the wall.

I also need to shorten the one remaining lead ... I probably have the tool somewhere. What cable type would it be, I wonder? Any great videos or webpages on doing this?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    I also need to shorten the one remaining lead ... I probably have the tool somewhere. What cable type would it be, I wonder? Any great videos or webpages on doing this?
    The coax is most likely RG6 Quadshield, however, Foxtel have also used RG6 Trishield.

Check for printed markings on the cable... it's important because the connector must match the cable type. (Trishield is a little smaller in diameter than Quadshield).

You'll need a stripping tool for the size of cable (you can do it with a knife, but it's a lot harder) compression or crimp connectors and the matching tool for the connector type used.

There's lots of Youtube 'how-to' vids.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Sunshine Coast (07-04-18)

Thanks

perfect, thank you.

Thanks

It's tri-shield RG6. I'm going to buy a compression tool to put new F type connectors on the shortened cable (they run about $15 on eBay)

Another question: is the existing connector crimped or compressed?

If crimped, I'll replace with compressed at both ends
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 07-04-18 at 02:07 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

The pic is of a "double bubble" compression connector (very poorly fitted too I might add... with some shield strands hanging out).

These are different from common compression connectors.

Trishield isn't used much these days and connectors are harder to source.

What I would recommend you do is replace the whole flylead with a length of RG6 Quadshield using compression connectors.

Thanks

Thanks. The compression tool kit I am looking at comes with a bunch of compression fittings that Amazon reviews suggest are not good for quad shield. You can see the kit here:

So should I get quad even though the image is great with trishield?

Administrator
    Thanks

The image quality will be no different with Trishield or Quadshield.

The kit in your pic isn't suitable for RG6... says it's for RG59.

The compression connectors shown in the pic are also cheap Chinese rubbish.

are the connectors I use and recommend. There are numerous other suppliers.

Any common compression tool will work with them.

The reason I've recommended Quadshield is the connectors are more readily available.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Sunshine Coast (07-04-18),Tiny (07-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The kit in your pic isn't suitable for RG6... says it's for RG59.
    RG59 and RG6 it says. Some of the reviewers complain that the kit only contains RG6

The compression connectors shown in the pic are also cheap Chinese rubbish.
    Yes, although many reviews say that they seem adequate, so I'll try them and if there are any problems, buy the ones you recommend.

Thanks again!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    RG59 and RG6 it says. Some of the reviewers complain that the kit only contains RG6
    There's conflicting/misleading info on the description.

Suitable for coaxial cables rg-58, rg-59 rg-62 rg-3c/4C, 4P/6P/8P flat wire and Twisted pair.

Nowhere in that list does it include RG6. It mentions RG62, which is entirely different from RG6.

RG62 is 93 ohms impedance... RG6 (for terrestrial and satellite TV is 75 ohms.)

The blurb also says the kit includes: 20 x Compression Connectors... but it doesn't specify for what size cable.

Let's know how you get on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    There's conflicting/misleading info on the description.

Suitable for coaxial cables rg-58, rg-59 rg-62 rg-3c/4C, 4P/6P/8P flat wire and Twisted pair.

Nowhere in that list does it include RG6. It mentions RG62, which is entirely different from RG6.
    The item title is "YXGOOD YXG-7299 Compression Tool RG6 RG59 Coaxial Connectors Crimper Cable "

The blurb also says the kit includes: 20 x Compression Connectors... but it doesn't specify for what size cable.
    Yes, but the reviews mention RG6 connectors sent, e.g.

"This is a good set. Good RG6 connectors, great crimper, and a very Joe-average stripper that's certainly good enough to use a few dozen times."

"I finally decided to try compression connectors for my RG6 cables and found this set at a good price. The compression tool and the supplied compression connectors worked perfectly. "

"Only rg6 connector no rg59"

"Expected rg59 connectors but only ended up getting rg6."

Let's know how you get on.
    Will do!

Administrator
    Thanks

Yep... I know what the title said, but the blurb written contradicts it, as per my post.

Yes, the review mentions RG6 connectors, but it doesn't specify for what cable type they are Duadshied, Trishield, or Quadshield.

All three have different cable thicknesses, so as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's important to use the correct size connector to match the cable size.

Whilst this has no effect for your use, the blurb also says it is suitable for 4C, 4P/6P/8P flat wire and Twisted pair.... but it isn't.

Both the stripping tool and the compression tool are for coax cables only... once again, misleading info.

Anyway, it's good value for the tools, so you won't lose if the connectors aren't the best.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Sunshine Coast (08-04-18),Tiny (08-04-18)

Thanks

After taking into account your warnings, I've gone ahead and simply bought a pre-configured quad flylead from eBay ("RG6 QUAD Shield TV Antenna Coax Cable 75 Ohm / F Type Male To F Type Male"). Price $7.90 delivered.

Simpler, and I don't think I can justify buying the tools (can't see myself using them again)

Thanks a lot for the advice!