Thread: Database recommendations

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Database recommendations

I asked this on a Linux Forum late last night and already have had one or two useful suggestions, but I want to see what you blokes recmmend, too

I cut my teeth on procedural databases back in 80s moving to Access in the late 90s. Now I have moved away from all thing M$ I'm looking for a good replacement, Libre Office does not have the grunt and a version of SQL seems to be a logical successor. My requirements are somewhat complex in that I have normalised my database into several related tables along with other lookup tables. SQL seems to fill the bill admirably. However... All my searching does not seem to provide me with a clear cut path. Am I correct in assuming that the database back end (e.g. MYSQL) is only a back end and that I need a high level programming language to access that database?

I am aware that many fora are based on this principle and, as such, may be a path forward. What would you recommend as a solution similar to Access/VBA in the *nix world, ideally, cross platform would be useful.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I asked this on a Linux Forum late last night and already have had one or two useful suggestions
    Since nobody here has answered you, I'd be interested to see what they came up with. I use MySQL for logging weather station data and events from my various security systems and sensors around the place. At present, I use a hodge-podge of PHP scripts to query it and do graphs using "Grafana". There has to be a better way.

It's a shame they don't do FileMaker for Linux. I wouldn't think it would take much to port it across, since Apple run it under Mac OS X. Many people who have been exposed to "proper" relational databases hate FileMaker and I admit that it does seriously mess with your mind when you are used to creating relational databases. Having said that, as a tool to quickly throw together a database (or a front-end to MS-SQL or MySQL), I've never found anything easier and quicker to use.

As with Access, FileMaker's biggest problem is that it sometimes allows people who shouldn't be messing with computers to create a huge, awful mess that is very expensive to and time consuming to fix!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I used filemaker a bit way back when I sold 'puters. We sold IBM, but were owned by an Apple Centre, so I had an LCII on my desk. As you said, it's a good package, were in not for the fact that it is a flat file db. If 'twere truly relational, I'd be eating fruit now.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...